• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

7 hours ago, patris said:

volcano chocolates (inspired by @kriz6912)

They look great! Right after he posted that, I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out which mold he used to make the discs that are joined together to make the little flying saucer shaped pieces that are the base for those. Never did figure out which one it was though.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

They look great! Right after he posted that, I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out which mold he used to make the discs that are joined together to make the little flying saucer shaped pieces that are the base for those. Never did figure out which one it was though.

I did the same thing and finally resorted to asking him on Instagram because I just HAD to make them. They’re from Chocolate World -  CW 1847.

• Like 1

Patty

We have a new organic shop here and they had crystallized ginger.  I grabbed a bag with no recipe in mind.  Today I baked ginger shortbread icebox cookies (made the dough yesterday and chilled overnight).  Delightful! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, patris said:

I did the same thing and finally resorted to asking him on Instagram because I just HAD to make them. They’re from Chocolate World -  CW 1847.

I didn't think of that, I may have to make an instagram account one of these days. And thanks for the mold number!

Edit: and there it is, came up at the top of the google search results on the site I get most of my molds from. I was sure I searched it thoroughly. Apparently I was wrong. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I seem to have taken on a great many baking projects lately. Today’s effort was decorated cutout cookies (Stella Parks’ recipes for both cookies and royal icing) for a colleague’s baby shower this week. This is only my second attempt at royal icing, so I am pretty happy with the result.

9460EB9B-DDEA-42BF-AC3E-EB0870B5B620.thumb.jpeg.f12a640afba850b19ac2e7f99de3ac6c.jpeg

• Like 19

Patty

Certainly not as cute as cute as @patris's baby shower cookies or as decadent as @jmacnaughtan's truffles or as gorgeous as @rarerollingobject's cupcakes, this is Olive Oil Shortbread with Rosemary & Chocolate Chunks from Smitten Kitchen Everyday.  

IMG_7256.thumb.jpg.3b5fa94403b88d7f28a04635f3feb2e1.jpg

IMG_7265.thumb.jpg.76307b7fb7d9dbabee7294cf7178edeb.jpg
Last year, when I was in France, I visited L'Espérantine Chocolates in Marseille where they make artisan chocolates with local ingredients: olive oil, almonds and orange. That memory inspired me to play with this recipe by adding the zest of an orange and some chopped, slivered almonds.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 12

IMG_8555.JPG.975a870e01723156a6e082077e6a0461.JPG

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - Olive Oil Shortbread with Rosemary and chocolate sans rosemary - and with the addition of sliced almonds and about 10 drops of bitter orange oil. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_8555.JPG.975a870e01723156a6e082077e6a0461.JPG

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - Olive Oil Shortbread with Rosemary and chocolate sans rosemary - and with the addition of sliced almonds and about 10 drops of bitter orange oil. 

Wow!  I believe everyone here knows this, but you are so swift!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow!  I believe everyone here knows this, but you are so swift!

When @Kerry Beal gets a bee in her bonnet honey flows. xD   She is an embarrassment to the rest of us normal humans. xDxD

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

But it was really easy! No power tools required. 

Stuff is bloody addictive - I've hidden it! Doesn't go with my low carb diet,

I took these to a brunch yesterday and was advised by the friend who got the leftovers that they go very well with a small glass of port.  I need to make more so I can test that out!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I took these to a brunch yesterday and was advised by the friend who got the leftovers that they go very well with a small glass of port.  I need to make more so I can test that out!

Never dismiss the opportunity to partake of a little port. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

And if they go well with a small glass, just imagine how good they would be with a large one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Made Martha Stewart’s Lemon Pound Cakes with Candied Lemon Slices:

DSCN8086.JPG.705631c19563e79e38b743508c689d2f.JPG

Slice:

DSCN8087.JPG.cf78097fc77805a388d0e832a9c0b787.JPG

Martha is hilarious - so incredibly out of touch.  This recipe came from an old issue of her “Everyday Food” magazine.  Supposedly less complicated and time consuming.  A lot of “workday” meals and some shortcuts.  This recipe calls for 3 separate preparations – cakes from scratch, making a glaze and making candied lemon slices and lemon syrup.  Admittedly, none of these steps are difficult.  But it does get a little fiddly at times.  This is certainly not a difficult cake to make, but calling it "Everyday" is a bit much.  The cakes were very, very tasty – lots of real lemon flavor.  But the texture was a bit tough. 

• Like 13

I'd love a little help with the lemon cakes posted above, please!  They are so pretty and the flavor is wonderful.  But, as I noted, they are a little tough.  I've done some research and something that I found suggested substituting some of the eggs with milk to increase tenderness.  Does this make sense to you?  Anyway - here's the recipe.  It would be so great if someone more experienced than me would look at it and see if you could offer some advice!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I'd love a little help with the lemon cakes posted above, please!  They are so pretty and the flavor is wonderful.  But, as I noted, they are a little tough.  I've done some research and something that I found suggested substituting some of the eggs with milk to increase tenderness.  Does this make sense to you?  Anyway - here's the recipe.  It would be so great if someone more experienced than me would look at it and see if you could offer some advice!  Thank you!

I'd replace the sour cream with buttermilk. Nothing beats buttermilk for tenderness in cakes. 

• Like 1

@Kim Shook If I may suggest, take a look at this cake recipe:

It's tender and uses labaneh or Greek yogurt for tenderness. You can replace the mandarin zest with more lemon zest. And if you rather, I know from experience that the olive oil can be replaced with melted butter (45g oil = 56g butter). 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

I do feel silly posting in this thread, as this chocolate cake is not photogenic, but it was a major feat of baking, so I had to post it somewhere. My apologies...

This is Rose Beranbaum's Double Damage Oblivion. It is her flourless chocolate cake sandwiched in-between her regular chocolate cake and covered with chocolate ganache.

IMG_2910.JPG.8aadc6b14d3ff23e88e95a023062e48f.JPGIMG_2909.JPG.1fe2544e84f0eed9682875d7b49e3cd6.JPG

For some reason, the layers wouldn't stay put. If I ever make this again, I'll have to think of something to keep the layers intact.

The taste was intensely chocolatey. Surprisingly, it was not sweet. I added some salt because I desperately needed something to cut through all the chocolate.

IMG_2912.JPG.b37bc1a6b8cfaac824b38c026184586a.JPG

Not my greatest success but I'm happy to have made it. I'm going to make another chocolate cake tonight, this time by Joy the Baker. This cake was good but it had me hankering for good ol'-fashioned American chocolate cake.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

This is Bacon cake.

PART_1520456462814.thumb.jpeg.30fb932d09017c98a5cf2ed51ff0e5d4.jpeg

Not made by me but for me as a B'Day cake.  Made from scratch, no recipe.  I don't know all the details yet but I will find out soon.

IMG_20180307_203320.thumb.jpg.667317bf7a23adbfe96531552ffbcb3f.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic but I was well into celebration time.  It has finely ground bacon in the batter & maple syrup.  It was Wonderful.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

But keep the 6 eggs?  Thank you, @Kerry Beal!

Lemon Bliss cake has only 4 eggs. But I probably wouldn't change the 6. I have other lemon cake recipes that use yogurt - and I often replace sour cream in things with yogurt. Or buttermilk with yogurt and vice versa.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2