Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )


pjm333
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Well, it’s not the prettiest thing I’ve ever made, but dad’s coming home from rehab today (Covid related pneumonia, plus COPD leaving him in a hospital bed for a month!), and German chocolate cake is his favorite cake. Still, I think it looks good overall.

40D35BE8-DC4D-4A22-B787-4E9832AAFA17.jpeg

That is sweet ;) My dad's Medicare Advantage provider came over with a cake for his 100th the other day. He is a "holier than thou" person about sweets so won't even cut into it - taking to bridge. Must be very dense as it feel like 4lb  I'm told it is marble. Oh he ate tons of cake over his long life - this is a more recent Vogel (dialect for a bird fluttering in your brain)

IMG_1830.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, heidih said:

That is sweet ;) My dad's Medicare Advantage provider came over with a cake for his 100th the other day. He is a "holier than thou" person about sweets so won't even cut into it - taking to bridge. Must be very dense as it feel like 4lb  I'm told it is marble. Oh he ate tons of cake over his long life - this is a more recent Vogel (dialect for a bird fluttering in your brain)

IMG_1830.jpg

That's lovely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@Captain - ooooh!  I love those pikelets so much.  You were so generous and shared your recipe.  I need to make them again soon.  

 

This is ridiculous.  And embarrassing.  But really, really sinfully good.  I tried the internet hack for whomp cinnamon rolls where you add a mixture of brown sugar and heavy cream to the pan of rolls before you cook them.  Rolls just out of the CSO:

1-IMG_0603.jpg.e59e51f95921d6d99c5815ae24ea7164.jpg

 

Iced:

1-IMG_0604.jpg.e2cf0fa3e98eadbe661d854fdb636698.jpg

SO good.  Gooey and rich.  I think that maybe I should have flipped the rolls over when I took them out of the pan because on the plate there was lots of seepage of what amounted to a thin caramel sauce.  If I’d have flipped it, I think that would have seeped back into the rolls. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

 I tried the internet hack for whomp cinnamon rolls where you add a mixture of brown sugar and heavy cream to the pan of rolls before you cook them. 

 

I tried that too recently and was surprised how good they were.  Good idea about flipping the pan.  Yours look fantastic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Captain - ooooh!  I love those pikelets so much.  You were so generous and shared your recipe.  I need to make them again soon.  

 

This is ridiculous.  And embarrassing.  But really, really sinfully good.  I tried the internet hack for whomp cinnamon rolls where you add a mixture of brown sugar and heavy cream to the pan of rolls before you cook them.  Rolls just out of the CSO:

1-IMG_0603.jpg.e59e51f95921d6d99c5815ae24ea7164.jpg

 

Iced:

1-IMG_0604.jpg.e2cf0fa3e98eadbe661d854fdb636698.jpg

SO good.  Gooey and rich.  I think that maybe I should have flipped the rolls over when I took them out of the pan because on the plate there was lots of seepage of what amounted to a thin caramel sauce.  If I’d have flipped it, I think that would have seeped back into the rolls. 

 

Can you tell me a little bit more about these, please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CookBot said:

 

I tried that too recently and was surprised how good they were.  Good idea about flipping the pan.  Yours look fantastic!

I confess to not quite understanding. Pillsbury makes cinnamon rolls (or at least they did) in the so-called whomp packaging. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I confess to not quite understanding. Pillsbury makes cinnamon rolls (or at least they did) in the so-called whomp packaging. 

 

It's a TikTok thing.  You just pour heavy cream over the whomp rolls before baking.  Makes them shockingly more palatable.  (Brown sugar optional.)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This weekend I made a chocolate babka and shaped it using the Tarte Soleil method.  It's the easiest  method I know of for a big Wow Factor in presentation.  If you can roll dough in a circle and cut it into wedges, you can make a Soleil.

 

Leftover dough nubbins = cook's treat.

 

 

Babka_SoleilShaped.700px.jpg

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2022 at 3:46 PM, CookBot said:

This weekend I made a chocolate babka and shaped it using the Tarte Soleil method.  It's the easiest  method I know of for a big Wow Factor in presentation.  If you can roll dough in a circle and cut it into wedges, you can make a Soleil.

 

Leftover dough nubbins = cook's treat.

 

 

Babka_SoleilShaped.700px.jpg

 

Looks gorgeous.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

This weekend I made a chocolate babka and shaped it using the Tarte Soleil method.  It's the easiest  method I know of for a big Wow Factor in presentation.  If you can roll dough in a circle and cut it into wedges, you can make a Soleil.

I felt compelled to look up this technique and learned a great deal. Thanks. Your Babka looks quite amazing. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2022 at 6:08 PM, Anna N said:

I felt compelled to look up this technique and learned a great deal. Thanks. Your Babka looks quite amazing. 

 

And so easy!  I hope you'll give it a try.

 

If you use a puff pastry instead of yeasted dough, and fill it with something savory like a tapenade or pesto, then cut very tiny wedges, it makes the most impressive appetizer ever, because your eaters can just pull one of the little twists right off the main pastry.

 

(Not my photo -- this one's from Smitten Kitchen)

https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/12/feta-tapenade-tarte-soleil/

 

9db96ebe271541d6d0381375fb96a5e0.jpg

Edited by CookBot
add link to offsite photo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

Not my photo -- this one's from Smitten Kitchen)

That is exactly where I ended up when I was doing my research! It is quite beautiful and relatively uncomplicated. But I will enjoy it vicariously. 

 

 

But I can admire what others do. 

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am trying my hand at a junket dessert (rennet milk pudding).  Not the packaged type, but warm milk and liquid rennet.   I guesstimated the rennet amount for a 2 cup portion.   I flavored the milk with vanilla sugar and LorAnn super-strength flavorings, just 1 drop each of coconut and marshmallow.   It's slowly setting up as it cools.  The taste I snuck so far is a coconut cotton-candy.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I am trying my hand at a junket dessert (rennet milk pudding).  Not the packaged type, but warm milk and liquid rennet.   I guesstimated the rennet amount for a 2 cup portion.   I flavored the milk with vanilla sugar and LorAnn super-strength flavorings, just 1 drop each of coconut and marshmallow.   It's slowly setting up as it cools.  The taste I snuck so far is a coconut cotton-candy.

 

 

How much rennet did you guesstimate for 2 cups?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

How much rennet did you guesstimate for 2 cups?

 

Not scientific, but I did 8 drops out of the rennet squeeze bottle.   I think maybe it wanted 10, but the junket did become smooth and spoonable at room temp, though very soft.  It's now in the fridge to cool completely.  Hoping it will thicken much more when cold.

 

I used the rennet bottle from cheesemaking.com.   It says 1/2 tsp sets 2 gallons of milk in 45 min on label, that's why I guessed at what *might* be scalable for 2 cups.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

 

Not scientific, but I did 8 drops out of the rennet squeeze bottle.   I think maybe it wanted 10, but the junket did become smooth and spoonable at room temp, though very soft.  It's now in the fridge to cool completely.  Hoping it will thicken much more when cold.

 

I used the rennet bottle from cheesemaking.com.   It says 1/2 tsp sets 2 gallons of milk in 45 min on label, that's why I guessed at what *might* be scalable for 2 cups.   

The rennet I have comes from the Portuguese bakery and there is no english on the bottle.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...