• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Trying a few new banana bread recipes... one from sourdough discard (texture way too moist & compact) and one from an old family friend (more of a sour cream banana bread). Still prefer my old tried and true recipe but it was fun to try some other recipes.

1911243228_IMG_6603-bananabread-sourdoughdiscard.jpg.c1025d4b89458355e917327417286e5d.jpg

1820811461_IMG_6646-bananabread-AuntElaine.thumb.jpg.9ce280193b1f6b4cc944ce62e6f07f05.jpg

• Like 8

We're snowed in here, so once the electric company told us the danger of rolling blackouts was over for the day, I started baking. First off, cream puffs filled with vanilla ice cream (a cross between Bo Friberg's and Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipes). I barely got a photo off before they were absconded with...

DSC_7798.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

13 hours ago, trisme11 said:

All the marmalade!!!! I love it

How was the orange flavor?

Orange flavour was great - didn't have orange concentrate so I just boiled down a crap ton of orange juice instead for the pastry cream. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 2

Salted caramel brown butter pecan cookies. It’s been a while since I’ve baked these and that’s probably a good thing for my waistline since with a scoop of icecream while hot these are dangerous (I have no idea why I’ve got no flaky sea salt anywhere at the moment so I just chucked on some merlot salt I found in the cupboard)

A395A97B-2767-41F2-8DC7-77436E314396.thumb.jpeg.dc9f459bdfd7e90f9f8d3a75d190822f.jpeg

1FC5980C-F4B4-4F9D-A6A1-CE4832363A84.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

@Chris Hennes – the layers on your little cinnamon rolls are beautiful!

@Cahoot – I am positively lusting after your lovely lemon meringue tart.  Every single component looks perfect.  I believe that I recognize the tip that you used to get that gorgeous meringue.  Someone here used that years ago and I bought the tip and haven’t ever used it.  I need to dig it out and search out a video on how to get those beautiful tips!

@blue_dolphin – I’d love to have one of your macaroons!  I love coconut in every form but haven’t ever had a shaved coconut macaroon.  I know I’d love them.

@trisme11 – mango pastry cream, coconut ganache and that gorgeous pastry.  What a perfect combination. 

@Jonathan – the chocolate oozing out of that cooky GOT me!  Now I want that!

So much beautiful stuff lately.  I’ve been falling asleep to past seasons of the Great British Baking Show and waking up craving CAKE and cookies! 

So, I made @Norm Matthews’ Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake again:

IMG_5046.jpg.92c47beecffccb75da02b9fedb945baa.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg.01ca45c211942c36cff3ae6c505da997.jpg

I made it last month for Mr. Kim to take to his dad’s.  This one was for us.  Like the last time I made this, I felt like the pineapple and cherries were “overexposed”.  The time that I made it in 2017, it wasn’t like that.  But the texture and the flavor are great:

IMG_5057.thumb.jpg.0c5773ea846136784240e1533185f4c5.jpg

I also made Valentine’s sugar cookies:

IMG_5044.jpg.2da81d72f2fe943c9a433008a5cec311.jpg

This dough was from a roll of purchased stuff that I didn’t use at Christmas.  I tried every sugar cooky recipe I came across for years and never found something that held its shape or tasted much better than this stuff.  I can’t count the number of times that folks recommended a recipe promising that the cookies would bake without losing the sharpness of the edges and they spread into blobs – no matter how thin or thick I rolled them.  So, I don’t even try anymore.  These stay in shape and taste good. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

What brand?

I'm having a major sweet tooth right now and I want every single thing on this page.

Usually Pillsbury, but I've used the Kroger store brand when I couldn't find the Pillsbury (they are sometimes low on them just before Xmas).  And in order to roll them out and cut them, you have to add 1/4 cup of flour to the 16.5 oz. roll of dough.  I just use my KA.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This dough was from a roll of purchased stuff that I didn’t use at Christmas.  I tried every sugar cooky recipe I came across for years and never found something that held its shape or tasted much better than this stuff.  I can’t count the number of times that folks recommended a recipe promising that the cookies would bake without losing the sharpness of the edges and they spread into blobs – no matter how thin or thick I rolled them.  So, I don’t even try anymore.  These stay in shape and taste good. 

My niece and I use the same purchased dough every Christmas to make our sugar cookie cutouts. But even that dough can become "blobby". The trick (and maybe this would have helped with all of the recipes you tried and thought failed) is to put the cookie sheet full of cut out cookies into the fridge. By chilling the dough, they tend to keep their shapes better when baking them off. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My niece and I use the same purchased dough every Christmas to make our sugar cookie cutouts. But even that dough can become "blobby". The trick (and maybe this would have helped with all of the recipes you tried and thought failed) is to put the cookie sheet full of cut out cookies into the fridge. By chilling the dough, they tend to keep their shapes better when baking them off. 

Freezer for me. Not long.  The kids used to sell frozen cookie dough as a school fundraiser. Frozen in bake ready blobs in a pail. Not for the cookie cutter stuff but in general the idea of from frozen. Smart & Final used to sell pails as well. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kayb said:

That looks marvelous. Would not have thought of peppercorns with orange. Black ones are excellent with strawberry, though.

It works very well, in moderation, of course. They bring a nice floral aspect to it that we really like.

Edited by Objective Foodie (log)
  • Like 1

i took a break shoveling today's ridiculo snowfall and while i was inside the neighbour came over with his snowblower and did all the rest of my driveway. i definitely felt some relief. i took over some cinnamon rolls and caramels as a thank you. he's like "you didn't have to do this!" well yeah. that's the point, friend! this is the first time i've incorporated a tangzhong, so it'll be interesting to see how/whether they stay soft over the next few days.

A8E08CCD-BC9F-4AA1-AACA-8DA9AC480981.thumb.jpeg.0e10c829964ca64a0a2c0421fb58123f.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The library's been closed for a few days due to the snow: today is the first day we've been open since last Saturday. There's still plenty of snow on the ground here, and it's cold by Oklahoma standards, so I made croissants and pain au chocolate for everyone who came in to work today:

150576283_10221231905058640_6655512669055623976_o.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

26 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

The library's been closed for a few days due to the snow: today is the first day we've been open since last Saturday. There's still plenty of snow on the ground here, and it's cold by Oklahoma standards, so I made croissants and pain au chocolate for everyone who came in to work today:

Beautiful!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Is there a job opening for me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, my cake isn't falling, but this morning I made something I rarely do...

DBBE011E-EA20-46F7-AD04-40DB3410F47A.thumb.jpeg.566e0161a20ee5d9326879012d412c64.jpeg

Taking the muffin pan out of the oven, I started to feel my fingers burning, the pan slipped out of my hand, and I dropped the whole thing on the floor. I'm an idiot.

But they still taste good!  Banana blueberry muffins.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Well, my cake isn't falling, but this morning I made something I rarely do...

DBBE011E-EA20-46F7-AD04-40DB3410F47A.thumb.jpeg.566e0161a20ee5d9326879012d412c64.jpeg

Taking the muffin pan out of the oven, I started to feel my fingers burning, the pan slipped out of my hand, and I dropped the whole thing on the floor. I'm an idiot.

But they still taste good!  Banana blueberry muffins.

Banana blueberry SMASH muffins!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Chris Hennes – your croissants are absolutely gorgeous and make me wish I’d devoted some of my recent unlimited free time to trying to learn how to do laminated dough instead of whatever the hell I’ve been doing instead😁! 

I made a couple of loaves of banana bread and sent one out to my in laws with Mr. Kim on Saturday.  And now my husband and I are isolating from each other because no one out there can be bothered to be safe.  Sorry – I walk around seething when he has to go out there for that very reason.  Sometimes it overflows🙄.  Our loaf:

IMG_5116.jpg.d6189d12a7fae02b06545dacec5b4376.jpg

IMG_5117.jpg.6f13769ed06cf46c05c3ccba9d5e04c0.jpg

I used my easiest recipe (one that uses oil rather than butter) and added my candied pecans from Christmas, but I don’t think I’ll bother with those pecans again.  The sugar/cinnamon coating just gets lost in the sweet, cinnamon bread.  I think plain, roasted nuts are fine. 

• Like 8

Still citrus season, so made a citrus cake. Didn't turn out quite how I pictured as I was hoping for more of a colour gradient from the candied citrus slices (used Navel, Cara Cara, and blood orange plus lemons), but their colours got quite dulled after candying. Oh well. With orange buttercream and lemon cream/curd. 

IMG_20210211_185441.thumb.jpg.df629ce635148034d7a0c21bb3937c9c.jpg

IMG_20210211_212114.thumb.jpg.aa233e9fd3d3d166581306ba78e12b56.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2