• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The rennet I have comes from the Portuguese bakery and there is no english on the bottle.

Fondness for Eastern European sardines aside, our manager at work is a Portuguese speaking Portuguese, and since she is a librarian she probably would be pleased to help.

When I was little I used to adore rennet pudding.  Although one has to ask:  for what does a bakery use rennet?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My second go at junket was a fail.  I warmed 2 cups whole (non ultra pasteurized) supermarket milk, made sure to keep milk 90-98F, added 10 drops rennet.  The flavoring I tried was a package of Swiss Miss hot chocolate.   It did not set.  Left it the whole day at room temp and its still liquid.   Theory is that something in the Swiss Miss counteracted the rennet, maybe.

@CookBot – that is an absolutely beautiful babka.  I love them, but haven’t ever attempted my own. 

Made a Chocolate Cream Dessert for a church luncheon last Sunday:

1-IMG_0665.jpg.ffd702a27f2f58b0df2e16bf58ee0c98.jpg

1-IMG_0677.jpg.e1f0b09f77c9ea70acd1fe48a49812b3.jpg

A cookie crust and a chocolate, marshmallow, and whipped cream filling.  This is one of those mysterious things that is perfectly good, but that people go inexplicably crazy over.  I made it back in March and thought it was good, but everyone I served it to loved it.  Same this time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

what a nice thing to to !

would you share the Rx 

I know exactly what you mean by 

"" is perfectly good, but that people go inexplicably crazy over ""

cheers.

Here you go.  Always happy to share!  I honestly think that doubling the amount of chocolate or using dark chocolate would be a good idea.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, lemniscate said:

Theory is that something in the Swiss Miss counteracted the rennet, maybe.

My money would be on an acid in the Swiss Miss, something other than lactic acid.  Just a guess.

1 hour ago, RWood said:

Happy Birthday to my cousin Jackie. She lives for York Peppermint Patties, so chocolate cake with minty cream filling.

I love the way the bottom of the cake is indistinguishable from the cake stand.  Very arty!

Or did you frost the cake stand too???    😉  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CookBot said:

I love the way the bottom of the cake is indistinguishable from the cake stand.  Very arty!

Or did you frost the cake stand too???    😉  

just the lighting 🤷‍♀️☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWood said:

Heading to Rhode Island for a wedding this week. Made some macarons for family.

Caramel, espresso, bourbon pecan and pistachio.

235B5892-399E-4FF1-99E7-328CE6B5D0BC.jpeg

I really do think we need a "WOW" icon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, RWood said:

Heading to Rhode Island for a wedding this week. Made some macarons for family.

Caramel, espresso, bourbon pecan and pistachio.

Stunning!  Especially the bourbon pecan ones.  And I don't even like macarons much!

I hate baking.  Saw this on Cooks Country the other night and decided to try it.  Blueberry Biscuits.  Came out fine.  I will not bake again for at least 3 months. 

https://wskg.org/cooks-country-blueberry-biscuits-ep-1505/

blueberry biscuits1.jpg

blueberry biscuits2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 3

I made an Epicurious recipe, Salted Caramel Risotto.  We had it for dessert tonight, layered with unsweetened whipped cream.  I had put it in small glass jars as it is very rich so I figured it best not make the servings to large.  I was right - it's delicious but very, very rich.

• Like 5

Can't recall if it was eG or elsewhere I was reading about Gateau Concorde - but seemed like it was made for the pacojet. Meringue easily made - added cocoa powder and almond powder. 3 discs into the oven after the turkey came out. Ganache added to cream also whipped in the pacojet. Too lazy to make curls - but had some ground chocolate (also done in the pacojet) to sprinkle on the top. 

After it spends the night in the fridge it should turn into the perfect dessert. 

IMG_4869.thumb.JPG.61a678f2374abae481a7a7f8faffe631.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

52 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Banana Cake with Peanut Butter frosting for a friends birthday

EA0D74F0-CCC3-4E76-AD6E-EB3717C01A01.thumb.jpeg.56b39ea856e30760b57ad36e500a49b6.jpeg36A9F619-EC40-41AF-8F22-E502A901542D.thumb.jpeg.ddafe11afab624fc3a2367cfc73895a9.jpeg

I don't celebrate birthdays for religious reasons but I almost might reconsider if someone served me a slice of this.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou