• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

6 hours ago, Cahoot said:

Made galette des rois again after asking for advice on it here, and after decreasing the amount of filling and adjusting the baking time it turned out better (though I think I still used too much filling - testing what's the upper amount that won't interfere with cooking). However I noticed that it fell in the center where I poked a hole and where all the scoring lines met. Next time I'll try not making that hole and making sure to give it some space when doing the scoring so it doesn't create such an unsightly collapse in the middle. 

test.thumb.jpg.c2db71a838884fe8d192a037abbe9f6d.jpg

If you don't have any holes, you're likely to get a more unsightly eruption somewhere else.

I'd recommend docking it all over with a fork. I'll give you a perfectly even bake, and it'll stop it from puffing up too much too.

• Like 2

@weinoo 

never a big fan of BB.

it usually is soggy and heavy and ' lacking '

yours looks delicious.

I like the addition of raisins and pecans.

bet it would be nice toasted.

then spread w your choice of spread .

cream cheese sounds good  

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I always seem to let bananas over-ripen, so they become this...

IMG_3452.thumb.jpeg.3d1fdf8f19ec73000d57cf751e9ebb7b.jpeg

With raisins and pecans. Really nice when spread with good cream cheese.

We did an inventory of the house freezer yesterday and this reminds me that I need to make some banana bread.  We have 20 overripe bananas and three bags of pecan halves/pieces.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I keep threatening to do a freezer inventory as well.  We have a stand-up freezer and two fridge freezers and except for the bacon, smoked salmon and rice puddings, I don't know which freezer has what.  And I only know for sure where the rice pudding is because I put it there only yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I keep threatening to do a freezer inventory as well.  We have a stand-up freezer and two fridge freezers and except for the bacon, smoked salmon and rice puddings, I don't know which freezer has what.  And I only know for sure where the rice pudding is because I put it there only yesterday.

This doesn't really belong in a 'Daily Sweets' topic, but it follows two posts on freezer inventory.  We have finally come up with a system for the freezer which is working very well.   The foods, cooked or raw, are kept in separate bags   Inexpensive bags are available at all the grocery stores now and we have no duplicates in color and pattern.  They are also easy to pick out of the freezer to get at something else.

Then I have a printed legend tacked to the wall above the freezer.  Yes, it was a bit of work setting it up but it has worked so well.  Each line of the legend is printed in aa different color.  Then the foods are written in as they come and go.  

DSC02314.thumb.JPG.f1dbc4986cc047bdd3d4c4630e16c47d.JPG

I never said it was beautiful...I said it worked.

DSC02316.thumb.JPG.0c69f181031ca6b552bd12da82491938.JPG

Ditto to the last sentence.  And I admit that not all the stuff in the freezer is in bags.  And the kitchen fridge freezer, the garage fridge freezer (Ed's domain) are not organized, but they are much smaller.  And the dog freezer is well organized but the dogs have a less varied diet thank heavens.

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I posted a little while ago looking for help forming a figure-eight danish. I hedged my bets that day and only used half the dough. Well, the danishes worked out great (thanks to everyone's help here), so the other evening I pulled the other half out of the fridge, rolled it out pretty thin, sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar, and made a kind of cinnamon-roll-esque pastry (I was going for a kouign amann sort of thing):

DSC_7720.jpg

Maybe not kouign amann, but spectacularly delicious.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

I posted a little while ago looking for help forming a figure-eight danish. I hedged my bets that day and only used half the dough. Well, the danishes worked out great (thanks to everyone's help here), so the other evening I pulled the other half out of the fridge, rolled it out pretty thin, sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar, and made a kind of cinnamon-roll-esque pastry (I was going for a kouign amann sort of thing):

DSC_7720.jpg

Maybe not kouign amann, but spectacularly delicious.

Those look fantastic.

• Like 1

Lemon meringue tart. I originally planned in just doing a plain lemon tart with a neutral glaze brushed on and a white chocolate drizzle, but since I don't have any neutral glaze nor pectin NH to make it I thought I could substitute with strained apricot preserves. However as soon as I dabbed on the (very orange) preserves I realized it was NOT a good idea 😂. So I decided lemon meringue it is.

IMG_20210201_194032.thumb.jpg.a263be4d0fe13f443515d77021346160.jpg

IMG_20210201_202712.thumb.jpg.8883cafd3968017135bee5ff9d64f8a3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

3 minutes ago, Cahoot said:

Lemon meringue tart.

It has been many years since I have enjoyed one of these but yours looks quite fabulous.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Cahoot said:

Lemon meringue tart. I originally planned in just doing a plain lemon tart with a neutral glaze brushed on and a white chocolate drizzle, but since I don't have any neutral glaze nor pectin NH to make it I thought I could substitute with strained apricot preserves. However as soon as I dabbed on the (very orange) preserves I realized it was NOT a good idea 😂. So I decided lemon meringue it is.

IMG_20210201_194032.thumb.jpg.a263be4d0fe13f443515d77021346160.jpg

1.1 MB · 0 downloads IMG_20210201_202712.thumb.jpg.8883cafd3968017135bee5ff9d64f8a3.jpg

i agree fabulous. although i said well, and then another f word out loud before i said fabulous. the specific word will be left as an exercise to the reader to decipher. 

i do have a wonderful smelling pomelo that's getting soft and should do something with....

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, shain said:

@blue_dolphin Looks tasty, I was never fully sold on the texture of shredded coconut in macaroons. This seems like it will be much more pleasant texture-wise.

This is what I grew up with commercially and my favorites at the famous L.A. Farmers Market bakery were with shredded. Maybe when  hear the flaked or shaved I think not an integrated texture. Will have to try when I can  https://puremodernliving.com/manischewitz-macaroon-coconut-kosher-for-passover-case-of-12-10-oz/?

• Like 2

I was gonna make réligieuses anyway, but planned to do something like mocha. However, I liked the look of @trisme11's réligieuses so much that I decided to do that instead. Some of mine are a bit loopy though and I'm still practicing trying to get completely clean, straight edges for the fondant.

Orange pastry cream, orange marmalade, orange Chantilly.

IMG_20210205_224920.thumb.jpg.e027613dbbf31ea8989f0eed502529ff.jpg

IMG_20210205_225506.thumb.jpg.5fb0b893da81671e98c9572c3ba2f25d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

21 hours ago, Cahoot said:

I was gonna make réligieuses anyway, but planned to do something like mocha. However, I liked the look of @trisme11's réligieuses so much that I decided to do that instead. Some of mine are a bit loopy though and I'm still practicing trying to get completely clean, straight edges for the fondant.

Orange pastry cream, orange marmalade, orange Chantilly.

IMG_20210205_224920.thumb.jpg.e027613dbbf31ea8989f0eed502529ff.jpg

IMG_20210205_225506.thumb.jpg.5fb0b893da81671e98c9572c3ba2f25d.jpg

All the marmalade!!!! I love it

How was the orange flavor?

Edited by trisme11 (log)

After few attempts, it looks like we have managed to make our perfect tart. We were inspired by Conticini's orange tart. The tart has a thin layer of blood orange confiture, blood orange curd and it's covered with an orange gel. Lemon thyme as garnish.

DSC_0005.thumb.jpeg.608a5115d5286ec6e368c5ab2a46a6b6.jpeg

We sprinkled some crushed pink peppercorns to serve. It worked surprisingly well!

DSC_0017.thumb.jpeg.f89622adf8e973eb38a32fecf0054b85.jpeg

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, Objective Foodie said:

After few attempts, it looks like we have managed to make our perfect tart. We were inspired by Conticini's orange tart. The tart has a thin layer of blood orange confiture, blood orange curd and it's covered with an orange gel. Lemon thyme as garnish.

DSC_0005.thumb.jpeg.608a5115d5286ec6e368c5ab2a46a6b6.jpeg

We sprinkled some crushed pink peppercorns to serve. It worked surprisingly well!

DSC_0017.thumb.jpeg.f89622adf8e973eb38a32fecf0054b85.jpeg

That looks marvelous. Would not have thought of peppercorns with orange. Black ones are excellent with strawberry, though.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com