• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

16 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Bakewell tart comes to mind. Also there are plenty of recipes for jam bars, oatmeal jam bars, etc. 

I was thinking the same thing, Bakewell.  You might want to peruse British recipes first, because they seem to use jam in baked goods much more than North Americans do.  (the BBC's "Good Food" website comes to mind.)

Also, I've used jams and preserves successfully as the bottom (reversed) layer in upside down cakes.  When you think about it, the fruit/sugar/butter base that we use for USD cakes is basically just jam anyway.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Bakewell tart comes to mind. Also there are plenty of recipes for jam bars, oatmeal jam bars, etc. 

I'm looking for jam to be mixed into the batter, as part of the flavoring, not as a standout item.  But those are nice alternatives of course.

19 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Yes please.  I also would like to find cakes that use jams as ingredients, not toppings.  I have too much jam on hand.  I don't use jam on toast or muffins.   

This Swirled Jam Cake from Snacking Cakes is very versatile.  Note the blueberry nutmeg and plum cardamom cake ideas on the page.  She also has a Peanutbutter and Jam Cake that's kind of fun. 

Not exactly a cake but this recipe for Jammy Winter Fruit and Browned Butter Bars from Midwest Made is very nice.  It begins with making the jam but I've made them with all kinds of homemade jam and it works well. 

Edited to add that when my Facebook baking group covered this book, most people advocated using more jam, up to doubling it, so consider that to use up even more of your stash!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add note (log)
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This Swirled Jam Cake from Snacking Cakes is very versatile.  Note the blueberry nutmeg and plum cardamom cake ideas on the page.  

I don't often see a post, get off my butt and then rush into the kitchen to make something the post referenced.  This happened today, after looking at the Swirled Jam Cake recipe.  I made a half recipe.  The jam I used was raspberry and billberry, which I had purchased at Ikea.

20221120_184437.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 6

11 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't often see a post, get off my butt and then rush into the kitchen to make something the post referenced.  This happened today, after looking at the Swirled Jam Cake recipe.  I made a half recipe.  The jam I used was raspberry and billberry, which I had purchased ar Ikea.

20221120_184437.jpg

Wow - hope it tastes as good as it looks 'cause it looks great!  
The book is a good one. All the cakes are sized for a 9” pan. I've baked several in smaller loaf pans and they froze nicely. Several people reported good results with mini or regular cupcakes so I think they are forgiving.  The Kindle version is currently $4.99 in the US but, sadly, not in Canada. Maybe it will pop up one of these days!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't often see a post, get off my butt and then rush into the kitchen to make something the post referenced.  This happened today, after looking at the Swirled Jam Cake recipe.  I made a half recipe.  The jam I used was raspberry and billberry, which I had purchased at Ikea.

20221120_184437.jpg

@ElsieDThat looks like an ideal crumb on that cake.  I'm sold!   Thanks for making that and showing it.

@blue_dolphin You are a true resource, thanks!

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The cake is delicious.  I did add some  nutmeg and lemon powder to the mix.  When I told John I was making it I got a less than enthusiastic response.  He does not like jam in stuff.  Anyways, we each had a piece and he declared it delicious and said he would happily eat it again.  So thank you, @blue_dolphin for the recipe.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This Swirled Jam Cake from Snacking Cakes is very versatile.  Note the blueberry nutmeg and plum cardamom cake ideas on the page.  She also has a Peanutbutter and Jam Cake that's kind of fun. 

Not exactly a cake but this recipe for Jammy Winter Fruit and Browned Butter Bars from Midwest Made is very nice.  It begins with making the jam but I've made them with all kinds of homemade jam and it works well. 

Edited to add that when my Facebook baking group covered this book, most people advocated using more jam, up to doubling it, so consider that to use up even more of your stash!

Been doing a little research on the Snacking Cakes book - wonder if I could presume on you to PM me the ingredient list for the Donut Cake. 

I have been making a lot more muffins as of late. I used to bake a couple of dozen weekly, it was a way to get something into my non-breakfast-eating daughters to have something in their stomachs before heading out for school. Recently our 25 year old nephew is staying with us while he finds a place to live and he is also not a breakfast guy (must be genetic as I am not either.) He is not opposed to taking a couple of muffins to eat at his desk later on at work. I used to make these muffins often as they are very easy. A whole orange; skin, pith and all buzzed up with a blender along with orange juice, eggs, melted butter, then quickly mixed with dry ingredients and chopped dates. 

muffins.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

18 hours ago, CookBot said:

When you think about it, the fruit/sugar/butter base that we use for USD cakes is basically just jam anyway.

This is a good point.

I was wondering about the science of adding a lot of pectin (jam/jelly) in a batter (not swirled in, but blended in) with leaveners.  Not a lot of info on this but there are studies showing pectin in batter can be a fat replacer and also is used in gluten free flour blends.   

I might have been over-thinking the jam ingredient thing.

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I might have been over-thinking the jam ingredient thing.

I've been wondering about the same thing. After all, there is a science to baking cakes. Everything depends on specific proportions, the type of leavening agent for specific ingredients, and the size of the pan for support of the cake.

The problem then is, which element do you reduce with the addition of the jam. Do you reduce the sugar element because jam has sugar? Jam has moisture. Which moisture element do you reduce? How will that jam affect the leavening agent? All of these have to be taken into consideration and I'm sure that a good food scientist could tell at a glance what to do. Unfortunately, I could only do it by trial and error.

I can usually tell by looking at a recipe if it is totally out of proportion and it seemed to me that that grapefruit cake had too much moisture. And I almost always read the comments to see if people have had problems. But by reading the comments on that cake, there were people that seemed to have made it and liked it. Maybe their idea of a good cake is just completely different than mine.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

On 11/20/2022 at 12:06 PM, blue_dolphin said:

This Swirled Jam Cake from Snacking Cakes is very versatile.  Note the blueberry nutmeg and plum cardamom cake ideas on the page.  

The author of that book, Yossy Areft has a lot of recipes on the NYT Cooking Site.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 7:46 PM, MaryIsobel said:

I have been making a lot more muffins as of late. I used to bake a couple of dozen weekly, it was a way to get something into my non-breakfast-eating daughters to have something in their stomachs before heading out for school. Recently our 25 year old nephew is staying with us while he finds a place to live and he is also not a breakfast guy (must be genetic as I am not either.) He is not opposed to taking a couple of muffins to eat at his desk later on at work. I used to make these muffins often as they are very easy. A whole orange; skin, pith and all buzzed up with a blender along with orange juice, eggs, melted butter, then quickly mixed with dry ingredients and chopped dates. 

muffins.jpg

Mary Isobel, these look and sound terrific. Can you provide some measurements, please?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Mary Isobel, these look and sound terrific. Can you provide some measurements, please?

Certainly, I'll post the recipe in the recipe section. They are very orange forward, which I love and can also be made with raisins instead of dates.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, lemniscate said:

I also would like to find cakes that use jams as ingredients

I just found this recipe for Orange Marmalade Cake and it looks interesting. I haven't made it but maybe it's worth a try. I've just spent about an hour on her site and she has some very interesting recipes from Scotland, the UK, and Italy. Several that I really want to try.

• Thanks 1

In Japan, they are obsessed with cultivating citrus and I came across something called a Jabara. It has the sweetness of a pomelo and the floral-ness of Yuzu. I turned some fresh Jabara I got from a farmer into a tart with honey yoghurt whip cream and fresh yuzu zest.      

20221115_070819 (1).jpg

20221115_065734 (1).jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

128751898_ApplePieDecember6th2022.thumb.jpg.72d01bdc6f4a6f51365015dbc9916a1e.jpg

Apple Pie.

Just out of the oven.

Looks real scrummy, sure would like a second helping a la mode.

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 2

A couple weeks ago I was walking along a street and a strong scent of roasted tea was on the air. Turns out there was this couple roasting their own tea leaves. I always thought how nice it would be to get a smokey flavor into desserts and so I made the tea leaves into cookies.

Hojicha chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and extra brown butter. 

20221213_091702.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

On 12/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, MikanPotatos said:

A couple weeks ago I was walking along a street and a strong scent of roasted tea was on the air. Turns out there was this couple roasting their own tea leaves. I always thought how nice it would be to get a smokey flavor into desserts and so I made the tea leaves into cookies.

Hojicha chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and extra brown butter.

I'll bet those are superb!

I have a friend who makes hojicha burnt Portuguese cheese cakes.  I must say, the color isn't terribly appetizing, but man, are they delicious.  That deep, smoky flavor is so satisfying.