• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Knafeh. Made with "sweet" (as in saltless) cheese, buttery kadaif, pistachios. Opted to use honey rather than make a syrup, a light drizzle of lemon and plenty of rose water.

PXL_20210904_124749772.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Massive blueberries (from Peru), which were tasteless, became whole wheat/oatmeal muffins. Used coconut sugar, which made them nicely brown colored.

8B84714C-C150-4034-B87A-CF8751F50C8B.jpeg

2FCE2033-3E2C-4152-AF31-E19AFCE62C5E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 9/23/2021 at 8:26 AM, RobertM said:

Caramel Slice from an Australian formula!  Not a bad flavor, but if I make them again, I will develop the caramel flavor more, and bypass their instructions.  But, I figure, the first time I should follow what the formula says, then after, I can tweak…

BE9907E7-DC18-455F-B5AD-F1DAC3DE71E6.thumb.jpeg.f0adcdd2f36bf6d020f01f854cf97b68.jpeg

I have never cut anything that neatly in my life! Especially things topped with chocolate like the Nanaimo bars that I must make every Christmas...

• Like 1

Palacsintas filled with ricotta and homemade cherry preserves.

We topped it with some slivered almonds and more syrup, but sadly I didn't take a picture.

PXL_20211003_183858403.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

My first attempt at a Far Breton.  Came out rather pale.  I will conveniently blame my Mexican oven 👩‍🍳

Tasty though!  I used orange liqueur to steep the prunes.  

far2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Your interesting plate  far outshines the pastry. Sure it was tasty esp w/ the orange liquor steeped prunes

It's actually in a clear Pyrex pie pan.  It's my tiled counter that is showing thru the Pyrex.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

It's actually in a clear Pyrex pie pan.  It's my tiled counter that is showing thru the Pyrex.  

Well then somewhere we need the full on view of your tiles - I am a huge fan of Mexican tiles. I worked in a building that used it extensively and visited some houses in my area where the builders sourced from there. 

• Like 2

Leftover palchinta. Filled with ricotta and sour cream. Lightly warmed. Topped with home made preserved grapes, a bit of cinnamon, almonds.

I had once something similar in Slovenia, topped with a sort of milk foam, but since than I can't seem to find this dish online.

PXL_20211007_163338585.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

Leftover palchinta. Filled with ricotta and sour cream. Lightly warmed. Topped with home made preserved grapes, a bit of cinnamon, almonds.

I had once something similar in Slovenia, topped with a sort of milk foam, but since than I can't seem to find this dish online.

PXL_20211007_163338585.jpg

Have you had it with cottage cheese and raisins?

35 minutes ago, oli said:

Have you had it with cottage cheese and raisins?

It was cottage cheese or cottage and cream. Maybe raisins maybe plain. No jam or nuts.

It seemed a common preparation, served in many restaurants in Slovenia.

~ Shai N.

9 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Made a German Chocolate Cake for a friends 83rd Birthday.  

12EDDE5E-BA2B-4F73-8CB7-4F36710683B3.thumb.jpeg.0e5302d74c07759058d410f93c73598a.jpegF92B9327-EAC0-41AB-98E7-3F90FCA8504A.thumb.png.7f7c838ef9dee0fcb9694ec0816553ef.png

Would love to see a slice

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, shain said:

Would love to have a slice :P

Let me know if you get one - I'd like a piece too😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Me too….it was presented to the Birthday girl and I won’t be there when it’s cut….

😥

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Anyone do or plan Day of the Dead sweets like these?  https://sanmiguelfoodtours.com/mexican-sweets-for-the-day-of-the-dead/

Don't see many painted skulls, but the pan de muerte is everywhere.  Street vendors will be selling bunuelos de viento, by far my favorite Mexican treat.  

• Like 3

Made this last night.  Haven't cut into it yet but the aroma while baking was amazing.  I'll be having a slice for breakfast in a few hours.

(Woke up at 4AM and couldn't go back to sleep.)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, RobertM said:

This is called a Hummingbird Slice.  It has coconut, pineapple and pecans.

E29343D2-38EF-4FD1-9CDD-F08AACFBCD6F.thumb.jpeg.9e291cbbaf0a98c788f36db45797162d.jpeg

4714BD50-1F8B-4E9A-A833-3858FB2B1BDF.jpeg

What is the white layer? Looks like strong black coffee would be the best drink to accompany. Is it brown from spices?