• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I was just going to make my simple olive oil orange cake but my citrus was too sour so I mashed it up with just fragrant zest, lots of warm spices, 1/2 dark brown sugar, coconut milk as the liquid, and a touch of cocoa and Bonne Maman cherry preserve. Smelled wonderful baking and tastes as good as it smelled. Happy. Just brown so no image. Will repeat for gifting in New Year.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, shain said:

@heidih sounds great. Is the result spices and molasses forward, or more of an orange-coconut with some spices? Or somewhere in between? 

Honestly I think it is a very balanced happy marriage. Nobody pushing or shoving to be noticed. :)  The coconut was minimal so I do not detect it really. These cakes do better with a bit of age. I just cut another small piece as my black tea was lonely. I did use some cracked clack pepper as well. Again - nobody stands out as "the flavor". Maybe an unconscious metaphor for 2021 hopes of congeniality. 

• Delicious 1

I’ve posted most of these on the Christmas thread, but thought I’d put them here, too.  They will be nothing new to anyone who has been here for more than a year.  They are the things that I always make.  These are the goodies that I made for the holidays this year – I cut back a little bit, but not much!

Peanut butter cookies: 

IMG_4311.thumb.jpg.e17aa4274bb4e7d163dea7b67f2abd31.jpg

Lemon Chess Tarts

IMG_4345.jpg.bd24f90fc0de3db97f902b1bd557760b.jpg

A tray of cookies:

IMG_4395.thumb.jpg.2fd8b9392037f37417ec5eb7b993e7ee.jpg

I did not make these, we bought them from a friend of Jessica’s who is going through some rough financial times.  They were actually delicious!  Especially the thumbprints, which I never make. 

Sugar cookies:

IMG_4411.thumb.jpg.636fb0e5445b709bcc76112e1f9ee1f1.jpg

Toffee: 

IMG_4299.jpg.b08987c73bc8690410ba32be86eff4e9.jpg

Oatmeal cookies: 

IMG_4303.jpg.e54b9cd7fa62a5ae9b58b75bf51137f8.jpg

These were not for us but were made to put in the lunches that our church makes every month for 3 homeless shelters. 

Peanut brittle:

IMG_4284.thumb.jpg.fb4c7ec414de9ecb80123c8e24731e4e.jpg

Sponge Candy: 

IMG_4286.thumb.jpg.d04501b7bc54526a517abf12093ad666.jpg

Pretzel Pecan Turtles:

IMG_4291.jpg.591b9ccc15f66762067db10c794916bf.jpg

What we call “Happy Accident Candy” – all of the crumbs and shards of the sponge candy go into melted (as tempered as I can get it): 

IMG_4304.jpg.adfc0ca9c9a45dffc1134c2adc450d2c.jpg

Cinnamon pecans: 

IMG_4274.jpg.0573f28fb6e50944441426ddf59b9b32.jpg

• Like 14

it's a friend's birthday today, and they're alone in lockdown so i dropped off a box of sweets: salted caramels, bourbon balls, and a butter cake (filled with a 1.5:1 chocolate butter ganache, frosted with salted coffee buttercream, coated with a white chocolate milk crumb).

IMG_0417.thumb.jpg.871877b46e9abb6072bf48aa6b75ec60.jpg

• Like 18

Recently I bought a new NordicWare cake pan. Baked a cake today using the included recipe. Very tasty almond cake!

I was concerned that the cake might not come out of the pan nicely but I softened butter, brushed it in with a silicone brush, and coated the butter with flour. It came out of the pan perfectly!

523041530_IMG_6524-snowflakepan.jpg.bb9792dc630939160f32ddf02ebdd856.jpg

983754303_IMG_6528-snowflakecake.jpg.e8577c65697306f26a848622c237a746.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, jimb0 said:

standard choux puffs

Very nice! It's been so long since I've done those. Ridiculously long... like, I can't even remember exactly when the last time was. Definitely not in the last 4 or 5 years at least. That feels wrong so I'm hoping you just inspired me to fix that situation sometime soon. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Very nice! It's been so long since I've done those. Ridiculously long... like, I can't even remember exactly when the last time was. Definitely not in the last 4 or 5 years at least. That feels wrong so I'm hoping you just inspired me to fix that situation sometime soon. :D

nice! i've made a couple of hundred in the past couple weeks since i put them in the little treat bags i sent around to the neighbours. i ran out of creme pat on the first batch and filled the leftovers with a 1:1 butter ganache; it worked really well.

i've been having a heck of a time with choux lately and discovered in the process just how *terrible* my oven is at temperature regulation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RWood said:

Haven't made banana pudding in years. My grandmother always made it with meringue, which neither my mother nor I like. So, whipped cream for us. 

One of my favorite desserts... and I'm onboard with whipped cream > meringue n this situation. 😁

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, kayb said:

I make mine with meringue because that's the way Mama did it. Then I take the meringue off my portion and feed it to the dog.

I'm not at all opposed to the version that's baked with meringue on top, I just like the not baked, sans meringue, with whipped cream version better. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm not at all opposed to the version that's baked with meringue on top, I just like the not baked, sans meringue, with whipped cream version better. 

mostly same. i would eat the whole thing, probably, if someone served it to me baked with meringue (though imo that's basically a banana cream pie?) but i would literally never make it at home because i love whipped cream to an inappropriate degree

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, jimb0 said:

mostly same. i would eat the whole thing, probably, if someone served it to me baked with meringue (though imo that's basically a banana cream pie?) but i would literally never make it at home because i love whipped cream to an inappropriate degree

Yes, my mother has the same problem. That's why I let her put her obscene amount on for herself 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2021 at 6:13 AM, kayb said:

I make mine with meringue because that's the way Mama did it. Then I take the meringue off my portion and feed it to the dog.

I do the same, but with the bananas. I'm good with meringue or whipped cream. Just keep the bananas out of it.

if you leave something ion an oven

it will take longer for the oven to ' heat up to temp'

and longer to cool down.  based on th thermal mass

you added.

the cookie sheet in contact w the thermal mass

would heat up faster via conduction ( contact heat transfer )

than air conduction , as the steel has a greater thermal mass than air

how you adjust baking times for cookies 

inconyact w the steel is another matter.

Id think the bottoms of the cookies would bake faster than in ' air '