• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

58 minutes ago, heidih said:

Like the name and look. What was the lemon filling? I've never had the pleasure of lemon filling in puff pastry.

Thanks Heidi.  The filling is really nothing more than a pastry cream with a microplane zest of a whole lemon.  The starch is 100% cornstarch, which is interesting to me.  Way too rubbery on it’s own, I think it works great as a filling here.

• Like 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Same dough day later, some palmiers.  I’m hoping this isn’t just a one off, but even after an additional turn this morning (to coat dough in sugar before final rollout), and using 100% bread flour (11.7% protein), this dough was a real pleasure to work with.

Now, of course, there is that $10K yearly Beurre d’Isigny or Echire budget I have to work out with the family.🥳

B122CC11-E7DF-4B06-B70E-8A6383AC109F.jpeg

22D9F946-69CE-4AB5-9F6C-C0744EC4E929.jpeg

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Nice! I've only made them once with the recipe in Julia Child Vol 2. They were much appreciated by all and easier than they look - and that was just regular AP flour and Knudsen butter (been quite a while). As things calm down I may be inspired to bake again. The recovery home down the road has a culinary training program and the guys are always eager to learn and I like to teach. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice! I've only made them once with the recipe in Julia Child Vol 2. They were much appreciated by all and easier than they look - and that was just regular AP flour and Knudsen butter (been quite a while). As things calm down I may be inspired to bake again. The recovery home down the road has a culinary training program and the guys are always eager to learn and I like to teach. Thanks for the inspiration.

That’s so cool it’s in her book.  Been a long time since I’ve visited Julia, about time I say hello again. (« Julie and Julia » doesn’t count, I know!).

No false modesty here, Heidi, but you and so many here are the inspirations.  I’m really grateful all you all have done to keep this community thriving.

• Like 3

-Paul

Well, 1 cup of vodka, 1/2 a cup of bourbon, 1 and 1/2 cups of toasted black walnuts, left in the back of the pantry for two months and three days. I ended up with around 4 oz of extract. Not as much as I wanted m, but enough for the black walnut cake I intend to bake in the next week or so.

FEF60221-B7F1-40C5-A04F-B7E10FECAA98.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks good, though.  Maybe a little dense - it's hard to tell from the picture.  Amounts of black walnuts are hard to determine.  With any other kind of nut, you can tell from how many you see in the batter and add more if you need to.  Black walnuts are so strongly flavored that it's hard to tell until the cake is baked and you taste it!  What is the glaze?  It looks luscious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

It looks good, though.  Maybe a little dense - it's hard to tell from the picture.  Amounts of black walnuts are hard to determine.  With any other kind of nut, you can tell from how many you see in the batter and add more if you need to.  Black walnuts are so strongly flavored that it's hard to tell until the cake is baked and you taste it!  What is the glaze?  It looks luscious!

Well it’s technically a pound cake, so it would be a little dense. The glaze is brown sugar, black walnut extract, confectioners sugar, butter and milk. I actually had to save it when the original recipe made the “frosting” dry and clumpy. I added more milk and made it a glaze.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Made these for the grandnieces and nephew for their Easter goodie bags:

63907712419__B427CAA8-6F60-405D-931E-642DDBB36A27.jpg.a983920edfe2c5782220cb0aeb34633a.jpg

Like Rice Krispy Treats, but even sweeter 😄.  LOLOLOLOLOL

Hello.  I'm your grandniece that you didn't know existed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

@Kim Shook 

this looks like a puzzle to me.

Fortunately , I solved it.

And I claim to be the first :

it's the top R square that has been rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

1/4 turn.

I hope there is a prize.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@rotuts - it actually was a bit of a puzzle.  I was putting together 4 packets of the things.  One for each of 3 grandnieces/nephew and one for Jessica.   I cut the whole pan into 24 pieces so each packet got 6.  Some stuck together as I picked them up, some didn't, and none of them would line up neatly 😄

Well, my coconut cake for Easter dinner is a little sad:

IMG_5518.jpg.b04dd57a72801c66d423c9f892ef6cd5.jpg

I think I overbeat the batter.  It’s hard to see, but there is a definite depression in the middle.  I have the bigger KA and sometimes forget that it is more powerful and that I need to hold back on time or speed when mixing some things.  Hoping that the icing will cover things sufficiently.  It smells heavenly, though.  I used coconut and the new extract that I ordered from King Arthur:

IMG_5508.thumb.JPG.22ec31cf746aeb34b21bff6b592c2551.JPG

It was EXTREMELY pricy, so I hope it will be worth it.  I hadn't ever heard of it.  Mr. Kim's mom got me interested in it. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

31 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

It was EXTREMELY pricy, so I hope it will be worth it.  I hadn't ever heard of it.  Mr. Kim's mom got me interested in it. 

There is a townhouse on Manitoulin Island which on a hot day probably still smells of this. Click.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

There is a townhouse on Manitoulin Island which on a hot day probably still smells of this. Click.

Wow.  And they warn you about letting it get on plastic which is can erode.  Sounds dangerous.  Smells heavenly.  Like some extract femme fatale 😁.  

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@rotuts - it actually was a bit of a puzzle.  I was putting together 4 packets of the things.  One for each of 3 grandnieces/nephew and one for Jessica.   I cut the whole pan into 24 pieces so each packet got 6.  Some stuck together as I picked them up, some didn't, and none of them would line up neatly 😄

Well, my coconut cake for Easter dinner is a little sad:

IMG_5518.jpg.b04dd57a72801c66d423c9f892ef6cd5.jpg

I think I overbeat the batter.  It’s hard to see, but there is a definite depression in the middle.  I have the bigger KA and sometimes forget that it is more powerful and that I need to hold back on time or speed when mixing some things.  Hoping that the icing will cover things sufficiently.  It smells heavenly, though.  I used coconut and the new extract that I ordered from King Arthur:

IMG_5508.thumb.JPG.22ec31cf746aeb34b21bff6b592c2551.JPG

Not only extremely pricy, Fiori di Sicilia is extremely potent.  Please don't over do it.  Or you will be sad.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Wow.  And they warn you about letting it get on plastic which is can erode.  Sounds dangerous.  Smells heavenly.  Like some extract femme fatale 😁.  

It's the orange oil in it which is hard on plastic. It's the flavouring that goes gives panettone it's distinctive flavour. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1