• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red snapper from the oven – a light and elegant dinner in half an hour

Kasia

Today we had fresh fillets of red snapper on our table. Raw red snapper is light red, but after baking the meat is white and mild. I served it with green asparagus spears and an interesting tasting salsa with low-salt cucumbers. A big asset of this dish is its flavour, spectacular looks and that it only took 30 minutes to prepare. I like this kind of dish!

Ingredients (for 4 people)
800g of red snapper fillets
6 sprigs of thyme
3 sprigs of rosemary
4 cloves of garlic (unpeeled)
salt, white pepper
salsa
4 low-salt cucumbers
half a red pepper
half a chili pepper
2 cloves of garlic (peeled)
4 tablespoons of minced chives
2 teaspoons of honey
the juice from half a lemon
other ingredients:
2 bunches of asparagus spears

Firstly, prepare the salsa. Dice the low-salt cucumber and red pepper. Chop the garlic and chili pepper. Mix in the cucumbers, two kinds of pepper, garlic and chives. Spice it up with the lemon juice and honey. Leave in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a casserole dish with some baking paper. Sprinkle it with some olive oil. Cut the fillets of fish into pieces (whatever size suits you) and spice them up with salt and white pepper. Put them and the rosemary, garlic and thyme on the baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
Wash the asparagus spears, remove the lignified parts and boil them al dente for 8-10 minutes in lightly salted water.
Arrange the asparagus spears, two tablespoons of salsa and the pieces of fish on a plate. Decorate with a bit of salsa and the thyme sprigs.

DSC_1516a.jpg

• Like 3

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

On 6/14/2017 at 5:18 PM, lindag said:

what's a low-salt cucumber?  You mean they're not all the same?

@lindagI will try to explain however this may be difficult due to English translation and Polish cousin specificity. We recognize in Poland fresh cucumber and pickled cucumber (gherkin). Low- salt cucumber is something in-between - this is the cucumber which is pickled for a very short time - just for few days (2-3). They are not pickled yet but at the same time not fresh anymore.

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 1

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

1 hour ago, Kasia said:

@lindagI will try to explain however this may be difficult due to English translation and Polish cousin specificity. We recognize in Poland fresh cucumber and pickled cucumber (gherkin). Low- salt cucumber is something in-between - this is the cucumber which is pickled for a very short time - just for few days (2-3). They are not pickled yet but at the same time not fresh anymore.

I think we call them "quickles". 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Kasia said:

@Anna N It is possible however I have seen them on the YouTube cut into slices - we do them without cutting

@Kasia - next time you make them, please consider taking some photos of your process and posting about it.  

I never would have guessed that 'low-salt' cucumbers are actually briefly pickled.  I would love learn more about this.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kasia said:

@Anna N It is possible however I have seen them on the YouTube cut into slices - we do them without cutting

I don't think they have to be cut.  It would depend very much on the size and type of cucumber.   But yes it would be great if you posted photographs of your process.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On June 14, 2017 at 11:18 AM, lindag said:

what's a low-salt cucumber?  You mean they're not all the same?

I think the OP is referring to half sour pickles.  Low salt would a direct translation of the Russian малосольные огурцы.  I believe there is a similar term in Polish language.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chefmd said:

I think the OP is referring to half sour pickles.  Low salt would a direct translation of the Russian малосольные огурцы.  I believe there is a similar term in Polish language.

It is exactly the same - "ogórki małosolne" :)

Kasia Warsaw/Poland