• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pjm333

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

I will someday try to make macarons. Maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I will someday try to make macarons. Maybe.

They are really much easier than their reputation (and price) would have you believe.

3 hours ago, cakewalk said:

They are really much easier than their reputation (and price) would have you believe.

I can't believe the price, they were $2 each at the bakery.

I've often made Vanilla Dreams from King Arthur Flour, they're such good cookies, but I had never tried the Chocolate Dreams until now. They are very good. I made a half-recipe, which made a lot of cookies. Great flavor and texture, very easy to put together. 

Chocolate dreams.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

I can't believe the price, they were $2 each at the bakery.

They're more than that here (NYC), more like $3 each. The choice of flavors is much greater than anything I'd ever do, but still a ridiculous amount of money. 

Just finished these for one of our local firemen.  It's anniversary gift for his wife...

IMG_2316.JPG

• Like 16

She's a fortunate woman. I can remember it being an annual event in Memphis, the first day Dinstuhl's (local well-known candymaker) had their first chocolate covered strawberries. Line would be out the door and all the way down the block. And I would be in it.

• Like 3

Jessica had a Christmas season job at Godiva and learned how to do the strawberries.  Now she does them every year for our church's Easter Saturday vigil celebration.  Chocolate covered strawberries and Champagne!  Nobody breaks a fast like an Episcopalian! :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

@Kim Shook

( not to go off topic too much )

I have two bunt pans now :

Bundt.thumb.jpg.0c0ae91623538900b4848e66cd5cc792.jpg

I have no idea hoe this happened . possibly the MR talking ?

L Target , Nordicware    thin and light

R Cuisinart , much heavier, Amazon    

Ill take the Target back.

• Haha 2

David Lebovitz’s Racines Cake. I cooked it for only 20 min (instead of 25) and the center was perfectly creamy.

David Lebovitz’s Racines Cake

• Like 16

Banana pudding like my Mama used to make, with boiled custard cooked in the double boiler. I over beat the egg whites for the meringue, so it isn't very pretty, but I'm surely looking forward to the taste.

20180121_082246.thumb.jpg.ac2da4f732bc9c6aaea889d8e06d93ce.jpg20180121_084417.thumb.jpg.1a310aa1f139901ecc01155128ad219e.jpg

• Like 10

@kayb

wow

does that bring back memories for me !

did you use 

'Nilla wafers ?

nice

although it looks like Ham Slices 

Im guessing that's your Egg whites !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@kayb

wow

does that bring back memories for me !

did you use 

'Nilla wafers ?

nice

although it looks like Ham Slices 

Im guessing that's your Egg whites !

I used Jackson's wafers. And yes, those are my overbeaten egg whites. I stuck them in the Kitchenaid and let it go while I was doing something else. Should have paid more attention.

OMG I think it looks delicious.  I have bananas...but no nilla wafers.  Sigh.  

Wonder if one can make homemade Nilla wafers? I would think there has to be a recipe somewhere....

I have, in a pinch, done them with graham crackers.

• Like 1

Hmmmm....I do have graham crackers......

On 1/21/2018 at 3:27 PM, Shelby said:

OMG I think it looks delicious.  I have bananas...but no nilla wafers.  Sigh.  

Honestly, I think you could do it with almost any plain cooky.  I do the Paula Deen one @Toliver linked above.  It is our favorite.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Honestly, I think you could do it with almost any plain cooky.  I do the Paula Deen one @Toliver linked above.  It is our favorite.

I had the stuff to make that one (with vanilla wafers vs Chessmen), but decided at the last minute I wanted the old fashioned kind. Finished it off today. I may or may not have eaten it twice a day since Sunday.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, shain said:

Topfenknödel.

IMG_20180111_201624.thumb.jpg.e0a12f67af1c988aa3992b8dfa4a64d7.jpg

Can you say a little more about how these are made?  What kind of cheese you use, etc.  Google showed me several recipes and most were boiled and white-looking.  These look much more appealing,  like they were either baked or fried.

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin Those are made of quark cheese, eggs, a little flour, sugar and vanilla. They are boiled then rolled in sugar and buttery breadcrumbs. I guess I just toasted the crumbs darker than is traditional, hence the color.

Actually my parents used to call them by the Hungarian name of túrógombóc (which I was earlier too lazy to check how to spell), images for those looks darker as well.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!