• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I always have delusions of grandeur for Halloween (like the Corpse Bride cake I wanna make) then fizzle out 😑. Just made some spice cookie cut outs into character sticks.

711D5CE2-DD79-47B9-B5F6-09E75D84C087.jpeg

Edited by RWood (log)
  • Like 19
  • Haha 1

The best pumpkin bread/loaf I've ever tasted was a gift from a friend.  I asked her for the recipe and she graciously gave it to me.   The World's Best Pumpkin Bread.  Not fancy.  But so moist and delicious.  I 'll make it over and over again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I made vanilla marshmallows and took some to Cat Neighbor ... first time she’s ever had them homemade (she didn’t know you could make them homemade) .. I think she must’ve eaten 10 while I was standing there talking with her ... she said they were fluffy, plush, creamy, pillows - oh my word - so not Kraft ... 

Well, I was sort of hoping for better than Kraft 😂🤣

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

I made oatmeal cream pie cookie bars for Mr Cat today (Oatmeal Cream Pie Bars?) ... well - bars because too lazy to make a bunch of 🍪 😕😂🤷🏻‍♀️👀 ... he said they were *very* tasty - just the right amount of soft and chewy ... Cat Son stopped by for a sampling, also - then umm - went to the gym to 🏋️♂️ 🤣

• Like 3

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Began work on a dessert I'm doing for a dinner party this weekend.  It is a green apple sorbet.  I got the recipe from @Lisa2k at least 10 years ago.  The last time that I made it, we had to get the giant whole fruit juicer out of the attic.  This time, I just used the Vitamix.  Granny Smith juice:

DSCN0360.thumb.JPG.07564613488f859a67c48662e7117f52.JPG

Added lemon juice, sugar syrup, and a couple of glugs of this:

DSCN0361.thumb.JPG.75183df4bffe9af7c7d046e213cb4db0.JPG

• Like 6

I am planning to make an apple tart for the dinner party on Saturday.  I've make it before, but not for a LONG time.  It has a base of mascarpone and fig and the apples and glaze on top.  I really need to make it on Friday.   With the mascarpone, I know it needs to be refrigerated.  I'm thinking that I should refrigerate unglazed, bring to room temperature on Saturday and glaze when room temp.  Does this sound right??  Thanks!

Last week, Ben Mims shared a recipe for California Persimmon Torte in the LA Times, his variation on the Marian Burros Plum Torte from the NYT.   I baked a half-sized recipe in a 6-inch springform pan. 

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.5f90950731ee76473959b43ed7e7e962.jpeg

His changes were to reduce the sugar to 2/3 cup, increase the lemon juice to 1T and add ground ginger & turmeric (1/2 t each) and 1 t vanilla. 

I'd prefer to let lovely crisp-sweet Fuyu persimmons shine in a salad rather than baking them like this but it's nice to have another fall-winter option for this cake. 

• Like 10

On 11/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Last week, Ben Mims shared a recipe for California Persimmon Torte in the LA Times, his variation on the Marian Burros Plum Torte from the NYT.   I baked a half-sized recipe in a 6-inch springform pan. 

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.5f90950731ee76473959b43ed7e7e962.jpeg

His changes were to reduce the sugar to 2/3 cup, increase the lemon juice to 1T and add ground ginger & turmeric (1/2 t each) and 1 t vanilla. 

I'd prefer to let lovely crisp-sweet Fuyu persimmons shine in a salad rather than baking them like this but it's nice to have another fall-winter option for this cake. 

Since the Hachiyas need to be cooked anyway, do you think you'd prefer them to the Fuyus in this torte?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Since the Hachiyas need to be cooked anyway, do you think you'd prefer them to the Fuyus in this torte?

But wouldn't you lose the textural element? Those pudding ones are like a puree.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

But wouldn't you lose the textural element? Those pudding ones are like a puree.

That's possible. The article said that the fruit will disappear into mush if it is soft-ripe. I wonder about the astingency in typical Hachiyas if they aren't dead-ripe, but the article says either will work. I guess we'll all just have to try it, won't we? :) 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I think Fuyus are the best choice here as I agree with @heidih that dead ripe Hachiyas would turn into mush and even though the article says that either are OK, it also says the fruit should still be somewhat firm and that would surely be unpleasantly astringent if they were Hachiyas.

As is often the case with this cake, the flavors improved or melded on sitting and I liked it a lot more than when I tasted it still warm.

Ripe Hachiyas might work if paired with another, firmer fruit but I don't think I'd like them on their own. If I'd remembered to buy some at the farmers market, I could try a Hachiya persimmon & cranberry torte but I didn't so pear & cranberry may be up next!

• Like 1

My cosplayer friend always asks for some kind of Thor related cake. He didn’t mention it this year, but I told his roommate I was going to make him a small cake, not sure what though. The kitchen is a mess with remodeling, so I knew it wouldn’t be too crazy. 
Took a little experimenting,  but I made a small Stormbreaker for the cake, with airbrushed lightning. Dark chocolate cake, sour cream raspberry ganache and fresh raspberries. He loved it 😊

911CB69D-2D55-49FB-89DC-3432F9294975.jpeg

AAE7CB09-9289-4023-89AF-938E3B672521.jpeg

• Like 14

8 hours ago, RWood said:

Took a little experimenting,  but I made a small Stormbreaker for the cake, with airbrushed lightning. Dark chocolate cake, sour cream raspberry ganache and fresh raspberries. He loved it 😊

We definitely need a WOW! emoji. Fantastic job. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, RWood said:

My cosplayer friend always asks for some kind of Thor related cake. He didn’t mention it this year, but I told his roommate I was going to make him a small cake, not sure what though. The kitchen is a mess with remodeling, so I knew it wouldn’t be too crazy. 

AAE7CB09-9289-4023-89AF-938E3B672521.jpeg

Love this photo for so many reasons.

His expression, the Fabio'esque hair and the wristband...awesome!

Oh and the cake aint too shabby either ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A custard (clafouti style), flavored with orange zest, vanilla, anise, brown sugar, and a generous drizzle of dark rum. With a filling of poppy seed pudding. Some good ricotta on the side.

IMG_20191108_205221.jpg

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

13 hours ago, RWood said:

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Blueberry Pie ready for the oven.

1786381012_BlueberryPieNovember16th2019.thumb.jpg.02fdf357bcfba7f9c1742634072c14a7.jpg

Baking as I type.

Two absolute works of art. I am in awe of each of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com