• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

1 hour ago, shain said:

Chocolate chip muffins, made with sour cream. Those are not at all too sweet, with a 65% Callebaut. Baked twice so that they are toasty and crisp.

PXL_20210806_164907956_MP.thumb.jpg.a7bfca1bc863e8fec9fe26b293154bdc.jpg

PXL_20210806_180529980.jpg

That double bake is interesting. So is the final texture actually crunchy like s crisp cookie? Is this your twist or is it common?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

That double bake is interesting. So is the final texture actually crunchy like s crisp cookie? Is this your twist or is it common?

Yes, but only a thin layer, the interior is still soft. Being a crunchoholic, it's a nice effect.

It works with many baked goods, because the as it cools between the first and second bake, the moisture leaves and softens the surface. Then the second get it crispier. Just like twice fried french fries.

I can't remember if I first did it with bread or muffins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

While working on a new peach recipe right now, I remember my favorite peach recipe from last season.  I started with just a basic idea of doing something with peaches poached in wine and it turned into peaches poached in Riesling and encased in puff pastry and baked.  I just use frozen puff pastry and I don't trust that I could even come close to making it by hand.

Sweet Riesling Peach Tart with Lavendar.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Oh @David Ross I'm sure you could easily master puff pastry. Should you find yourself bored one day check out Julia Child's version in Mastering the Art of French Cooking - volume 2. She gives clear directions for both the full and the demi. I've done both and was happy with the result, and pleased with myself :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

While working on a new peach recipe right now, I remember my favorite peach recipe from last season.  I started with just a basic idea of doing something with peaches poached in wine and it turned into peaches poached in Riesling and encased in puff pastry and baked.  I just use frozen puff pastry and I don't trust that I could even come close to making it by hand.

Sweet Riesling Peach Tart with Lavendar.JPG

Ooooh, that looks so good!  I still have 4 tree ripened peaches on my counter.  Can you tell me a bit more about your dessert?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Ooooh, that looks so good!  I still have 4 tree ripened peaches on my counter.  Can you tell me a bit more about your dessert?

Thanks.  Here's the full recipe.  The peaches are poached in sweet riesling, water and herbes de Provence.  Then the tart starts with puff pastry, the poached peaches and brie cheese, then baked.  The poaching liquid is reduced down to a glaze and that is brushed over the peaches after baking, then garnished with dried lavendar flowers. 

Ingredients

3 large fresh peaches

1 bottle late harvest riesling wine use a late harvest, sweet white wine

1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence

1 cup cold water

1 cup reserved poaching liquid

2 tablespoon honey

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed

1 egg beaten

½ cup brie cheese

½ teaspoon dried lavendar flowers

Start by poaching the peaches. Score an x with a paring knife on the bottom of each peach. This helps to loosen the skin during poaching. Add the wine, 1 tablespoon of the Herbes de Provence to a saucepan. Add the peaches and add cold water to cover, about 1 cup.

Heat the mixture to a simmer and poach the peaches until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the peaches from the poaching liquid and gently pull off the skins. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits.

Pour the poaching liquid through a strainer. Reserve and use in drinks, pastries and sauces. Reserve 1 cup of the poaching liquid for the glaze. Heat the cup of reserved poaching liquid in a small saucepan and add the honey. Reduce over medium heat to make a glaze, 15 minutes.

Heat the oven to 430. Thaw the sheet of puff pastry and place on a floured counter. Draw the shape on a sheet of parchment paper as a template, then cut the puff pastry. Trim the edges of the pastry, then fold over to create the raised edge.

Place the peach halves on top of the puff pastry. Add chunks of the brie cheese around the peaches. Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the beaten egg. Brush the tops of the peaches with the reduced poaching liquid glaze.

Put a baking mat on a baking sheet, and transfer the tart to the baking sheet. Bake the tart for 35 minutes until it's golden brown. Bring the tart out of the oven and place on a cookie rack to cool. Brush the peaches with the reduced glaze and sprinkle with dried lavendar flowers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

IMG_4737.thumb.jpeg.5651cb654ec14ed9d95ac7f60245295f.jpeg

Flaugnarde (a la Richard Olney) of fig (mostly) and plum.  This was taken literally minutes out of the oven; it collapses into something resembling something more of this planet rather quickly.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

One of my bakery favorites but for some reason I've never made what we call Ranger Cookies at home.  Seems like cookbook recipes all vary as far as the ingredients, but the basics are a cereal and chocolate chips in the cookie. A local bakery adds raisins, so I added raisins, coconut and nuts.  These are really addictive and since they were on the counter from last night, I had them for breakfast this morning.

Featured (2).JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

I got it into my head yesterday to bake cookies as "thank you for your service" for local guards and firemen. Asked sis to pick up ingredients and she somehow came back with mini chocolate chips and I managed to undermeasure the flour so the cookies were wonderfully thin & crispy but def needed a strong cup of coffee alongside (sweet!). Baking at midnight - ya never know what will happen. 

Today this popped  up on New Yorker - this link is public  - anyone ever make it?  https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/jun/27/savory-cake-will-delight-tomato-lovers-/

• Like 2

Had 3 extremely ripe bananas, so...

IMG_4810.thumb.jpeg.7112b71f5f767bf8e526e347902766b2.jpeg

The Nick Malgieri (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) banana bread done in the steam girl.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Tiramisu. Home made lady fingers (baked into a sheet form, rather than piped) - soaked with coffee and brandy. Cream is zabaione with eggs, sweet wine, mascarpone.

PXL_20210718_171437546.thumb.jpg.068fc666e79a7883a9f4e4c476243854.jpg

PXL_20210716_165530173.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

Strawberry tiramisu.

Home made strawberry preserves. With the remaining lady finger and zabaione-mascarpone filling, plus vanilla.

Topping is caramelized hazelnuts.

PXL_20210717_110515316.thumb.jpg.0be3b3f7a157e5251194d98c25e33ded.jpg

There's more strawberry than what this image shows :)

PXL_20210717_123716496.thumb.jpg.db173ef585c682bcaa12260c8187b141.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 6

~ Shai N.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:50 PM, shain said:

Strawberry tiramisu.

Home made strawberry preserves. With the remaining lady finger and zabaione-mascarpone filling, plus vanilla.

Topping is caramelized hazelnuts.

PXL_20210717_110515316.thumb.jpg.0be3b3f7a157e5251194d98c25e33ded.jpg

There's more strawberry than what this image shows :)

PXL_20210717_123716496.thumb.jpg.db173ef585c682bcaa12260c8187b141.jpg

I am not a coffee lover, so this tiramisu looks delightful to me!

A couple of recent things - one legitimately delicious and the other a little silly but popular and admittedly good!  The delicious was a peach cobbler that @gfweb posted awhile back and shared the recipe.  We got some amazingly good peaches at Costco and I put it together.  Before baking:

IMG_6992.jpg.2f875a8701d0d6ef50a5f3ebc7fd8456.jpg

Out of the oven:

IMG_6993.jpg.99729d10ca154c4352cd7fe11bd9e856.jpg

Plated (but before vanilla bean ice cream):

IMG_6998.thumb.jpg.e69132070c66b381ff8ce62beb5bb367.jpg

It was excellent!  Thank you so much for posting the recipe, @gfweb.  We've got some frozen peaches and look forward to having this dessert in the winter.

Edited because I forgot the silly thing.  I made those greater-than-the-sum-of-their-parts chocolate/caramel/saltines candy:

IMG_7023.jpg.ba04706f3a18c62ce209374b0f577ffb.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@Kim Shook's post above reminds me...I've made a couple of peach pies using a modified version of a New York Times recipe. The crust needs some work to keep it from getting a soggy bottom, but I was quite pleased with the appearance and flavors of the latest attempt. (I'll just gloat over the uncut pie, since the filling was runnier than I'd have liked. 🙂 )

20210912_174355.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@Kim Shook's post above reminds me...I've made a couple of peach pies using a modified version of a New York Times recipe. The crust needs some work to keep it from getting a soggy bottom, but I was quite pleased with the appearance and flavors of the latest attempt. (I'll just gloat over the uncut pie, since the filling was runnier than I'd have liked. 🙂 )

20210912_174355.jpg

Flavor is more important I think. When my mums peach pies from our super ripe peaches was runny we just scooped out crust & filling into bowls and dressed as desired with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Heavenly taste and smell..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

May I come over for a slice?

Save some for me!

(I'll have to look into that recipe. Thanks for the reminder, @blue_dolphin.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Apple kugel. A must make every year around Yom Kippur or Shavuot.

Home made egg noodles, apples, walnuts, raisins, butter, cinnamon, red wine, eggs. Brushed with butter  and baked until the top is crisp.

PXL_20210918_190241203.thumb.jpg.c1dfff1dd6bcd70e3b62a3f8345aff0f.jpg

PXL_20210918_190143622.thumb.jpg.316c63f8f797bae8cdafbb40119d63f4.jpg

Recipe:

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Caramel Slice from an Australian formula!  Not a bad flavor, but if I make them again, I will develop the caramel flavor more, and bypass their instructions.  But, I figure, the first time I should follow what the formula says, then after, I can tweak…

BE9907E7-DC18-455F-B5AD-F1DAC3DE71E6.thumb.jpeg.f0adcdd2f36bf6d020f01f854cf97b68.jpeg

• Like 12