• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

On 10/16/2022 at 10:31 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't celebrate birthdays for religious reasons but I almost might reconsider if someone served me a slice of this.

JoNorvelle…if I lived closer I’d invite ya for that slice….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't do much baking these days other than the occasional pie.
But I really wanted English Clotted Cream, so found a recipe to make it.

The had to make scones /biscuits to slather it on!

I put 2 pints of whipping cream into a shallow baking pan, and set it in the 175F oven for 12 hours. Cooled then into the fridge overnight.
After straining out the clotted cream, it was shipped for 30 seconds for a creamier texture. Amazing stuff!
Bakes biscuits and had it with rhubarb jam for afternoon tea.
                                                                                  894037478_6jarred9124.jpg.7c03d5aed22f6cbedf756e0b82c0f48f.jpg

1078279979_Biscuit9131.jpg.6011945fb30ae762889e658dbd65891c.jpg

681375096_EnglishCreamTea9133.jpg.7f4009f3ab33857cb08badc7f8781951.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Vegan brownies, made with avocado. You’d never guess, it just makes them very moist. I had some dark chocolate so I chopped it up and sprinkled over the top before baking.

2C5B9D44-AF0E-4015-834B-89954570669E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

For a while several years ago it seemed like beets were all the rage in cakes, mostly chocolate cakes. There were several recipes I found for baking Red Velvet cake using beets instead of food coloring. I never tried, because in order to get the color you have to use a LOT of beets. I did find one keeper, but it wasn't chocolate. It was a cake that used grated carrots, beets and sweet potatoes, all raw.  Two cups of mixed vegetables for one modest cake. Good and moist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

For a while several years ago it seemed like beets were all the rage in cakes, mostly chocolate cakes. There were several recipes I found for baking Red Velvet cake using beets instead of food coloring. I never tried, because in order to get the color you have to use a LOT of beets. I did find one keeper, but it wasn't chocolate. It was a cake that used grated carrots, beets and sweet potatoes, all raw.  Two cups of mixed vegetables for one modest cake. Good and moist.

Nigel Slater has a beet chocolate cake recipe in Tender that I've made and thought quite good.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Ooooh! Recipe perhaps, Katie?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I did find one keeper, but it wasn't chocolate. It was a cake that used grated carrots, beets and sweet potatoes, all raw.  Two cups of mixed vegetables for one modest cake. Good and moist.

This is the recipe I was interested in. Do you remember the author/chef?

10 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

For a while several years ago it seemed like beets were all the rage in cakes, mostly chocolate cakes.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Nigel Slater has a beet chocolate cake recipe in Tender that I've made and thought quite good.

It did seem like that craze for beets in cakes caught on more strongly in the UK than it did here in the states.  I think I even remember an episode of Great British Bakeoff where they had all the contestants use it.

@TdeVHere is the recipe. Very flexible. Not sure where it came from but it is heavily adapted by me.

ROOT VEGETABLE CAKE

This is like a carrot cake but using any combination of beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, yams or even some butternut squash.You can use slightly more applesauce and cut back on the oil. The recipe makes one 9 inch cake. Double it to make a layer cake or a large bundt cake. I have never frosted this cake, but it certainly could be done to glam it up a bit, like with a cream cheese frosting or whatever you would do to a carrot cake. KM

1 1/2 cup AP flour

1 cup sugar or less

1/2 T baking soda

1/2 tsp or more cinnamon, to taste

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil, such as grapeseed or sunflower

2 large eggs

1 tsp freshly grated ginger, or to taste

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 - 2 cups packed coarsely grated carrots, beets, sweet potato, yam, etc.

1/2 cup applesauce or other fruit sauce—I had some stewed rhubarb so I subbed some of that

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, or nut of choice.

Preheat the oven to 335 F Spray the pan with nonstick spray or fit in a disk of parchment paper, buttered, and grease the sides.

In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a smaller bowl whisk together the oil, eggs, ginger and vanilla. Add that to the flour, alternating with the applesauce and grated veggies. Stir by hand until almost combined. Add in nuts and stir just until batter is blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is starting get springy and the edges are pulling away from the sides. Cool the cake in the pan for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then loosen the edges with a knife and invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely. Invert again onto a cake plate. If you decide to frost it, make sure it is totally cool.

Substitutions and additions:

1/2 cup or so of grated unsweetened coconut

3/4 c applesauce and 1/3 c oil.

You can add a tsp or two of unsweetened cocoa powder to the dry mix.

You can sub 1/4 cup AP flour with buckwheat or corn meal.

You can sub golden or brown sugar for some of the white sugar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We had Mr. Kim’s mom over for dinner Friday night.  Dessert was caramel apple crème brûlée:

1-IMG_1049.jpg.a31d1e9915d7e71a15fb0b8f899ec02e.jpg

The top looks burnt, but it wasn’t.  These were definitely overcooked.  You can see from the video that they didn’t have that soft, velvety custard like they should have:

They were made in 10 oz. ramekins and are just too large.  I need to look at 6 and 8 oz. ones and see which size is better.  The flavor was spot on, though. 

• Like 5

I've been re-awakening my kefir grains for the past few weeks.   I got behind using it and found I had a very strong batch.  I found a recipe for Oladi- aka kefir pancakes.  They sounded reasonable and readily thrown together with pantry staples.  Very nice!  I made a half batch but forgot to lessen the sugar and vanilla.  I liked the flavoring no matter.  They have an underlying tanginess from the kefir but the vanilla/sweet balances nicely.  They puffed up so nicely.  They were devoured as they were removed from the pan with our after dinner beer, which was TJ's 2022 Vintage Spiced Ale.  Sorry, no pics, but mine did look like the ones on the website.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I've been re-awakening my kefir grains for the past few weeks.   I got behind using it and found I had a very strong batch.  I found a recipe for Oladi- aka kefir pancakes.  They sounded reasonable and readily thrown together with pantry staples.  Very nice!  I made a half batch but forgot to lessen the sugar and vanilla.  I liked the flavoring no matter.  They have an underlying tanginess from the kefir but the vanilla/sweet balances nicely.  They puffed up so nicely.  They were devoured as they were removed from the pan with our after dinner beer, which was TJ's 2022 Vintage Spiced Ale.  Sorry, no pics, but mine did look like the ones on the website.

If you wanted blueberry pancakes, you could use blueberry kefir and add blueberries to the batter, no?  Or maybe peach kefir and blueberries seeing as I have some peach kefir in the freezer.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, Kim Shook said:

We had Mr. Kim’s mom over for dinner Friday night.  Dessert was caramel apple crème brûlée:

The top looks burnt, but it wasn’t.  These were definitely overcooked.  You can see from the video that they didn’t have that soft, velvety custard like they should have:

I was always taught that if your custard base has little bubbles in it like yours appeared to, it was because the heat was too high, or your bain marie water didn't come up high enough.

They were made in 10 oz. ramekins and are just too large.  I need to look at 6 and 8 oz. ones and see which size is better.

Not too large for me!  :)

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Thanks 1