• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

5 minutes ago, David Ross said:

On a whim, I decided to take out my Mother's 1950 edition of the Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book.  I hadn't made peanut butter cookies in a few years, and this was the recipe she used. The only update was a garnish of dry-roasted peanuts on top.  

Peanut Butter Cookies Main.JPG

Inside the cook book with classic illustrations and the different Betty Crocker test kitchens.

Are they on the crunchy side? I like the dry roast peanut sprinkle. No cross hatch fork pattern huh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Are they on the crunchy side? I like the dry roast peanut sprinkle. No cross hatch fork pattern huh?

I did do the cross-hatch but you can't see it very good with the peanuts.  These are nice and soft, chewy peanut butter cookies. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, David Ross said:

I did do the cross-hatch but you can't see it very good with the peanuts.  These are nice and soft, chewy peanut butter cookies. 

I thought so on the fork marks. I prefer crunchy but enjoy soft if there is some chew - so I'll be right over. Ice cold milk? And I'm not a milk girl generally.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

I thought so on the fork marks. I prefer crunchy but enjoy soft if there is some chew - so I'll be right over. Ice cold milk? And I'm not a milk girl generally.

I'm not a milk drinker myself, but will have a small glass with these cookies.

• Like 5

I did not do my usual holiday Christmas baking and gifting this past year. Picked up mail yesterday and guy said he'd bring it to me for cookies. Teasing/hinting. So I dug up my mom's baklava (via Jordan), am re-reading our topic, and going to pick lemons. I've been making it since I was a teen but I get anxious every time.. Never a fail and I am not an anxious person - wish me well   https://forums.egullet.org/topic/105592-baklava-baklawa/:)

• Like 5

I love peanut butter but don't love peanut butter cookies.  The trouble with all the ones I have had is that they are so sweet they make my teeth ache.  If anyone has a recipe for peanut butter cookies that are not overly sweet and would like to share their recipe, I'd happily make them.

• Like 1

I saw a recipe in passing for peanut butter-miso cookies which sounded like a great variation to get them heading in the saltier direction.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I love peanut butter but don't love peanut butter cookies.  The trouble with all the ones I have had is that they are so sweet they make my teeth ache.  If anyone has a recipe for peanut butter cookies that are not overly sweet and would like to share their recipe, I'd happily make them.

Could you not just cut out a portion of the sugar and make sure you use natural unsweetened peanut butter.  (Not advice from an expert...I am the world's worst cookie baker.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Could you not just cut out a portion of the sugar and make sure you use natural unsweetened peanut butter.  (Not advice from an expert...I am the world's worst cookie baker.)

But would that have an impact on the texture of the cookie?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

But would that have an impact on the texture of the cookie?

That is indeed the question...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't think I've ever made a Walnut Tart, but I am glad I did.  It's really sweet, much like a pecan pie, but a small slice was perfect. I use my standard shortbread pastry recipe I've made for years.  It's simple, just powdered sugar, butter and flour, and is easy to just press into a tart pan with your fingers.  The filling was just walnuts, butter and sugar.  The candied walnuts weren't perfect looking, but tasted delicious.  Just walnuts tossed in hot caramel.  I finished it this morning and had a slice for breakfast!

Walnut Tarte with Candied Walnuts.JPG

• Like 13

Compared with most posts here, this one barely qualifies as baking 🙃 It's the Any Frozen Fruit & Cornmeal Cobbler from Julia Turshen's Simply Julia. Super easy, just throw the frozen fruit in a pan, mix up a quick cobbler toping, pour over and bake.  Recipe can be found online here

I made a half batch in a smaller pan.

IMG_3874.thumb.jpeg.1fe8f3af222255d12f32a3d032c8e3da.jpeg

IMG_3879.thumb.jpeg.fc6197d80f305684c4e7e95f83dc6a5b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

43 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Compared with most posts here, this one barely qualifies as baking 🙃 It's the Any Frozen Fruit & Cornmeal Cobbler from Julia Turshen's Simply Julia. Super easy, just throw the frozen fruit in a pan, mix up a quick cobbler toping, pour over and bake.  Recipe can be found online here

I made a half batch in a smaller pan.

IMG_3874.thumb.jpeg.1fe8f3af222255d12f32a3d032c8e3da.jpeg

Oh yes - liking the idea of cornmeal and fruit. Oh the list grows.

Hot baked sweet potatoes with a bit of salt and maple syrup. Warm adzuki beans sweetened with brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of cocoa. Ricotta with vanilla, lightly sweetened (I would've used whipped cream, but didn't have any). Caramelized peanuts. Corn flakes.

A bit crazy? Maybe. Those are flavors which are popular in Southeast Asian desserts, tough usually cold. They proved to work here as well.

This was a very satisfying dessert-as-light-supper.  It has both vegetables and two sources of protein, it's almost healthy :P

PXL_20210222_191543184.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

10 minutes ago, shain said:

Hot baked sweet potatoes with a bit of salt and maple syrup. Warm adzuki beans sweetened with brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of cocoa. Ricotta with vanilla, lightly sweetened (I would've used whipped cream, but didn't have any). Caramelized peanuts. Corn flakes.

A bit crazy? Maybe. Those are flavors which are popular in Southeast Asian desserts, tough usually cold. They proved to work here as well.

This was a very satisfying dessert-as-light-supper.  It has both vegetables and two sources of protein, it's almost healthy :P

PXL_20210222_191543184.jpg

I would eat it. I think of sweet potatoes like pumpkin not just because of color -  which to me can go sweet or savory. NICE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shain said:

Yum!  Looks not entirely dissimilar to Nik Sharma's Baked Sweet Potatoes With Maple Crème Fraîche, a dish I've got on my list to make.  Although he's got scallions and fish sauce in there that nudge it out of the dessert realm. 

• Like 2

Inspired by @blue_dolphin and by a huge stock of frozen mulberries, I decided to try and make cobbler for the first time. While the corn variation sounded great, I opted to start with a more classic recipe, though I think either the recipe or my measurements where a bit off, since the batter seemed too runny. Still quite good, just more dumpling like than biscuit like.

I have more mulberries, I think I'll make my go-to a crumble topping next time and I'll visit cobblers again some time in the future.

PXL_20210312_200501882.jpg

PXL_20210312_200740179.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

We had our first dinner party in over a year Thursday night.  I made a dessert that I haven’t made in years.  It is an old (maybe 1980s or 90s Epicurious or Bon Appetit) recipe called Chocolate Mousse Pie.  I tried out my St. Honore pastry tip for the first time.  Whipped cream:

IMG_5905.thumb.jpg.3e6291ee311ec8fda07087623928ea59.jpg

Not bad, considering how fussy piping whipped cream can be.  Decorated:

IMG_5906.jpg.7fd82033bbf77603af50cdc02f982b19.jpg

Slice:

IMG_5916.jpg.fc28564d858bda753b6298400a472ca9.jpg

Not a great job on getting the crust even, but it tasted very good. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

On 5/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Made the Any Frozen Fruit Cobbler again.  This time with mango & blueberry.

I'll have to try this corn cobbler before it gets too hot. How'd you found this fruit pairing to be?

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, shain said:

I'll have to try this corn cobbler before it gets too hot. How'd you found this fruit pairing to be?

Blueberry + mango is one of my favorite fresh fruit combinations.  I wasn't sure how I'd feel about them cooked but I quite liked it.  A lot of the blueberries burst and released their juice and the mango maintained its integrity so it was a good mix. 

The cobbler topping that I used comes out rather cake-like, similar to a lightly sweetened cornbread.  It softens on sitting but the surface crisps up nicely when reheated.  Not sure if that's appealing to you or not. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1