• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I apologize for the bold typeface, but I can't seem to get rid of it.  

@jimb0 – your hot cross buns are beautiful and sound delicious.

@Kerry Beal – that bread looks fantastic.  I’ve always had (and seen in stores/bakeries in the US) the cross done with a thick glaze after baking.  But when I look at British ones the cross looks like yours – piped on before cooking so that it bakes into the crust.  Sometimes the entire bun is glazed after baking.  I like how your cross becomes part of the bun. 

@AAQuesada – that table is just exquisite and so Spring/Easter looking!

As expected, my coconut cake was a big disappointment.  As mentioned above, I definitely overbeat it.  It looked pretty on the outside:

IMG_5554.jpg.5bae55f18da861bdcc70dddecaa099b9.jpg

But the texture was horrible and tough:

IMG_5556.jpg.792dbdb023ce03b7168c3bd0e12df975.jpg

This was a recipe I’ve made plenty of times before and it’s been really good, so at least I know it’s not the recipe.  The frosting was, as always, delicious when it was freshly made.  It is a cream cheese and butter icing, which I am normally not a fan of since it needs to be refrigerated and I don’t care for cold cake.  I should either frost the cake last minute (which I hate doing) or use a frosting that can stay out.  I am happy to say that the addition of the Fiori de Sicilia was lovely.  I used 1/2 t. in the cake and the frosting and it was just right. 

• Like 7

thanks friend. this was kind of a seat-of-my-pants go, which is how a lot of my bakes are. i wasn't sure if using so much olive oil (~110g) would be overpowering but it really seemed to work.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@shain 

your babka's always look so inviting

the few Ive had were dry , and the amendments never gooey

enough

yours look perfect

I hope babka's can be made w butter.

and lots of it.

Thanks! They need to be fresh, that's why I divide the dough and make a few small ones over a week. I use butter and sour cream, plenty but not lots - it's not quite at a brioche level of richness (because of the inclusions, IMO it could be too much).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Used the 2nd third of the dough I made for another babka.

This one is filled with tvorog cheese (farmers cheese), as well as lightly cooked apples, raisins, vanilla, nutmeg, a bit of cinnamon and rose water.

Tisane of rose geranium and lemon verbena.

PXL_20210111_193643021.thumb.jpg.0d903d6168f3ad7724df808e0deb9b5a.jpgPXL_20210111_195350440.thumb.jpg.77c0fd87bef947371b68e38063f9e896.jpg

PXL_20210111_161747371.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

23 hours ago, shain said:

Used the 2nd third of the bough I made for another babka.

This one is filled with tvorog cheese (farmers cheese), as well as lightly cooked apples, raisins, vanilla, nutmeg, a bit of cinnamon and rose water.

Tisane of rose geranium and lemon verbena.

PXL_20210111_193643021.thumb.jpg.0d903d6168f3ad7724df808e0deb9b5a.jpg

I think I've died and gone to heaven.  OMG, that looks so good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Aranygaluska. Hungarian for "golden crumbs".  Last part of the babka dough, rolled into balls, dipped in butter, rolled in a mixture of walnuts brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Some plum preserves spooned in between.

Served warm of creme anglaise.

PXL_20210114_191153401.jpg

PXL_20210114_192932454.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

My favorite spring desserts, both using rhubarb.  Rhubarb Pot Pie and Rhubarb Bread and Butter Pudding with Mascarpone Cream.  

Rhubarb Pot Pie.jpg

Featured Image.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

4 minutes ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

Gluten-free cinnamon swirl with pralined pecans!

Beautiful and let me say how happy we all are to see you safe!

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not my making - bought some baklavas. Nothing fancy, but not overly sweet and the nuts used are good. Some better than others. Also a couple of warm, kadaif pastry filled with sweet stretchy cheese.

Black Turkish coffee with cardamom.

PXL_20210206_130714252.thumb.jpg.a3344e901a3b2fb884b4e51fdd1f9ad5.jpgPXL_20210206_130831410.thumb.jpg.a0200a4e4c3cb81d60b1002931ebcb6a.jpg

Ramadan kareem! :)

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

@shain @Cahoot you should try this ... https://www.imamcagdas.com/anasayfa

Even my mom makes occasionally spending hours ... when we want to eat baklava, we mostly order it from Çağdaş.

And ... at the end, we always agree that my mom's baklava tastes better than the Çağdaş's baklava :)

On the site, there are two types of baklava with a slight difference. Baklava normally contains kaymak. Sold as "dry (kuru) baklava", as far as I know, does not contain kaymak ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaymak

1.thumb.jpg.269787eaff84e7d0eda01a520f258dde.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Altay.Oro said:

@shain @Cahoot you should try this ... https://www.imamcagdas.com/anasayfa

Even my mom makes occasionally spending hours ... when we want to eat baklava, we mostly order it from Çağdaş.

And ... at the end, we always agree that my mom's baklava tastes better than the Çağdaş's baklava :)

On the site, there are two types of baklava with a slight difference. Baklava normally contains kaymak. Sold as "dry (kuru) baklava", as far as I know, does not contain kaymak ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaymak

Those are some lovely pastries. I can get really good ones if I go to the city (though probably not as good, Turky is the master of baklavas, IMHO).

I think my home made baklavas are pretty good, better than those I bought this time for sure. But time and energy are limited, and I have so much things to cook... There are some of our favorite sweets that I haven't made in years, because I got so many new things to try.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

Romanian papanashi. Doughnuts made with farmers cheese, semolina and flavored orange zest. Topped with sour cream and black cherry preserves, which I like to spike with a touch of cocoa liquor which highlight the cherry "darker" notes.

The dough is very easy to make, not sticky and no kneading involved. First I fried the entire batch in shallow oil (half height). Some went to the fridge. Then, when ready to eat, I reheated the oil and fried a second time until crisp. The sour cream and preserves must not be cold.

PXL_20210117_204208601.jpg

PXL_20210117_205339929.jpg

PXL_20210117_205359142.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@shain Your doughnuts are really nice combo. I like the chocolate/cherry interplay  and had not thought of the liquor and with the orange zest in the dough :)

• Like 2

On a whim, I decided to take out my Mother's 1950 edition of the Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book.  I hadn't made peanut butter cookies in a few years, and this was the recipe she used. The only update was a garnish of dry-roasted peanuts on top.  

Peanut Butter Cookies Main.JPG

Inside the cook book with classic illustrations and the different Betty Crocker test kitchens.

Betty Crocker Cook Book 1950.jpeg

• Like 9