• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Chats Up Chicago

15 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Sounds like a definition of dinner theatre to me. Apart from the theatre aspect, was the food satisfying as a meal?

Up to a point - a few dishes completely missed the mark. The food snobs that we are probably made us more critical than the average diner would be. I loved the popcorn! They need work on their chocolate skills!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7

I was born a peasant and I will surely die a peasant.  I might concede that it could appeal as theatre to nourish the soul  but never as food to nourish the body.  But perhaps that is its intent.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was born a peasant and I will surely die a peasant.  I might concede that it could appeal as theatre to nourish the soul  but never as food to nourish the body.  But perhaps that is its intent.  

The best parts of the theatre were watching the other diners and the wait staff dancing around each other. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Up to a point - a few dishes completely missed the mark. The food snobs that we are probably made us more critical than the average diner would be. I loved the popcorn! They need work on their chocolate skills!

Did you offer your services to them? (Please?)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

11 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Did you offer your services to them? (Please?)

Nah- tried to be tactful instead! Did comment on the heat of the kitchen making storage of their bonbons an issue to the chef when we were checking out the kitchen.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2017 at 9:09 AM, Alleguede said:

Here is the final menu.

Cool hand Luke:

maltitol egg shell filled with trout roe, puffed brown rice, compressed cucumbers, horseradish puree

And Paul Newman, his gorgeous blue eyes firing icicles like 30.06 slugs, is doing double back flips in his grave.

"God? I know I might be what you might call a hard case. But you got to admit, you ain't dealt me no cards in a long, long time."

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com