• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

My dinner tonight has been an avocado with a vinaigrette and a couple of cheese sandwiches.

This was not my plan. Very much not my plan. No damned relation of my plan!

I planned a simple, but delicious prawn curry. I spent all day waiting for my yoghurt to be ready. 8 hours plus cooling time.

Unusually, and probably for the last time, I intended to use some frozen prawns which I set to defrost. As I was slicing some shallots for the curry sauce, I noticed a vague odd smell around the kitchen but couldn't locate its source at first.

I stuck some rice in the rice cooker and continued the search. I checked my garbage disposal arrangements, but they were fine. I sniffed at the drains. I even hung my head out the window to see if it was one of my neighbours.

Then, as the prawns defrosted, it became clear. They were rank. I swear, those critters were last fresh when Chairman Mao was a boy. They stank. I have wrapped them in several layers of plastic wrap, carried them down six floors to the furthest away garbage dump in my residential area and I can still smell them.

Unfortunately, I'm off at 5:30 am on one of my too regular trips and have no meaningful substitute. Fortunately, I had baked some bread and have cheddar in my fridge, so that's dinner. With my favourite mango relish.

I'll survive, but I was looking forward to a nice Ruby.

liuzhou

liuzhou

My dinner tonight has been an avocado with a vinaigrette and a couple of cheese sandwiches.

This was not my plan. Very much not my plan. No damned relation of my plan!

I planned a simple, but delicious prawn curry. I spent all day waiting for my yoghurt to be ready. 8 hours plus cooling time.

Unusually, and probably for the last time, I used some frozen prawns which I set to defrost. As I was slicing some shallots for the curry sauce, I noticed an odd smell around the kitchen but couldn't locate its source at first.

I stuck some rice in the rice cooker and continued the search. I checked my garbage disposal arrangements, but they were fine. I sniffed at the drains. I even hung my head out the window to see if it was one of my neighbours.

Then as the prawns defrosted it became clear. They were rank. I swear, those critters were last fresh when Chairman Mao was a boy. They stank. I have wrapped them in several layers of plastic wrap, carried them down six floors to the furthest away garbage dump in my residential area and I can still smell them.

Unfortunately, I'm off at 5:30 am on one of my too regular trips and have no meaningful substitute. Fortunately, I had baked some bread and have cheddar in my fridge, so that's dinner. With my favourite mango relish.

I'll survive, but I was looking forward to a nice Ruby.