• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey in Ganache

I keep running to you with all my questions! This community always have the best answers.

I am wondering about the use of honey in ganache to act like invert sugar - binding with the water to lower the Aw. Has anyone used it successfully in the capacity? I usually use invert sugar in my ganaches, but I there are some more health-conscious customers that I know would love to see me move away from sugar. I'm not sure that I am willing to do it, but I will certainly explore the option! 

My main concerns are efficacy at preserving, its taste, and its texture. My personal experience has been that is is difficult to get the flavour of honey to challenge the more dominant flavour of chocolate, so I'm not exceedingly worried about the honey flavour being too strong. However, honey does crystallize when left to sit, unlike invert sugar. Has anyone experienced honey crystallizing in ganache or do the other ingredients present prevent it from doing so? I will eventually be doing some experimenting, but I thought I would test the waters first. 

Thanks!

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

My invert sugar crystallizes when it sits.

I've not had the invert sugar or the honey actually crystalize in a ganache however. 

I would suggest that you do the exploration - replace the invert one for one with honey and evaluate the flavor, texture and keeping properties over time.

I used creamed honey in a dark chocolate ganache, and found no crystallization whatsoever.  ( The use of creamed honey was precipitated by my kids using up the more liquid form, and I had a small container of creamed honey for spreading on toast. So, I used the creamed.)   I was merely experimenting with the flavors, and I found that the honey flavor was pleasant when coupled with Guitard's 72%.   Customers enjoyed it as well, so I'keeping that one on the standard production list.  

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Thanks for the input! I will definitely experiment. I did two experimental batches - they got eaten too soon to gain the information I wanted, haha. 

I guess my invert sugar does crystallize, but it still seems to have a smoother texture where honey seems to get a little gritty. It's reassuring to hear that it doesn't seem to crystallize in ganache. I guess I will have to see what the texture is like.

@AnythingButPlainChocolate How did you find the texture to be? 

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers