• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

No i haven't.  I'm wondering if I should give @Tropicalseniora nudge.:)

I'm so sorry, it seems you had to give my old memory and nudge. I got it reformatted the other day but I forgot to post it. I'll post it later in the recipes but for now, here it is.

Simple Pineapple Cake

1 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar 

1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 ounces crushed pineapple
1/4 cup pineapple juice

1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Either use a hand mixer or beat by hand until well blended. Bake in a greased and floured 8 x 8 pan at 350o for 30 to 35 minutes.
Icing: a cream cheese frosting is good but this cake needs only powdered sugar.

Note: since I baked it in a glass pan, I lowered the temperature to 325° and just baked it until it tested done. That was around 35 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looking back through my files, it seems that I have been making this for about 15 years. I do remember that at the time that I made it, I changed the recipe from all white sugar to half and half. I was very skeptical of the recipe at first because it had  no oil or butter but I was pleasantly surprised at how moist it is. Leftover cake keeps beautifully in the refrigerator. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ElsieD I live in pineapple country so I haven't bought a can of pineapple in years. I cut the pineapple up in chunks and cook it for 5 minutes in my instant pot. I then chopped some of it up in the food processor, drain it, and measure out 10 oz. I then add 1/4 cup of the juice. I would think a 14 oz can of pineapple would be equivalent. Just make sure that you don't have more than one quarter cup of the juice or it doesn't bake right. When you bake it, this cake does not rise too high so it is done when the top springs back and it tests done with a toothpick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Raspberry, flaked almonds and pistachio flour cake.  This was made in the FP and as a result comes together very quickly. It has a delicious pistachio flavor due also to pistachio oil. This a tender, fine crumbed cake that is as good on the second day as the first, served with a compote of rhubarb and raspberries on the side.

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

20 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm so sorry, it seems you had to give my old memory and nudge. I got it reformatted the other day but I forgot to post it. I'll post it later in the recipes but for now, here it is.

Simple Pineapple Cake

1 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar 

1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 ounces crushed pineapple
1/4 cup pineapple juice

1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Either use a hand mixer or beat by hand until well blended. Bake in a greased and floured 8 x 8 pan at 350o for 30 to 35 minutes.
Icing: a cream cheese frosting is good but this cake needs only powdered sugar.

Note: since I baked it in a glass pan, I lowered the temperature to 325° and just baked it until it tested done. That was around 35 minutes.

Thank for posting this!  Just cream cheese icing?  Or something else?

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank for posting this!  Just cream cheese icing?  Or something else?

I'm afraid I kind of cheat when it calls for cream cheese frosting. I've always just made my own version with soft butter, our version of sour cream,(cream cheese here is inconsistent and sometimes a bit too tart) some lemon or lime juice depending on what I have, a pinch of salt and enough powdered sugar to frost the cake. I've never really followed a recipe for this, just kind of added as I went.

Sometimes living in a foreign country, recipes are a matter of adapting and bastardizing.

• Like 5

Fig and almond cake, almond flour keeps this cake moist for several days. This was also made in the food processor, so quick into the oven. The cake  was made in a deep eight inch tart pan.

A raspberry coulis was a nice accompaniment to the cake, the tartness played well with the sweet figs.

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Seeing mention of steamed puddings in another thread is all the excuse needed to celebrate these increasingly overlooked delights. I've made a few since the end of summer last year, usually accompanied by a jug of piping hot custard, but occasionally crème fraîche.

Brace yourselves for a huge data dump. In no particular order...

LemonSponge.thumb.png.28dffc459a29b388ac8c47bb0ebb147b.png

Lemon sponge. Very lemony.

Carrot.thumb.png.c493ed0aac68d8d4b1e70a87d7689381.png

Carrot Cake. I was curious what my regular carrot cake recipe would be like steamed rather than baked. It was a little more moist, but it's already a moist cake and I think better with the baked top and edges.

Date.thumb.png.8f2a7773afd9c37860a1aeae8ea34876.png

Date pudding. I made a quick toffee sauce to pour over so it was essentially a Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Honey.thumb.png.819c069cd7bac97752acce9d548ea4d7.png

Chestnut honey pudding. This was the first time I made it. Made a couple more since.

Blueberry.thumb.png.a538f83ac918b5d7911c828913a7c4ac.png

Blueberry pudding. I think the berries were the frozen variety. They go nice and jammy on the top.

Chocolate.thumb.png.c828f5304a13104a99ed3287d657085e.png

Chocolate sponge. I find chocolate cakes made with cocoa powder can often be a little dry. But when steamed, they stay soft and moist.

MicrowaveTreacleSponge.thumb.png.96e1b8d21f86ba227703e02fd19796d4.png

Microwave treacle sponge. It's a bit tricky to judge the doneness and not overcook when microwaving, so I prefer to steam. But if you can't be bothered with all the faff, the results are perfectly acceptable and it only takes 5-10 minutes to cook.

As well as sponges, I'm also partial to a steamed suet crust pudding...

AppleandRhubarb.thumb.png.68c7686a85b1f9352982f425e214ef42.png

Apple and rhubarb hat.

SummerFruitHat.thumb.png.56622a5a472b2e501907d5584f736485.png

Summer fruit hat. I think this was late season plums, peaches, and necratines. Might be a pear and a few cherries in there, too.

I'm not sure why they're called 'hats'. Probably the shape. You slice off the top at the table to reveal the glorious delights within, eliciting ooohs and ahhhhs from the expectant gathered, clutching their spoons, eager to dive in.

Brigade.thumb.png.44faf60dd706e5c89f5db3213c000460.png

Brigade pudding. This is apple, raisins, sultanas, treacle, dark sugar, and spices. I happened to make it around Christmas a couple of years ago and it very much reminded me of mince pie filling. So I've now decided to make it a Christmas tradition. Ho ho ho!

And finally, possibly the most bonkers of all steamed puddings...

SussexPond.thumb.png.13c886143306988c228038455d22a54a.png

Sussex pond pudding. Line a pudding basin with suet pastry then fill it with all the butter and brown sugar within a five mile radius. Poke holes in a lemon and nestle it in the middle. Cover with more pastry and steam for a few hours, during which time the filling transforms into a lemony butterscotch sauce that saturates the suet crust.

SussexPond(Plated).png.e115523c6ebeeb210bc611a9b770f43f.png

Serve with more fat in the form of cream (double or, preferably, clotted). Like I said, bonkers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

@Pete Fred 

absolutely mouth watering stuff .

any favorite reference*s)   for seemed puddings ?

I like the idea of trying something in the Micro.

did this 30 + years ago w some sort of chocolate Rx ,

cake  like outer layer , creamy dark chocolate interior.

• Like 1

Just before I actually do it, I'd like some feedback on an idea.  I thought I'd melt 2 - 3 oz of chocolate couverture and add it to the Tahini cookie recipe.  Surely I'd be able to get away with doing that without changing the amounts and directions for making the Tahini and Almond cookies from David Lebovitz...

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

any favorite reference*s)   for seemed puddings ?

I like the idea of trying something in the Micro.

did this 30 + years ago w some sort of chocolate Rx ,

cake  like outer layer , creamy dark chocolate interior.

I made this microwave sponge but golden syrup and black treacle may be difficult for you to source. So try the marmalade pudding that's also linked on that page.

Anyone interested in traditional methods and recipes should try browsing here and here.

There's also a nice selection at BBC Food.

BTW, your chocolate cake was most probably Barbara Kafka's Steamed Chocolate Pudding.

• Like 1

@Pete Fred 

thank you !

and indeed that was the chocolate Rx

unfortunately , the marmalade pudding link from the ref. did not work.

I like the idea of a marmalade pudding.

would be easy to make the glaze from more marmalade and Whisky .

and thank you for reminding me I better take a stroll 

over to Total Wine and get some whisky , just in case.

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

How strange. Doesn’t work for me now, either. 

But this does. 👍

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Pete Fred 

thank you !

and indeed that was the chocolate Rx

would be easy to make the glaze from more marmalade and Whisky .

and thank you for reminding me I better take a stroll 

over to Total Wine and get some whisky , just in case.

Try this.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made another pretty easy cake today. It's a simple Mandarin cake. I haven't cut into it yet so I will report later on the result. I'm hoping for a little more citrusy flavor than the last Citrus cake that I made.

20230530_122936.thumb.jpg.ec44b610f4c805ca969e49577e0a8836.jpg

@MaryIsobel you mentioned that you like to make smaller desserts because there are only two of you. These cake pans that I use have plastic lids in any cakes that I make will last about 4 days in the refrigerator tightly covered like this.

20230530_122909.thumb.jpg.c7aafcdd5b535ee4031504df552c8929.jpg

Any cake that doesn't get eaten in 4 days gets turned into bread pudding in the instant pot.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

18 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I will report later on the result.

I cut into it last night and it's perhaps not as moist as I would like but the flavor is delicious.

20230531_083647.thumb.jpg.2fd99f3e365eb68ff60f6db4ec4f307c.jpg

I would recommend this recipe to anyone. When I made it I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a glass pan for 40 minutes. The only change that I made was to add a teaspoon of orange extract. The next time that I make it I'm going to make it with orange juice instead of Mandarin. I will probably try baking it at 325° instead of 350°.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1