• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Chats Up Chicago

@Alleguede and I are in the Chicago area (Lombard actually) for the Retail Confectioners International trade show for a few days. We flew out of Buffalo - stopped in for a brief visit with @patris on the way.

I've had a crap load of stuff going on in the last few days - and my sleep has been disturbed significantly for most of a week - so my brain isn't functioning as well as it should. I will have to remember to start taking some pictures. @Alleguede managed to get a couple.

IMG_2208.JPG.4299dacd0a57e1dc7256ec6efef502f6.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG.262155ceae3469125f414667b1ecebc8.JPG

A small amount of this chocolate milkshake was what I enjoyed on the plane - it was from the Checkers franchise in the airport. I'm hoping my appetite improves soon as we have some reservations upcoming that I would like to enjoy. 

IMG_2203.JPG.3d48805d2a5d30da47e5beb43b418467.JPG

• Like 5

Another road trip for us as I showed up 1hr late at Kerry's door. Wasn't me - Goûter and Toronto tourist (who can't drive) made me do it. So we then drove to Patty's in Bison city. She fed us a glass of water and tea for the illish Doctor Beal.

After a good chat and sharing of the bread and kouign Amanns (best in town :-)) we headed to the practical airport of Buffalo national Airport.

As I was a touch hungry, at checkers I had a chicken sandwich eaten between two people slightly anti social like me. To replace the picture I will ask you to close your eyes. Don't cheat. Think of a big not juicy super dry piece of chicken tender from a place like KFC. Add some hard lettuce pieces and a whip it style mayonnaise in between a soggy pancake bun. To compare even the worst McDonald's is about 11 times better and 6$ cheaper. Time for a chip fila or in and out that make America such a reputable country (and Donald off course :-))

I just discovered the southwest seating system. It amused me especially the lack of civility amongst people. Goes back to making America such an awesome country. 

We are about 31 km away from the golden mile so I think today we are going to start Kerry's pre Parisian training. Subway hoping, much walking, little resting, and food because I'm a growing boy and need food. Goûter doesn't let me eat enough. 

Anyhow time for our continental breakfast at the club lounge 3 floors above because our spy status (which would be cool however it's SPG which is the loyalty card of Marriott customers - FYI Kerry is catching all my autocorrect typos) has not made it super elite yet hahahaha.

please read in between my sarcasm I'm practising my tactful correctness 

please apologize for my typos and French words in advance - the society and school system made me like this (my mom is an angel and so am I lol)

Edited by Alleguede (log)
  • Like 8

Today we are heading into the Windy City to visit at the Cacao Barry Chocolate Academy. We need pictures of myself with Jerome Landrieu - who is the director of the academy - and their EZtemper. We also want to visit with Karl who is marketing for Cacao Barry in the US as he has been very kind and arranged chocolate for us for most of the trade shows we have done in the US so we don't need to bring it along. Apparently we need to get going if we are going to arrive in time!

• Like 6

image.thumb.jpeg.3c289d96c1b6e7e19b1d062a1699453c.jpeg

This was unbelievably sweet so I abandoned it

image.thumb.jpeg.f97d6bb7ff7894d8014d9295e197d1f7.jpeg

For this - not sure what's been added to the granola or perhaps my taste buds are off

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alleguede said:

please read in between my sarcasm I'm practising my tactful correctness 

please apologize for my typos and French words in advance - the society and school system made me like this (my mom is an angel and so am I lol)

@Alleguedee, please continue to post about this trip and anything else that comes to mind!  I am very much enjoying your witty observations!

• Like 2

Shake Shack for lunch - going to start with the chocolate malted and see how that sits - I'm sure @Alleguede will eat a second burger if I Peter out 

image.thumb.jpeg.27a2bd3c54f15e90a0a25796fbb141de.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4100480f774066c7d5ab0a98be32c706.jpeg

Edited by Kerry Beal
Oops forgot pictures (log)
  • Like 6

Hellman's?  Hellman's?   You are being dragged to the Darkside obviously.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You guys think I don't sleep - most of the time I do unless I'm working or the rug rat is having an issue. @Alleguede has a patisserie so he is up early and still up late. So when he gets away from home he sleeps constantly. In spite of having a driver who doesn't exemplify the best of what Uber has to offer - here's our boy about 10 minutes towards home from the Magnificent Mile.

IMG_2224.JPG.9807045fe18cc27b1829768b0e7db4bc.JPG

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hellman's?  Hellman's?   You are being dragged to the Darkside obviously.

What's wrong with Hellman's?

It isn't Miracle Whip.

• Like 3

This morning my appetite is improved - unfortunately our food choices did not.

This is what they were serving at the breakfast before the general meeting - 

IMG_2238.JPG.a2b058679d7fc3611f27140802dec2da.JPG

Those are not grits, nor mashed potatoes - it's a pile of egg whites. Didn't eat.

IMG_2240.JPG.2cb76bcf24ab121e58e5a893adf79677.JPG

Followed by one bite of that chocolate muffin. Yuk.

So then we headed upstairs to the SPG lounge 

IMG_2241.JPG.4398c24c9be03ac95bba1805ce4e7928.JPG

Took about 15 minutes to get a little color on this bagel (and I use the term bagel loosely - its a round bun).

IMG_2243.JPG.d21076f48fcaa2868cf716457316ba75.JPG

Had a few nuts and fruits to finish off. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You must have been up to your usual nonsense of doing good deeds right,  left and centre and now you're being appropriately punished for such behaviour.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I dunno...unsolicited egg whites? Even on a "no good deed goes unpunished" basis, that's edging into Mother Teresa territory. :P

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2238.JPG.a2b058679d7fc3611f27140802dec2da.JPG

That really belongs in the gallery of regrettable foods.and those sausages are obscene. 

• Like 10

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Oh my. If that's not sad on a plate, then I don't know what is.  What in the world is going on with those sausages??  

Hope some tastier grub comes your way.  

Following along with interest - thanks for documenting!

• Like 3

Sad continued at the Barry Callebaut reception - although the shrimp that landed in my mouth was very good. The sweets left a little something to be desired.

IMG_2250.jpg.3bd9d70e97c67b3cffe0f20cbaaab519.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg.e3de9907fdad998423b2d61fe9d5267e.jpg

• Like 1