• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

8 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

It's very impressive. Is there no way of protecting it from the juices during baking? I'd have loved to see the pattern in full after baking.

imo the best way to do that would be to just bake it separately on a sheet and set it on top when the fruit was still hot so it's glued on 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimb0 said:

imo the best way to do that would be to just bake it separately on a sheet and set it on top when the fruit was still hot so it's glued on 

Probably a good idea. Maybe freezing it before baking would let it hold a delicate pattern better, too.

It's a bit of a shame when the raw preparation looks perfect and you have so little control over the final product.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

It's very impressive. Is there no way of protecting it from the juices during baking? I'd have loved to see the pattern in full after baking.

I don't think there is, short of using another recipe for the filling. I use Stella Park's method for blueberry/cherry/strawberry-rhubarb and other fruits like those, which is basically 25% sugar to the weight of the (prepared) fruit and 6% tapioca starch (she uses 5.5% but I like a tiny bit more), and it's cooked to 213°F/101°C in the center. Bringing it all the way to a boil in the center means that juices inevitably bubble out and make a mess, so the only way to avoid that is to use another recipe that doesn't require cooking to that high of a temperature. This method admittedly doesn't make the prettiest pies post-bake, but the tradeoff is that you get consistently perfectly-set fillings and I prefer the texture from using tapioca starch over other starches. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cahoot said:

I don't think there is, short of using another recipe for the filling. I use Stella Park's method for blueberry/cherry/strawberry-rhubarb and other fruits like those, which is basically 25% sugar to the weight of the (prepared) fruit and 6% tapioca starch (she uses 5.5% but I like a tiny bit more), and it's cooked to 213°F/101°C in the center. Bringing it all the way to a boil in the center means that juices inevitably bubble out and make a mess, so the only way to avoid that is to use another recipe that doesn't require cooking to that high of a temperature. This method admittedly doesn't make the prettiest pies post-bake, but the tradeoff is that you get consistently perfectly-set fillings and I prefer the texture from using tapioca starch over other starches. 

Would it make much of a difference to the final texture if you brought it to a boil before pouring it into the pastry? I suppose you'd be going more towards a tart than a pie, though...

I made one of @Norm Matthews' pineapple upside down Bundt cakes for Mr. Kim to take out to his dad and stepmom’s:

IMG_4836.jpg.857cbb663e4746efcd95f62a1e44b406.jpg

This one was a little odd.  It was as if the brown sugar-melted butter mixture was too loose – it all seemed to melt away and leave the fruit high and dry😉.  This is what the one I made back in 2017 looked like:

cake.jpg.5ae91bbfe2c36586a0b8cbe91355bfe8.jpg

Much nicer looking, I think.  The directions say to place the brown sugar mixture in between the pineapple slices, but this batch was actually pourable.  Any ideas, @Norm Matthews?

Mr. Kim said that everyone loved it.  I’m going to make another cake for us since it is such a favorite of ours. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Banana muffins, whole wheat+almond flour, aquafaba instead of egg. Really nice texture. Not as dark as the photo.

3F727BC3-9D2B-4FEE-A71E-9A53B6F10DCD.jpeg

Edited by BeeZee
Comment (log)
  • Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, trisme11 said:

IMG_20210124_183637_175.thumb.jpg.479bdf2bc4c719fbcd8e5f1fc623d322.jpg20210124_134458.thumb.jpg.9bf4685c559787da648588743b441f26.jpg

Orange Religieuse - filled with an orange pastry cream and orange marmalade, piped orange ganache montée, candied orange piece. 

I absolutely love its look, so clean! Do you mind sharing your recipe for the orange pastry cream? I've struggled to get a strong orange flavour in pastry cream in the past; do you just have to use a ton of zest?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cahoot said:

I absolutely love its look, so clean! Do you mind sharing your recipe for the orange pastry cream? I've struggled to get a strong orange flavour in pastry cream in the past; do you just have to use a ton of zest?

Thank you. 

I used the pastry cream recipe from crumbs and doilies on YouTube.

I replaced the milk in the recipe with mostly orange juice concentrate. Maybe 40/60. I figured it would work as well as cooking down some orange juice. It added a nice tartness 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trisme11 said:

Thank you. 

I used the pastry cream recipe from crumbs and doilies on YouTube.

I replaced the milk in the recipe with mostly orange juice concentrate. Maybe 40/60. I figured it would work as well as cooking down some orange juice. It added a nice tartness 

Ah that's a great idea. I was using just pure orange juice, but the problem is that the flavour is fairly weak. Reducing it makes perfect sense, especially since I've seen people do that for making orange curd too. Did you reduce the orange juice yourself or use store-bought orange concentrate? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cahoot said:

Ah that's a great idea. I was using just pure orange juice, but the problem is that the flavour is fairly weak. Reducing it makes perfect sense, especially since I've seen people do that for making orange curd too. Did you reduce the orange juice yourself or use store-bought orange concentrate? 

Store bought concentrate works great

• Like 2

@Norm Matthews - re: the pineapple upside down cake - I belong to a group on FB called "Great British Food and Drinks for Expats".  I'm not an expat, but I am an Anglophile!  I posted the cake on that group the other day to ask if it was a common dessert in the UK.  The post just blew up!  I posted it 4 days ago and already have 140 positive responses to it and 87 comments and requests for the recipe - and more coming all the time!  Just wanted to let you know that your cake is a success way beyond here on eG!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, shain said:

Sevian kheer - toasted vermicelli in milk porridge, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, a little cinnamon, orange zest, some cream. Candied ginger, almonds, coconut flakes.

PXL_20201227_190004898.jpg

Now this I could love.  Reminds me of a wonderful vermicelli dessert we had decades ago at an Indian restaurant.  I've tried to make it, but it just isn't the same.  Thanks, Shai.

Perhaps if I could have the recipe, plus the kind of vermicelli you used for it.  Thanks.  I could try it again....

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

Now this I could love.  Reminds me of a wonderful vermicelli dessert we had decades ago at an Indian restaurant.  I've tried to make it, but it just isn't the same.  Thanks, Shai.

Perhaps if I could have the recipe, plus the kind of vermicelli you used for it.  Thanks.  I could try it again....

125g thin wheat noodles, I used capellini pasta

200ml milk

40ml (2 tbsp) cream or coconut cream

3-4 tsp corn/potato starch, mixed with a little water to form a paste

Sugar brown/white or other sweetner to taste

Some salt

Spices to your liking

In this case: 1 tbsp ginger juice, 1/4 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/3 tsp cinnamon, some orange zest

Another good option is cardamom. nutmeg, and a bit of cinnamon

Optional: rose water, or orange blossom water (in this case, I skipped it since there were already many flavors, but usually it's really good in this dish)

Dried fruits and nuts

-

In a low oven (150dC) oven - toast the pasta until copper-like in color.

Cook in water to cover, until almost softened to your liking (a touch past al dante, note that it will continue cooking further). Add water as needed.

Mix in the remaining ingredients.

Bring to a simmer while mixing, until thickened.

Add dried fruits and nuts.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Jessica’s birthday was the 27th and her dessert of choice was Paula Deen’s Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding:

IMG_4906.jpg.e2c90ecba08d302fa65d658c730f4a26.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg.d4cd4943e459250d02065e354ed8cdd3.jpg

It was good, as always, but we agreed that it needed more bananas – maybe an extra layer.  Jessica also suggested trying a Bananas Foster treatment of them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook 

Id love to make something like this some day

in perhaps smaller portions.

a long time ago I did enjoy

I think they were  called

lorna dunes 

looking forward to tying these again

and 

Jessica has fine taste

tue babana's foster

\

w firm babanas

and shoetbread

or pound cakeon the bottom

is to die for etc

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, Kim Shook said:

I made one of @Norm Matthews' pineapple upside down Bundt cakes for Mr. Kim to take out to his dad and stepmom’s:

IMG_4836.jpg.857cbb663e4746efcd95f62a1e44b406.jpg

This one was a little odd.  It was as if the brown sugar-melted butter mixture was too loose – it all seemed to melt away and leave the fruit high and dry😉.  This is what the one I made back in 2017 looked like:

cake.jpg.5ae91bbfe2c36586a0b8cbe91355bfe8.jpg

Much nicer looking, I think.  The directions say to place the brown sugar mixture in between the pineapple slices, but this batch was actually pourable.  Any ideas, @Norm Matthews?

Mr. Kim said that everyone loved it.  I’m going to make another cake for us since it is such a favorite of ours. 

I’m not Norm, but I think maybe the emulsion broke between the butter and sugar, similar to what can happen with toffee-is this possible? I have this issue when the butter is hotter than usual-vigorous whisking usually does the trick, or adding a splash of warm water and whisking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Amymegan said:

I’m not Norm, but I think maybe the emulsion broke between the butter and sugar, similar to what can happen with toffee-is this possible? I have this issue when the butter is hotter than usual-vigorous whisking usually does the trick, or adding a splash of warm water and whisking. 

That sounds like a real possibility.  The butter was just out of the microwave.  I'm making it again soon and I'll try letting the butter cool a bit.  Thanks!!!

• Like 2

Made galette des rois again after asking for advice on it here, and after decreasing the amount of filling and adjusting the baking time it turned out better (though I think I still used too much filling - testing what's the upper amount that won't interfere with cooking). However I noticed that it fell in the center where I poked a hole and where all the scoring lines met. Next time I'll try not making that hole and making sure to give it some space when doing the scoring so it doesn't create such an unsightly collapse in the middle. 

test.thumb.jpg.c2db71a838884fe8d192a037abbe9f6d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

7 minutes ago, Cahoot said:

Made galette des rois again after asking for advice on it here, and after decreasing the amount of filling and adjusting the baking time it turned out better (though I think I still used too much filling - testing what's the upper amount that won't interfere with cooking). However I noticed that it fell in the center where I poked a hole and where all the scoring lines met. Next time I'll try not making that hole and making sure to give it some space when doing the scoring so it doesn't create such an unsightly collapse in the middle. 

I think "unsightly collapse" is just a bit harsh. Looks great. I think there is a teeter totter fulcrum point between taste and looks. I tend to jump on the taste side.

• Like 3