• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pjm333

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

Kouign Amann from William Curley's book (I love that man!! I want to go work with him some day soon!!)

I broke the butter though, they were still pretty great. Next time European butter!! 

20190911_153610.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Vanessa

On 9/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, Desiderio said:

Kouign Amann from William Curley's book (I love that man!! I want to go work with him some day soon!!)

I broke the butter though, they were still pretty great. Next time European butter!! 

20190911_153610.jpg

That looks scrumy.

It looks like you didn't do the steam thing. I wonder how it would work with a bowl of water to create the steam.

Edited by oli (log)

More adventures in office confections. We have a temporary staff person who has a severe peanut allergy, which made me realize that I use peanuts or peanut butter (and other nuts as well) in the vast majority of the chocolates I make to share with colleagues every week or two. So, although this person works on a different floor and our responsibilities mean that our paths will not likely cross often if at all, I have challenged myself to stay away from nuts in the office treats during their time with us, which will extend into mid-November. I had been thinking about combining caramel and marshmallow and wanted to play around a bit, so I made a sheet of @Kerry Beal‘s chewy caramel from EGCI and tried layering it.

D3FF5051-2CBB-442D-9F07-B29F4955716E.thumb.jpeg.de23a5f87db5e6605af62e0689a82ba4.jpeg

The first experiment is on is on the left - pumpkin spice marshmallow. I spread half the batch into a quarter sheet pan, laid on a thin sheet of caramel, and topped that with the other half of the batch. Incredibly tasty, but really difficult to work with as the layers kept sliding around, even as the chocolate was crystallizing. The photo doesn’t show it but these are some of the homeliest candies I have ever made. 

I decided to try again, this time with brown sugar espresso marshmallow. I divided the batch between two quarter sheet pans, and when they had firmed up a bit I used some dark chocolate to glue the caramel sheet between them. Worked a treat, though I think next time I will use a much thinner layer of chocolate. I decided to dip these up to their shoulders in dark chocolate, then dip the tops in caramelized white chocolate. We shall see how they go over with my work peeps.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Patty

1 hour ago, patris said:

More adventures in office confections. We have a temporary staff person who has a severe peanut allergy, which made me realize that I use peanuts or peanut butter (and other nuts as well) in the vast majority of the chocolates I make to share with colleagues every week or two. So, although this person works on a different floor and our responsibilities mean that our paths will not likely cross often if at all, I have challenged myself to stay away from nuts in the office treats during their time with us, which will extend into mid-November. I had been thinking about combining caramel and marshmallow and wanted to play around a bit, so I made a sheet of @Kerry Beal‘s chewy caramel from EGCI and tried layering it.

D3FF5051-2CBB-442D-9F07-B29F4955716E.thumb.jpeg.de23a5f87db5e6605af62e0689a82ba4.jpeg

The first experiment is on is on the left - pumpkin spice marshmallow. I spread half the batch into a quarter sheet pan, laid on a thin sheet of caramel, and topped that with the other half of the batch. Incredibly tasty, but really difficult to work with as the layers kept sliding around, even as the chocolate was crystallizing. The photo doesn’t show it but these are some of the homeliest candies I have ever made. 

I decided to try again, this time with brown sugar espresso marshmallow. I divided the batch between two quarter sheet pans, and when they had firmed up a bit I used some dark chocolate to glue the caramel sheet between them. Worked a treat, though I think next time I will use a much thinner layer of chocolate. I decided to dip these up to their shoulders in dark chocolate, then dip the tops in caramelized white chocolate. We shall see how they go over with my work peeps.

I suspect they will go over well!

• Like 5