• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

@rotuts - thank you.  I was feeling the same way, but don't know how to fix other peoples' pictures.  LOL

We had house guests and I made these to have around:

IMG_7135.thumb.jpg.a6b8ebf8a750cf0b5189b28195f02aad.jpg

IMG_7136.jpg.d4f7a4bf802545bf165d3b79a83734f1.jpg

They are called Macaroon Brownie Cupcakes and I got the recipe from the back of the Ghiradrdelli brownie box.  I confess to always using that mix.  They make better brownies than I ever have, so why would I NOT?  😁  They are very, very good.  Especially warm:

IMG_7137.jpg.34b08ae28a231c8078265a19e4a5172f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 4

@Kim Shook  Those look really good.  I may have to pick up a box.  Something I've liked that comes in a mix is Krusteaz pumpkin muffin mix.  They carried it at Costco for a couple of years and then replaced it with banana bread mix.  To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  Costco also discontinued the raisin brioche.  We don't eat breakfast so I liked to freeze these then re-heat in the CSO for a mid-morning snack.  Alas, no more.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  Those look really good.  I may have to pick up a box.  Something I've liked that comes in a mix is Krusteaz pumpkin muffin mix.  They carried it at Costco for a couple of years and then replaced it with banana bread mix.  To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  Costco also discontinued the raisin brioche.  We don't eat breakfast so I liked to freeze these then re-heat in the CSO for a mid-morning snack.  Alas, no more.

Here's the recipe in case they change the one on the box.  I'm sorry to hear about the pumpkin muffin mix.  My mom and I used to buy that and use it as a base for all kinds of pumpkin loaves.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heidih said:

What is the white layer? Looks like strong black coffee would be the best drink to accompany. Is it brown from spices?

It is cream cheese, powdered sugar and coconut oil…topped with chopped, toasted pecans

1 hour ago, RobertM said:

It is cream cheese, powdered sugar and coconut oil…topped with chopped, toasted pecans

That was my thought but but looked kinda thick. Like the classic carrot cake which aligns with your other ingredients. 

• 2 weeks later...

My friend Michelle asked me to make Book from Hocus Pocus for her daughter's birthday tomorrow. Cake is red velvet and cream cheese filling.

She has a big weekend of seeing Slipknot in Atlanta, and I think the cake is a surprise. She loves Halloween, probably more than me 😊.

5E80687C-B307-4CFA-A2CC-4BF1E405ED83.jpeg

AA1B19D8-A5A5-42BC-A3EF-6124DCA5A4FA.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, RWood said:

My friend Michelle asked me to make Book from Hocus Pocus for her daughter's birthday tomorrow. Cake is red velvet and cream cheese filling.

She has a big weekend of seeing Slipknot in Atlanta, and I think the cake is a surprise. She loves Halloween, probably more than me 😊.

5E80687C-B307-4CFA-A2CC-4BF1E405ED83.jpeg

AA1B19D8-A5A5-42BC-A3EF-6124DCA5A4FA.jpeg

I'm just awestruck!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cleaned out the banana graveyard and made three big loaves of banana bread with walnut oat crumble topping. And a few Halloween cookies. I always have big plans for decorating, but then it becomes "slap some icing on them and give them some eyes, done" 😁🤷‍♀️

4CA4F236-6005-4F46-B60C-D4E5662A66EB.jpeg

63869397-B20D-4DAC-B296-88D44733AC3F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Well if that is your low energy cookie icing - I bow in awe. I like the sound of your oat crumble on the banana brad but thinking it for my upcoming pumpkin bread. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well if that is your low energy cookie icing - I bow in awe. I like the sound of your oat crumble on the banana brad but thinking it for my upcoming pumpkin bread. Thanks.

It would be good on pumpkin too. It's Brown butter, brown sugar, oats, walnuts, cinnamon and salt. I can eat it by itself too 😊

• Like 2

Lemon and poppy cake with Greek yogurt.

PXL_20211022_181848085.thumb.jpeg.b92e934c685769567ac4e71e680aa43a.jpegPXL_20211022_182244265.thumb.jpeg.4ae75dbde4e01b18fc160cf152437473.jpegPXL_20211022_183610613.thumb.jpeg.3fdd88b7d953f77b3c2d147757d379fa.jpeg

Recipe below. With the variation of using only lemon (rather than lemon and mandarin). A little poppy inside and plenty as a topping.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Making the biggest cake I have ever made. Bottom is 3 - 12" layers, top is 3 - 9" layers. Raspberry and lemon filling, vanilla buttercream, filled and crumb coated, now in the freezer ready to transport 4 hours away. I have a box ready and ice packs in the freezer and where we are headed, the temps are around freezing. Day of the party I will do the final frosting and stack and decorate, got an edible image of a compromising picture for the top! Party is for about 75 people, cake will likely serve twice that many! For some reason, I can't upload a picture.

IMG_5982.jpeg

Edited by MaryIsobel
to add photo (log)
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, RobertM said:

These are called Apple Squares.  Kind of like apple pie on steroids.  86B2DF4F-965E-4B16-AA8E-330EAC143521.thumb.jpeg.5a50a83279697bd15afde5d1433bdc9f.jpeg10E1F673-E9EE-424F-8499-60B3ADBEAD28.thumb.jpeg.aae4bf3cb53e17d786ad1645f5e5f9eb.jpegMy mothers recipe.  It took me 28 years to make these…..it won’t be that long until the next ones.

Can you elaborate

33 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Sure, what would you like to know??

I guess what differentiates it from regular pie - what makes 9it on "steroids". The crust top/bottom looks different, and certainly not round pie shape.

Heidih - I think, for me, it was one of my Moms “signature” desserts and I had been intimidated to make it.  I have a lot of memories of dinners with my folks and this being the dessert (parties too).  Today I just decided to take the Bull by the horns and make it.  It turned out on a positive note…

Apple Squares

2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup lard

1 tsp salt

1 egg (separated)

milk (as needed)

corn flakes

10 - 12 Granny Smith apples (I used Ida Red apples)

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon 

Butter as needed

1 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup water

blend flour, lard and salt together

Put the egg yolk in a measuring cup and add enough milk to measure 3/4 cup

add to flour mixture

make a pastry dough 

Use 1/2 of your dough to roll out and cover a jelly roll pan

Crush 4 to 5 handfuls of corn flakes and spread over dough 

Peel apples and slice them over the corn flakes

Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over apples and dot with butter (I used about 1/2 of the sugar mixture)

Roll out the other half of dough and top the apples

Beat the egg white and brush on the top crust

bake at 375 F for 1 hour

mix powdered sugar and water and drizzle over crust while warm

cut into squares 

Serve warm or cold

serve with whipped cream or ice cream

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@RobertM Oh I understand that hesitation  never made my mom's signature baklava and other sweets until her memorial service. Each year I do for holidays but still procrastinate as if I  can not live up to it.  Congrats on the effort and good result. Imaginative use of cornflakes rather than bread crumbs for moisture control perhaps. We used to do the bread crumbs with juicy apples in strudel.  Corn flakes add flavor! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cteavin said:

I made barnbrack recently. (I've actually made a couple. I really like the tea plumped raisins and sultanas.)

330373456_barnbrackforyoutube.thumb.jpg.7213213fd0fa5abfb3e78cfc5112026f.jpg

Looks lovely - yeast or other leavening?

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Looks lovely - yeast or other leavening?

Baking powder. I did/do make a yeasted version but it's much less decadent that this. If you're interested, here's a video I made. The recipe is in the comments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was trying to salvage some baking mistakes/excesses by reworking them.

First was 2 mini citrus pound cakes, which turned out heavy and shortbread-like for some reason.   I cubed them up small and baked them until crunchy.  Might be good on yogurt or custard; but I'm eating them as is as I work around the house.

Second was a bunch of old fashioned doughnuts leftover from a Halloween party, I chopped them into bite size pieces and dried them a bit in a low oven.  Used a can of crushed pineapple and eggs/milk mixture and baked in mini loaf pans.   I did not add any additional sugar due to doughnut sweetness.  Pineapple bread pudding.  Tastes pretty wonderful, if I say so myself.

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2