• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

I apologize for the bold typeface, but I can't seem to get rid of it.  

@jimb0 – your hot cross buns are beautiful and sound delicious.

@Kerry Beal – that bread looks fantastic.  I’ve always had (and seen in stores/bakeries in the US) the cross done with a thick glaze after baking.  But when I look at British ones the cross looks like yours – piped on before cooking so that it bakes into the crust.  Sometimes the entire bun is glazed after baking.  I like how your cross becomes part of the bun. 

@AAQuesada – that table is just exquisite and so Spring/Easter looking!

As expected, my coconut cake was a big disappointment.  As mentioned above, I definitely overbeat it.  It looked pretty on the outside:

IMG_5554.jpg.5bae55f18da861bdcc70dddecaa099b9.jpg

But the texture was horrible and tough:

IMG_5556.jpg.792dbdb023ce03b7168c3bd0e12df975.jpg

This was a recipe I’ve made plenty of times before and it’s been really good, so at least I know it’s not the recipe.  The frosting was, as always, delicious when it was freshly made.  It is a cream cheese and butter icing, which I am normally not a fan of since it needs to be refrigerated and I don’t care for cold cake.  I should either frost the cake last minute (which I hate doing) or use a frosting that can stay out.  I am happy to say that the addition of the Fiori de Sicilia was lovely.  I used 1/2 t. in the cake and the frosting and it was just right. 

• Like 7

thanks friend. this was kind of a seat-of-my-pants go, which is how a lot of my bakes are. i wasn't sure if using so much olive oil (~110g) would be overpowering but it really seemed to work.

• Like 1

@shain 

your babka's always look so inviting

the few Ive had were dry , and the amendments never gooey

enough

yours look perfect

I hope babka's can be made w butter.

and lots of it.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@shain 

your babka's always look so inviting

the few Ive had were dry , and the amendments never gooey

enough

yours look perfect

I hope babka's can be made w butter.

and lots of it.

Thanks! They need to be fresh, that's why I divide the dough and make a few small ones over a week. I use butter and sour cream, plenty but not lots - it's not quite at a brioche level of richness (because of the inclusions, IMO it could be too much).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Used the 2nd third of the dough I made for another babka.

This one is filled with tvorog cheese (farmers cheese), as well as lightly cooked apples, raisins, vanilla, nutmeg, a bit of cinnamon and rose water.

Tisane of rose geranium and lemon verbena.

PXL_20210111_193643021.thumb.jpg.0d903d6168f3ad7724df808e0deb9b5a.jpgPXL_20210111_195350440.thumb.jpg.77c0fd87bef947371b68e38063f9e896.jpg

PXL_20210111_161747371.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

@shain 

im pleased

your identical   babka's

fresh , warm , etc

are not available at  my local TJ's.

Id have to look into an electric wheel barrow

w GPS etc

to get me around.

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, shain said:

Used the 2nd third of the bough I made for another babka.

This one is filled with tvorog cheese (farmers cheese), as well as lightly cooked apples, raisins, vanilla, nutmeg, a bit of cinnamon and rose water.

Tisane of rose geranium and lemon verbena.

PXL_20210111_193643021.thumb.jpg.0d903d6168f3ad7724df808e0deb9b5a.jpg

I think I've died and gone to heaven.  OMG, that looks so good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Aranygaluska. Hungarian for "golden crumbs".  Last part of the babka dough, rolled into balls, dipped in butter, rolled in a mixture of walnuts brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Some plum preserves spooned in between.

Served warm of creme anglaise.

PXL_20210114_191153401.jpg

PXL_20210114_192932454.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.