• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

24 minutes ago, shain said:

Rice pepper roll filled with ice cream, caramelized peanuts, cilantro, chili oil (on one sample).

Inspired but the Taiwanese street food dish of thin crepe filled ice cream, caramelizes peanut powder and cilantro; and also by the trend of ice cream with chili oil.

PXL_20201220_150345876.thumb.jpg.ec48751739f3d28ce8c0788b1ae03b3d.jpg

Quite good, rice pepper filled with ice cream is interesting, the stretchy texture, and the crunch of the peanuts is nice. The combination of ice cream with peanuts,  and cilantro i already know that we like (you need really gentle cilantro).

The chili oil I would have skip. It's not bad - the toasted chili, toasted sesame and spices could all work, but it is too savory (from douchi and MSG, I believe). I think that I would have liked toasted-chili ice cream, maybe with other flavors such as the sesame, cinnamon, anise, and even the peppercorn. Which makes me wonder how ice cream topped/flavored with Mexican mole would be like.

I really need to go and live in Shai's home and eat all the amazing things he makes!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

48 minutes ago, heidih said:

I did wonder about the pull of the rice paper.  Napkins handy I imagine. My impression on mole - there are so many different ones - is that it is really a homogenized mellowed out sauce even though it can be hot spicy. I see the chili crisp as more of an enjoyable contrast. Do let us know if you try it. 

Yeah, I would have thought the spicy chili crisp would have really enhanced the dish. I've been on a spicy chili crisp (Laoganma) kick lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I did wonder about the pull of the rice paper.  Napkins handy I imagine. My impression on mole - there are so many different ones - is that it is really a homogenized mellowed out sauce even though it can be hot spicy. I see the chili crisp as more of an enjoyable contrast. Do let us know if you try it. 

After making the first one, I quickly learnt two things - one is that the plate must be frozen, not just chilled. Second is that you need to use half of a paper per roll, so that it ends up a one-biter. So yeah, lots of mess potential otherwise.

Regarding mole, I was thinking of the darker, spiced ones which already have variations that include chocolate or vanilla in a savory profile. I imagine that the reverse would work and that the flavors can be taken into sweet territory.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

@shain, that actually looks pretty darn good. I was at a sushi bar and the sushi chef made us sushi (nori & rice) with some ice cream in it. IIRC, it was gunkan style (like how uni is usually served). It was surprisingly good.

That's genius! I love tamago sushi, and it (in some versions) quite sweet, and I love all kinds of rice desserts. I'll definitely give this a go. Maybe swirl the ice cream with soy sauce flavored caramel.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

that’s super fun. might be interesting to try the rice paper ice cream idea in conjunction with one of the stretchy ice creams like booza. 

my so’s favourite quality street chocolate is the green triangle. so for my take i made something of a gianduja with a few larger hazelnut pieces i ground. i cleaned these up, cut them in half, and later hand dipped them in a dark chocolate (gave most of them to the neighbours). 

my hand dipping needs some serious work, but cold kitchen, small bowl, thick chocolate, well, no surprises they ended up a little lumpy. 

FCA5885B-9369-4A4D-A9A6-66D7B1D904BB.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

IMG_3350.thumb.jpeg.861f7ec489ab90def68514bfad0255a6.jpeg

Pecan chocolate chip cookies. Not perfectly round cause they're (I guess) drop cookies?

So what's the story - the recipe made 4 dozen +. I don't want to eat 2 dozen of them over the next couple of days.  Do they freeze well?

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, weinoo said:

Pecan chocolate chip cookies. Not perfectly round cause they're (I guess) drop cookies?

So what's the story - the recipe made 4 dozen +. I don't want to eat 2 dozen of them over the next couple of days.  Do they freeze well?

Oh yes. I always freeze such cookies just in a zip lock.  Quality good even after many weeks. Lets you keep a variety on hand so never bored. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I hear that chocolate chip cookies are good frozen, too.

Edited by jmacnaughtan
syntax (log)
  • Like 3

@weinoo 

PCCC's  are about as good as it gets.

hope they have plenty of butter flavo(u)r

and brown sugar.yours look perfect.

the individual contours of each suggest

" Artisan "

they do freeze , but Id not let them go too long.

chop them up and add them to your A.M. mumsli .

that will really start your day.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

I was going to suggest an ice cream sandwich, vanilla (or your favorite ice cream flavor) between two cookies. 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Does anyone warm their CC cookies up before eating them? I have fond memories of Smarties cookies from a café at university, where they'd either be warm out the oven or reheated so the chocolate oozed.

I do so quite often. I love a warm CCC with milk. But not until the chocolate oozes, just until it's warm.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

12 hours ago, Toliver said:

I was going to suggest an ice cream sandwich, vanilla (or your favorite ice cream flavor) between two cookies. 

We talked about this while eating the first couple of them. Vanilla, of course, being my fave.

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

PCCC's  are about as good as it gets.

hope they have plenty of butter flavo(u)r

and brown sugar.yours look perfect.

the individual contours of each suggest

" Artisan "

they do freeze , but Id not let them go too long.

While I won't go as far as eating for breakfast - we prefer savory breakfast mostly - I don't mind having one after breakfast, with my second or third cup of coffee.

And yes, brown sugar and sugar in equal proportions, good butter, etc.  Recipe right on the back of the bag of the Ghiradelli chocolate chips! (and for those who worry, didn't even burn them!)

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, jimb0 said:

most of ours get eaten warm because i freeze the dough in cookie-sized portions and we bake them from frozen when cookie mood strikes. 

So not in a log, but actually in like tablespoon sized dollops they are frozen?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Just now, weinoo said:

I freeze dough all the time and just bake them when needed. I scoop the dough, put the dough blobs on a sheet pan, roll them into balls, freeze them on the sheet pan and when frozen bag them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

pretty much. i'm lazier than @ElsieD so i just cut it into blocks and freeze it. probably on the order of a rounded large flatware tablespoon (vs an actual measuring spoon).

Edited by jimb0 (log)

Just now, Cahoot said:

I've had some frozen cherries lying around in my freezer for a while so wanted to use them up.

IMG_20210119_160648.thumb.jpg.615b4903aa2351bc3d75166003d54d4b.jpgIMG_20210119_205310.thumb.jpg.0a64e5bf99776efe712699dc8aae584e.jpg 

That looks like a complicated design, I wish I had the patience for.

7 hours ago, jimb0 said:

that looks great, @Cahoot! did you braid it manually or use a mould? 

Braided it manually. Won't lie, just the braiding took a few hours haha. I originally actually just planned to do a lattice, but after I saw how many braids I'd prepared I figured I had enough to go for this design instead. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cahoot said:

Braided it manually. Won't lie, just the braiding took a few hours haha. I originally actually just planned to do a lattice, but after I saw how many braids I'd prepared I figured I had enough to go for this design instead. 

It's very impressive. Is there no way of protecting it from the juices during baking? I'd have loved to see the pattern in full after baking.