• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pjm333

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

kayb   

I think I want to come work at your office.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Made a similar version of this not long ago, but improved the flavours this time; Monday office cake; a three layer pistachio and Cara Cara orange dacquoise, filled with blackberry curd, crystallised pistachios, freeze-dried pineapple and almond mascarpone meringue cream, topped with dehydrated pineapple flowers brushed in yuzu syrup. 

IMG_7882.thumb.JPG.3f6cbab5b862a15a335377fbf2649c35.JPG

Looks good!

Your sponge looks a lot different from the dacquoises I'm used to making - would you mind sharing the recipe?

I always have a lot of left over egg shells from all my baking, so I've started experimenting with things I can turn them into; first, I painted their insides dusty rose pink and amethyst, and gold/copper leafed their outsides.

I figure I can use them as some kind of cake decoration.

IMG_8044.thumb.JPG.df63ab66fc226f028b0c952e98b825c7.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG.3ff72eff9fd7067eb7ea8fd605b55a04.JPG

IMG_8046.thumb.JPG.10825445270d412a8b4b73bfe5022944.JPG

And part 2 of said experiments; cutting a small hole in the bottom of an egg, draining the yolk and white and washing it out, letting it dry completely for a few days; piping the shell full with liquid praline, sealing the hole, letting it set and painting the egg gold.

Ergo, sum; gilded praline hard-boiled eggs.

IMG_8042.thumb.JPG.d977f71b4273e912d43235cbb606e66d.JPG

IMG_8041.thumb.JPG.0ec16fd8ba1078bf65fbcd20c19ef92d.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Tri2Cook   

They both look like nice ways to repurpose waste but I'm more a fan of the second idea. I've never been big on putting décor on cakes and other desserts that can't be eaten. I know lots of people do and I'm not suggesting they shouldn't... just not a fan of it myself. It's role as the container with the praline offsets that little peeve of mine so it's my favorite of the two.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Anna N   

IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.e1b1928d7b55c2c7b2ccdfd1291365bd.JPG

Two loaves of banana bread. One was  destined for my son-in-law  after he fixed my icemaker.  He didn't fix it but I think I did.  Oh well I'll still give him the banana bread. :D

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog