• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I've been gifted a large slab of Alivenci - a Romanian cake made of cornmeal, farmers cheese, sour cream, butter and vanilla. 

Served warm with mulberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

IMG_20200502_124315.jpg

IMG_20200506_111456.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, shain said:

I've been gifted a large slab of Alivenci - a Romanian cake made of cornmeal, farmers cheese, sour cream, butter and vanilla. 

Served warm with mulberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Always on the lookout for gluten free recipes. I looked online and most recipes seem to be in, well, Romanian, and reading Romanian is not in my skill set. Did said wedge of cake come with a recipe?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Always on the lookout for gluten free recipes. I looked online and most recipes seem to be in, well, Romanian, and reading Romanian is not in my skill set. Did said wedge of cake come with a recipe?

I've been promised the recipe. I'll be sure to post it.

~ Shai N.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:30 PM, kayb said:

Alivenci

Disclaimer - I have yet to try and make this recipe.

- 500 ml whole milk

- 100g cornmeal (fine cornmeal is prefered)

- 80 g butter

- 150g sugar (can be adjusted to taste, it can even be made savory, with some additional salt, and adjustments to flavorings)

- 1/2 tsp salt (my suggested addition)

- 1/8 tsp baking soda (my suggested addition, to slightly reduce the acidity. Skip this if your farmer cheese is not acidic)

- 6 eggs

- 500g farmers cheese - aka quark, kash, tvorog - a very dry and acidic cheese, apx 5% fat

- 150g lean sour cream (15% fat) (you can substitute yogurt or full fat sour cream)

- 2 tsp vanilla extract

- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I would have added more)

- Bring milk to a boil and add cornmeal, butter, sugar, salt and baking soda.

- Cook while mixing until thickened.

- Cool a little then mix in farmers cheese, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon.

- Taste and adjust.

- Pour into a well greased baking pan.

- Bake in medium heat (180d C, I believe) for 40-50 minutes, until the top is well browned.

- Serve while slightly warm. With sour cream, whipped cream, fruits or preserves.

- Can be stored in the fridge and reheated.

~ Shai N.

Ok, everyone.  Might want to sit down for this one.  I made pie crust from scratch and for the first time ever it didn't suck.  Will I be able to make that magic happen ever again?  Prolly not. 🤣

Strawberry rhubarb pi (rhubarb from my Mom--she picks it for me and brings frozen when she visits :) )

thumbnail_IMG_7777.jpg.fe3540bb3c7352232227067a93b4d1a2.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby - Brava!!!!!  That looks absolutely perfect!  👏  (those are supposed to be clapping hands.  Kind of strange looking, huh?)  What method/recipe did you use? 

It's going to sound strange....the recipe called it strawberry rhubarb cobbler, but the picture looked just like pie crust to me.  And ...it's just like pie crust only it's the weirdest recipe I've ever seen for that.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup canola oil

1/3 cup warm water

I put the dry ingredients in the bowl first, stirred, and then poured the wet in and stirred.  It's a soft dough.  I put it between 2 pieces of parchment and rolled it out.  Felt just like good pie crust to me.  Turned the parchment over on top of my pie plate (I didn't do a bottom crust because I think with rhubarb it gets too mushy) and baked for 40 mins at 425 on convection setting in CSO.

I ALWAYS struggle with the kind of recipes that tell you to cut the butter into the flour.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It's going to sound strange....the recipe called it strawberry rhubarb cobbler, but the picture looked just like pie crust to me.  And ...it's just like pie crust only it's the weirdest recipe I've ever seen for that.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup canola oil

1/3 cup warm water

I put the dry ingredients in the bowl first, stirred, and then poured the wet in and stirred.  It's a soft dough.  I put it between 2 pieces of parchment and rolled it out.  Felt just like good pie crust to me.  Turned the parchment over on top of my pie plate (I didn't do a bottom crust because I think with rhubarb it gets too mushy) and baked for 40 mins at 425 on convection setting in CSO.

I ALWAYS struggle with the kind of recipes that tell you to cut the butter into the flour.  

It does sound strange.  But your crust is proof!  It made enough for a complete top crust?  I want to try this!

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

It does sound strange.  But your crust is proof!  It made enough for a complete top crust?  I want to try this!

Yes---I had enough left over to make a cinnamon/sugar dough thing that my grammy used to make with leftover pie crust.  I made a smaller pie--didn't have a lot of strawberries or rhubarb.  If I was doing a normal size I'd double the recipe.  Might be some left over..... or maybe 1 and half times the recipe.

Also, I didn't have canola oil so I used veg. oil. 

• Thanks 1

I've been watching a few of the King Arthur Flour videos that they have been posting recently and one of them included this cake... It was tasty but tastes a lot more like a regular box mix chocolate cake than a rich dark chocolate cake. Great videos, I really enjoy watching Jeffrey Hamelman. He makes so many difficult things look so easy (watching a master at work). And yes, a corner is missing... I had to check if the cake would be fine on its own or if I wanted to make the frosting recipe... then I had to check if the frosting worked well with the cake.  When I made the frosting, I added some chocolate chunks when mixing & melting. :wink: 

18204644_IMG_6062-KAFCakePanCake.jpg.f1229799f58e4b7dbcfb60f8aad5880d.jpg

link to the video

links to the recipes used

- https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/king-arthurs-original-cake-pan-cake-recipe

- https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/fudge-frosting-recipe

• Like 6

CI’s Thin & Crispy Oatmeal Cookies:

IMG_2106.jpg.740bc581feac0ebd5b3ef796c6c1aa0b.jpg

Very good.  To me, they could have used a little cinnamon.  Prettified:

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.0279ff67b26cab2b6d15f7175608ab8d.jpg

😁

My BIL came east for a few days and brought some seasonings that he made with his citrus in AZ:

IMG_2113.thumb.jpg.80e8623e348ade1cce0f256ed4b09039.jpg

The one on the left is citrus, cinnamon, ginger, coconut, and sugar.  If I’d had them before I made the cookies, that one would have gone in them. (I'm still mad at him for making an unnecessary trip, but the seasonings are delicious).

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

CI’s Thin & Crispy Oatmeal Cookies:

IMG_2106.jpg.740bc581feac0ebd5b3ef796c6c1aa0b.jpg

Very good.  To me, they could have used a little cinnamon.  Prettified:

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.0279ff67b26cab2b6d15f7175608ab8d.jpg

😁

My BIL came east for a few days and brought some seasonings that he made with his citrus in AZ:

IMG_2113.thumb.jpg.80e8623e348ade1cce0f256ed4b09039.jpg

The one on the left is citrus, cinnamon, ginger, coconut, and sugar.  If I’d had them before I made the cookies, that one would have gone in them. (I'm still mad at him for making an unnecessary trip, but the seasonings are delicious).

Can you / he be more specific about that citrus basil mix? It sounds like an interesting combination.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown