• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

828032903_IMG_42552.thumb.JPG.89617d18641b115a9c591edaabc6a6da.JPG

There was discussion about the Microwave Peanut Brittle (recipe supplied by @Kim Shook I seem to recall) somewhere on eG recently - which seemed like good reason to make it. Very satisfactory and very simple to make. Made a few adaptions to the basics - put the oiled sheet pan in the oven to keep it warm before pouring out the brittle on it to give me a bit more time to work with it, used glucose instead of the less viscous white corn syrup and forgot to mix them before the first nuking so had to add some water to get things back on track. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

There was discussion about the Microwave Peanut Brittle (recipe supplied by @Kim Shook I seem to recall) somewhere on eG recently - which seemed like good reason to make it. Very satisfactory and very simple to make. Made a few adaptions to the basics - put the oiled sheet pan in the oven to keep it warm before pouring out the brittle on it to give me a bit more time to work with it, used glucose instead of the less viscous white corn syrup and forgot to mix them before the first nuking so had to add some water to get things back on track. 

Here it is  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155163-snacking-while-egulleting-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2337049

Pre-Passover dessert.

Sweet couscous with butter and a little milk, cinnamon, nuts and dried fruits.

PXL_20220412_184940272.thumb.jpg.8a5b41d36ff35285ea24bea982dc98e7.jpg

PXL_20220412_185019280.thumb.jpg.b0abad781d5b596a9a1f29319f1faa45.jpg

Not the most impressive plating, since I made a tiny portion for two.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Made Eric Kim's Chamomile Tea Cake With Strawberry Icing from NYT Cooking.  Baked in 3 mini loaf pans and put 2 in the freezer.

5C4FFAF4-E9B9-4796-ABBE-B821F0043AB5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ee2d10dcff419519c72bf2e4314d7e06.jpeg

2547ED40-1069-4DD5-9344-06669449D988_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0195db1d0cca001ca2f75470037fd4e5.jpeg

The fragrance of the chamomile infusing into the melted butter and the hot milk was intoxicating. The taste of the cake didn't quite live up to the anticipation that fragrance built up but it's still a very tasty cake. 

• Like 7

So much delicious dessertedness!  

@RWood - I am just blown away by your artistry!  Thank you so much for posting that bunny!

@Matthew.Taylor - I think that is the most delicious looking Lady Baltimore cake I've ever seen.  Would you share the recipe?

@blue_dolphin - what perfect looking icing!  And I love strawberry above all other berries. 

Jessica and I made chocolate dipped stuff for after Saturday’s Easter Vigil champagne toast at our church.  Strawberries:

IMG_8892.jpg.0474eb580b976a748fb6b724740f7851.jpg 

Marshmallows:

IMG_8890.jpg.6f5d2f46651cd3b087712d4c8a97d0fd.jpg 

And pretzel rods:

IMG_8891.jpg.6f803b2fa36129cf069b395f96ea103c.jpg

The child has absolutely no interest in even trying to temper the chocolate🙄.  But it tasted good.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Made Eric Kim's Chamomile Tea Cake With Strawberry Icing from NYT Cooking.  Baked in 3 mini loaf pans and put 2 in the freezer.

5C4FFAF4-E9B9-4796-ABBE-B821F0043AB5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ee2d10dcff419519c72bf2e4314d7e06.jpeg

2547ED40-1069-4DD5-9344-06669449D988_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0195db1d0cca001ca2f75470037fd4e5.jpeg

The fragrance of the chamomile infusing into the melted butter and the hot milk was intoxicating. The taste of the cake didn't quite live up to the anticipation that fragrance built up but it's still a very tasty cake. 

I was wondering about that as it is such a delicate taste. I wonder if a cup of chamomile tea alongside woud enhance that scrnt/taste connection.  Texture looks great - good balance on the moist to dry scale.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I was wondering about that as it is such a delicate taste. I wonder if a cup of chamomile tea alongside woud enhance that scrnt/taste connection.  Texture looks great - good balance on the moist to dry scale.

Yes, it does!  I should have mentioned that.  I had it with a cup of coffee first and it was nice but the coffee kind of overpowered it while the chamomile tea did indeed enhance the flavor.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 4:19 PM, Kim Shook said:

@Matthew.Taylor - I think that is the most delicious looking Lady Baltimore cake I've ever seen.  Would you share the recipe?

Thank you very much! It feels good to hear that after that cake.

The cake didn't turn out to well, but this is the first time I've made a cake like this. Sadly, I believe I overbaked it, and made it somewhat dry. Plus the frosting collapsed while mixing so it wasn't as light as it should have been, and I needed to use Pam cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the spatula. Learn from my mistakes people! I will try this again sometime. I'll try to copy down the recipe, but you can find it in Nancie McDermott's book "Southern cakes." This is a GREAT Book for any cake maker. There's a recipe for a coffee cake in their that my family still loves even after all the years we've had the book.

Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations - Kindle edition by McDermott, Nancie, Luigart-Stayner, Becky. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Pecans I decorated it with came from here.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/glazed-pecans-3059100

Edited by Matthew.Taylor (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 9:10 PM, Matthew.Taylor said:

Thank you very much! It feels good to hear that after that cake.

The cake didn't turn out to well, but this is the first time I've made a cake like this. Sadly, I believe I overbaked it, and made it somewhat dry. Plus the frosting collapsed while mixing so it wasn't as light as it should have been, and I needed to use Pam cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the spatula. Learn from my mistakes people! I will try this again sometime. I'll try to copy down the recipe, but you can find it in Nancie McDermott's book "Southern cakes." This is a GREAT Book for any cake maker. There's a recipe for a coffee cake in their that my family still loves even after all the years we've had the book.

Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations - Kindle edition by McDermott, Nancie, Luigart-Stayner, Becky. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Pecans I decorated it with came from here.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/glazed-pecans-3059100

Thank you!  Looks like my kind of cookbook.  I'm a total cake girl.  Just ordered the book for $3.98 from abebooks.com!

• Thanks 1

Not me, but Jessica made a batch of Gooey Butter Bars as a thank you to a friend who loaned their keyboard to her.  She sang "The Rose" at my mother's memorial service and wanted to be accompanied by that rather than a big organ.  The bars are delicious, but incredibly rich:

IMG_9054.jpg.84ee53127a37fb98c09a6be4a90e143d.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg.ee17bed59fd4ec4b79ded8092aa3c5f5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Not me, but Jessica made a batch of Gooey Butter Bars as a thank you to a friend who loaned their keyboard to her.  She sang "The Rose" at my mother's memorial service and wanted to be accompanied by that rather than a big organ.  The bars are delicious, but incredibly rich:

Yum!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I have heard of Gooey Butter bars but they are not something common here - what is the flavour profile? They certainly look good!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have heard of Gooey Butter bars but they are not something common here - what is the flavour profile? They certainly look good!

They are similar to a chess pie, if you've ever had that.  Very buttery and sweet.  The butter and sugar slightly caramelize.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

They are similar to a chess pie, if you've ever had that.  Very buttery and sweet.  The butter and sugar slightly caramelize.  

Is there a recipe you could share?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:
54 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Is there an English version?

What browser are you using? You should be able to auto translate! That's what I did, but I can post the translated recipe when I get back home . 

He was a 2 Michelin * Chef I gather from his bio, mostly French background and has got some interesting recipes on there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Is there an English version?

material (17cm×8cm type for 2 units)
  • 200g/50g chocolate (black/milk) *50g bar for garnish on top*
  • 200ml fresh cream
  • 3 eggs
  • 50g granulated sugar
recipe
  1. finely chop the chocolate (black) and add the warmed fresh cream and melt.

2. combine the eggs and granulated sugar and mix until chewy. (ribbon stage)
    if there is room, put the chocolate and the temperature together in hot water.

3. mix 1 and 2 in several divided. (batter is for 2 molds, it did all fit in my 300g matfer mold)

4. lay a cooking sheet (line with parchment paper) on a mold and pour the dough.
    i like the size and quantity, but this time i shed 250 g of fabric on a 17 cm × 8 cm mold.

5. bake in a 130-degree oven (266F) for 30-40 minutes, board chocolate (milk) on top and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

when it is burnt, take the crude heat and complete it.

*Translation courtesy of Microsoft edge

• Thanks 1