Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pjm333

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

Recommended Posts

Kouign Amann from William Curley's book (I love that man!! I want to go work with him some day soon!!)

I broke the butter though, they were still pretty great. Next time European butter!! 

20190911_153610.jpg

  • Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Vanessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, Desiderio said:

Kouign Amann from William Curley's book (I love that man!! I want to go work with him some day soon!!)

I broke the butter though, they were still pretty great. Next time European butter!! 

20190911_153610.jpg

 

That looks scrumy.

It looks like you didn't do the steam thing. I wonder how it would work with a bowl of water to create the steam.


Edited by oli (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More adventures in office confections. We have a temporary staff person who has a severe peanut allergy, which made me realize that I use peanuts or peanut butter (and other nuts as well) in the vast majority of the chocolates I make to share with colleagues every week or two. So, although this person works on a different floor and our responsibilities mean that our paths will not likely cross often if at all, I have challenged myself to stay away from nuts in the office treats during their time with us, which will extend into mid-November. I had been thinking about combining caramel and marshmallow and wanted to play around a bit, so I made a sheet of @Kerry Beal‘s chewy caramel from EGCI and tried layering it.

 

D3FF5051-2CBB-442D-9F07-B29F4955716E.thumb.jpeg.de23a5f87db5e6605af62e0689a82ba4.jpeg

 

The first experiment is on is on the left - pumpkin spice marshmallow. I spread half the batch into a quarter sheet pan, laid on a thin sheet of caramel, and topped that with the other half of the batch. Incredibly tasty, but really difficult to work with as the layers kept sliding around, even as the chocolate was crystallizing. The photo doesn’t show it but these are some of the homeliest candies I have ever made. 

 

I decided to try again, this time with brown sugar espresso marshmallow. I divided the batch between two quarter sheet pans, and when they had firmed up a bit I used some dark chocolate to glue the caramel sheet between them. Worked a treat, though I think next time I will use a much thinner layer of chocolate. I decided to dip these up to their shoulders in dark chocolate, then dip the tops in caramelized white chocolate. We shall see how they go over with my work peeps.

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, patris said:

More adventures in office confections. We have a temporary staff person who has a severe peanut allergy, which made me realize that I use peanuts or peanut butter (and other nuts as well) in the vast majority of the chocolates I make to share with colleagues every week or two. So, although this person works on a different floor and our responsibilities mean that our paths will not likely cross often if at all, I have challenged myself to stay away from nuts in the office treats during their time with us, which will extend into mid-November. I had been thinking about combining caramel and marshmallow and wanted to play around a bit, so I made a sheet of @Kerry Beal‘s chewy caramel from EGCI and tried layering it.

 

D3FF5051-2CBB-442D-9F07-B29F4955716E.thumb.jpeg.de23a5f87db5e6605af62e0689a82ba4.jpeg

 

The first experiment is on is on the left - pumpkin spice marshmallow. I spread half the batch into a quarter sheet pan, laid on a thin sheet of caramel, and topped that with the other half of the batch. Incredibly tasty, but really difficult to work with as the layers kept sliding around, even as the chocolate was crystallizing. The photo doesn’t show it but these are some of the homeliest candies I have ever made. 

 

I decided to try again, this time with brown sugar espresso marshmallow. I divided the batch between two quarter sheet pans, and when they had firmed up a bit I used some dark chocolate to glue the caramel sheet between them. Worked a treat, though I think next time I will use a much thinner layer of chocolate. I decided to dip these up to their shoulders in dark chocolate, then dip the tops in caramelized white chocolate. We shall see how they go over with my work peeps.

I suspect they will go over well!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birthday cake for my father, almost two weeks ago.

Hazelnut and walnut tart, soaked with brandy, brushed with chestnut jam, and whipped cream flavored with chestnut paste and almond extract.

 

 

IMG_20190817_220208.jpg

IMG_20190817_221101.jpg


Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A variation on Rob's peanut butter pie (I have the book but he's shared the recipe online in a few different places so I linked one). Chocolate crumb crust with a thin layer of chocolate peanut butter ganache under the peanut butter filling and chocolate whipped cream on top. He'll tell you it's the best peanut butter pie and he won't be lying, it doesn't need my additions... but this was for a friend who likes chocolate with her peanut butter. 

pie123.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Napoleon. Turned puff pastry dough 6 times and rested overnight. Mousseline filling. 

43E86ABF-6B59-49D3-9042-1DB59F6CA494.jpeg


Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DA2B80AC-F634-4B37-AC57-D2A7EBB2D1B7.thumb.jpeg.f48337181d9bc6529d8b86db141ef75e.jpeg

 

58A7CC59-178B-4108-9425-597FCEF1FDDA.thumb.jpeg.faa11b2d9173841bede3f19fc171eff5.jpeg

 

chocolate sheet cakes - topped with coconut-brown sugar ganache or dark chocolate ganache. 

 

I’d made a test batch of a maida heatter recipe but found it too sweet with the 70% chocolate I was using, so I cut the sugar a bit and added cocoa in place of some flour. Darker and more to my taste!

 

My kitchen is part of a bunch of art studios, we closed the street and built a huge, 200 foot long table and held a community barbecue.  Cake for everyone! 

 

DF83246A-D7B8-4310-BC22-7107A42E1039.thumb.jpeg.ba4be3f95971cf9e6b177fe80d13401b.jpeg

 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate when people say this, but I have to say that I'm a bit embarrassed to post the dessert I'm posting based on the glorious things that y'all have been making.  But, it is what I made and we loved it and are still enjoying it, so here goes.  Had a friend come visit for a couple of days.  I made one dessert for the two days she was here - Paula Deen’s “Not ‘Yo Momma’s Banana Pudding”:

DSCN0072.JPG.1ef2dcbdce09141329512e8bfc88fc46.JPG

 

DSCN0073.JPG.3071feb94933555f9437840d2acf7ca9.JPG

My favorite version – no yucky vanilla wafers!  I always think that vanilla wafers were invented before people figured out how to make real cookies.  😄

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you make the cookies, @Kim Shook, or use the Pepperidge Farm version? I never realized, until your great photo above, why those are called chess cookies. :$xD

  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Did you make the cookies, @Kim Shook, or use the Pepperidge Farm version? I never realized, until your great photo above, why those are called chess cookies. :$xD

Those are the Pepperidge Farm ones.  This is a COMPLETELY trashy version of banana pudding - Jello pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk, boughten cookies, and COOL WHIP!!!  🤣

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Those are the Pepperidge Farm ones.  This is a COMPLETELY trashy version of banana pudding - Jello pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk, boughten cookies, and COOL WHIP!!!  🤣

I'm guessing it really comes into its own at breakfast the next day.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I hate when people say this, but I have to say that I'm a bit embarrassed to post the dessert I'm posting based on the glorious things that y'all have been making.  But, it is what I made and we loved it and are still enjoying it, so here goes.


I hate when people say that too because that second part is what really matters in the end. Not that there's anything wrong with making glorious desserts, I enjoy doing that too, but I got over the phase where I felt I had to try to do that every time a long time ago. I usually save that for special occasions and paying customers these days. :D And I think we need to be clear on the definition of "glorious" as well because I've had some normal, everyday food that was miles ahead of some fancy formal food I've had in terms of enjoyment. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

...Paula Deen’s “Not ‘Yo Momma’s Banana Pudding”:

DSCN0073.JPG.3071feb94933555f9437840d2acf7ca9.JPG

Love the money shot!

My family also loves this trashy dessert. My pro tip is to use Fruit Fresh on the banana slices before placing them because if you don't eat it fast enough they oxidize and turn brown.

Thanks @Kim Shookfor making me drool! :laugh:

  • Thanks 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kim Shook

 

PD aside

 

can you pst your version of the Rx ?

 

I like the idea of easy to make , as above.

 

thanks !

 

I wont even use Cook Whip

 

Ill use Market Basket's generic version !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Market Basket's generic version will work just fine (or at least Kroger's does!)

 

I'm not Kim, but:

 

1 pkg vanilla instant pudding mix

1 can condensed milk

1 12-oz package frozen whipped topping, thawed

2 cups milk

4-5 bananas, sliced

a bag of vanilla wafers or PF Chessmen cookies (I have used graham crackers in a pinch; any shortbreadish cookie will work)

 

Mix the milk and pudding; stir in the condensed milk and whipped topping. Layer cookies, bananas, half of pudding in a 9 x 13 dish; repeat (Paula doesn't layer the extra time, but I prefer it). If you want to be fancy, crush some cookies and top with the crumbs. Chill for a couple of hours.

 

Having had a big dish of same yesterday morning for breakfast, I can confirm @Katie Meadow's supposition it improves overnight.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kayb said:

1 pkg vanilla instant pudding mix

1 can condensed milk

1 12-oz package frozen whipped topping, thawed

2 cups milk

4-5 bananas, sliced

a bag of vanilla wafers or PF Chessmen cookies (I have used graham crackers in a pinch; any shortbreadish cookie will work)


I think the Paula Deen recipe includes cream cheese as well. 

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


I think the Paula Deen recipe includes cream cheese as well. 

It may well. This is the way I make it, just from memory. Cream cheese certainly would not hurt!

 

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


I think the Paula Deen recipe includes cream cheese as well. 

Yes, it does. Click here for a link to her recipe on the Food Network site.

  • Thanks 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if only I could make smaller portions !

 

say 1/4 of an Rx.

 

I do have a scale to weigh out the dry ingredients .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rotuts said:

if only I could make smaller portions !

 

say 1/4 of an Rx.

 

I do have a scale to weigh out the dry ingredients .....

I was actually thinking about that when I posted it for you - it does make a huge amount (though it lasts a long time - we are still eating it).  I think it would work if you weighed stuff.  Don't forget to toss the banana slices with lemon juice like @Toliver suggests - I need to add that to my recipe!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to take a picture of this when I made it.  Mr. Kim usually makes this apple cake, but I ended up doing it for him.  He wanted to take it to the BBQ competition he went to last weekend.  There was a little left and this is one of the last pieces:

cake.jpg.2a6b45146204fd9e4e96f5b8d6033b7d.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I forgot to take a picture of this when I made it.  Mr. Kim usually makes this apple cake, but I ended up doing it for him.  He wanted to take it to the BBQ competition he went to last weekend.  There was a little left and this is one of the last pieces:

cake.jpg.2a6b45146204fd9e4e96f5b8d6033b7d.jpg

That looks incredible.  Any chance of a recipe?

  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...