• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

16 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I imagine that would be a good variation.   Please give it a go.

And so I did.  We had these today, using peach kefir and blueberries.  As the recipe says, they really puff up when you turn them, and stayed puffed up.  I loved them, John only liked them.  He said there was an aftertaste he didn't like, but I did not notice an aftertaste.

20221108_123223.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

And so I did.  We had these today, using peach kefir and blueberries.  As the recipe says, they really puff up when you turn them, and stayed puffed up.  I loved them, John only liked them.  He said there was an aftertaste he didn't like, but I did not notice an aftertaste.

20221108_123223.jpg

Do you think the "aftertaste" was the kefir or the fruit?   My homemade kefir doesn't taste like the supermarket kefir, it's funkier and thinner consistency.  It sure tasted like a tangy buttermilk in my Oladi.  But I didn't detect any funkiness at all, which I was a bit surprised about.

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Do you think the "aftertaste" was the kefir or the fruit?   My homemade kefir doesn't taste like the supermarket kefir, it's funkier and thinner consistency.  It sure tasted like a tangy buttermilk in my Oladi.  But I didn't detect any funkiness at all, which I was a bit surprised about.

I just asked him and he couldn't describe it.  He said he enjoyed the first few bites, the rest of it was okay 

until the end.  He said he didn't enjoy the last few pieces at all.  That is the best explanation he could come up with.  I'll just repeat that I thought it was great.

• Like 2

@CookBot – thanks so much for the crème brûlée advice.  I will note that on my recipe for next time!

I had a bunch of egg whites on hand, so I made Michael Ruhlman’s angel food cake:

1-IMG_1134.jpg.134c1a97693df67b408b0f94b0d882de.jpg

1-IMG_1135.jpg.9244219d30037408ac14e6d6c69a5034.jpg

I subbed a touch of Fiori di Sicilia for some of the vanilla.  Mr. Kim said it was the best I’ve ever made.  This is such a dependable recipe.  I’ve made it over and over again and it has never failed me. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

11 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Can any of the Brits here tell me -- how do you define the difference between a PANCAKE and a FLAPJACK?

Doubt that you will get any definitive answers. I grew up in the Midlands and the pancakes I enjoyed on Shrove Tuesday were about as thin as a crêpe, as large as a dinner plate, and were served with a sprinkling of sugar and a squeeze of juice from a fresh orange. I have no idea what a flapjack is. Nor do I know what other people in the Midlands might’ve had. I never saw pancakes served in my house except on Shrove Tuesday. They were served for tea, not breakfast.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Doubt that you will get any definitive answers. I grew up in the Midlands and the pancakes I enjoyed on Shrove Tuesday were about as thin as a crêpe, as large as a dinner plate, and were served with a sprinkling of sugar and a squeeze of juice from a fresh orange. I have no idea what a flapjack is. Nor do I know what other people in the Midlands might’ve had. I never saw pancakes served in my house except on Shrove Tuesday. They were served for tea, not breakfast.

We in BC called flapjack another name for pancakes.

17 minutes ago, oli said:

We in BC called flapjack another name for pancakes.

Oh, but what do you mean by pancakes?

• Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh, but what do you mean by pancakes?

Pancakes is common in the USA and the same in BC. When I was a kid in BC we had pancakes or used a slang 'flapjacks' but not very often, at home and the same thing at our restaurant. I didn't know there was anything remotely close other than the thin pancakes called crepes or palacsinta in Hungary.

Edited by oli (log)

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

the pancakes I enjoyed on Shrove Tuesday were about as thin as a crêpe, as large as a dinner plate,

Did they have any leavening or were they just egg-raised like a French crepe?

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

Can any of the Brits here tell me -- how do you define the difference between a PANCAKE and a FLAPJACK?

To my British family a pancake is a thin pan fried cake - more what we'd call a crepe.  They always sprinkle them with lemon juice and sugar and roll them up.  The roots of that family were from London and Lancashire.  I don't know if that is true for the rest of the country.  I'm pretty sure that a flapjack is more like what we'd call a granola bar.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

MasterClass seems to have an opinion. Never heard the Brit thing. Always thought it was a local term in some ateas  https://www.masterclass.com/articles/flapjacks-vs-pancakes-compared

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm pretty sure that a flapjack is more like what we'd call a granola bar.  

This is interesting!  MasterClass says:  In the United Kingdom and Canada, a flapjack is a baked bar cut into slices or squares, similar to granola bars or oat bars. A British flapjack recipe will call for rolled oats, butter, and brown sugar. They are cut into bars or squares and are typically served with tea or for an on-the-go breakfast.

This is new information to me.  I was asking because I heard a Scot refer to a flapjack and he clearly didn't mean a griddled pancake, but I had no idea it was a bar cookie (traybake).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Did they have any leavening or were they just egg-raised like a French crepe?

I cannot confirm either way. I didn’t make them. I just enjoyed them. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I am getting started on some Holiday cooking while using up existing "forgotten" stuff in the freezer.  I found a package of a mixed citrus jam and decided to use that in a poundcake recipe.  I like to make mini loaf cakes for flexibility.

Grapefruit Poundcake (cooking for two)  sounded close to what I wanted to do.  It's in the oven now.  We'll see.

What drove me a bit nuts about the write up is it's "cooking for two" yet makes 4 cakes.   And at the end it says the leftover cake will keep for 1 day in the refrigerator.  :wacko:

Apparently the recipe writer considers 1 of the mini loaf a portion per person per day. 

@Tropicalsenior"That sounds exactly what I have been looking for. I would be very interested to know how it turns out. Please let me know."

I don't know what this cake was supposed to be but it's not poundcake.  It's dense, moist and didn't rise.   It's like a pudding cake, spoonable barely sliceable.   Now that I look at the pic on the website, it looked like a baked pudding, not cake.  Flavors OK.   But it's not poundcake by any stretch.  And I didn't soak it with the syrup either.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

sounded close to what I wanted to do.  It's in the oven now.  We'll see.

That sounds exactly what I have been looking for. I would be very interested to know how it turns out. Please let me know.

I made a cinnamon apple cake the other day that, although not designated a pound cake, was one of the lightest, finest textured cakes that I have ever made. I'm going to be trying it with other fruits, notably grapefruit or orange to see if the results are as good. Let me know if you would like the recipe and I will put it in Recipe Gullet.

I used half of the recipe and it made an 8x8 cake, just perfect for two people.

18 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

It's dense, moist and didn't rise.

I just read the rules and proportions for pound cake and it sounds like this one has way too much moisture. Thank you for letting me know how yours turned out. 

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

made a cinnamon apple cake the other day that, although not designated a pound cake, was one of the lightest, finest textured cakes that I have ever made. I'm going to be trying it with other fruits, notably grapefruit or orange to see if the results are as good. Let me know if you would like the recipe and I will put it in Recipe Gullet.

Yes please.  I also would like to find cakes that use jams as ingredients, not toppings.  I have too much jam on hand.  I don't use jam on toast or muffins.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Yes please.  I also would like to find cakes that use jams as ingredients, not toppings.  I have too much jam on hand.  I don't use jam on toast or muffins.   

Just posted it. I have the same problem you do with jelly. I see it it looks good and I buy it but I never use it. I also make pretty good size batches of orange marmalade and it just sits there. I make my own Greek yogurt or more properly Labneh and I mix it into that for breakfast. I also like to make kolache but I lost my good recipe and I haven't found one I really like since.

I did use my orange marmalade in a recipe that I found for Chinese orange chicken. Probably one of the worst things that I have ever made in my life

18 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Bakewell tart comes to mind. Also there are plenty of recipes for jam bars, oatmeal jam bars, etc. 

• Thanks 1