• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

So, I wanted to try a Swiss meringue version for macarons. I didn't fold long enough, but I really liked the texture. 

These are filled with pistachio buttercream. To much black color though, you get a scary mouth. But, my mom said it's ok for Halloween 👻

215DC51C-A6CC-4F3F-9D0D-38FE32B679F6.jpeg

56C8F20D-3009-4528-8D23-23FF992B4CBF.jpeg

Edited by RWood
Typo (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@RWood, your macarons look great. Nice amount of pistachio filling, too. How is the Swiss meringue texture different?

They have a nicer chew to them. It could be the recipe, or that it has a little egg white powder in it, the method, who knows. I still have experimenting to do.

I've never been a fan of the Italian method. They always seem so hard to me. The last batch I made of Italian never softened up even after two days in the fridge.  

This batch need a little more folding because the batter was still tight and didn't spread as much as it should.

• Thanks 1

@RWood – your macaron are fantastic.  I actually prefer the bottom ones – the darker ones are really dramatic. 

@shain – your ice cream is lovely and it sounds like a wonderful mix! 

Jessica requested a very dowdy dessert with her dinner Sunday night – Paula Deen’s “Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding”:

IMG_4024.jpg.d98e64bbf124bc6c0dc11c289fa701ff.jpg

Could only find Christmas Chessmen.  It is dowdy and a bit ersatz with instant pudding and Cool Whip, but there’s no doubt it is good.  It is certainly better than any I’ve had made with Vanilla Wafers – those cookies make this! 

Serving:

IMG_4025.jpg.a7d722121069b7ac0bae581761451814.jpg

Needed more bananas.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica requested a very dowdy dessert with her dinner Sunday night – Paula Deen’s “Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding”:

IMG_4024.jpg.d98e64bbf124bc6c0dc11c289fa701ff.jpg

Could only find Christmas Chessmen.  It is dowdy and a bit ersatz with instant pudding and Cool Whip, but there’s no doubt it is good.  It is certainly better than any I’ve had made with Vanilla Wafers – those cookies make this! 

Serving:

IMG_4025.jpg.a7d722121069b7ac0bae581761451814.jpg

Needed more bananas.

Dowdy my Aunt Fanny!

I love that dessert. Sure it's from Paula Deen who was always one step up the cooking ladder from a Sandra Lee recipe. I am drooling over your serving picture.:D

And I was quite impressed with the holiday Chessmen. Didn't know they made them in a Christmas theme.

My problem with the dessert was the bananas in the leftovers turning black overnight. Fruit Fresh took care of that problem.

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Gateau de semoule cross with tarte tatin.

Gateau de semoule is a French custard cake made of milk and semolina, flavored with vanilla, and in this case also nutmeg. It is toothsome, milky slightly eggy. Quite akin to a cautious.

Baked on top of caramelized apples. Served warm, with ice cream and walnuts, and a drizzle of cognac.

I forgot to grease the pan... It released OK but some apples had to be pushed back into place :)

PXL_20201102_194942204.thumb.jpg.707bee9c4b723aea4569b85173addb6c.jpg

PXL_20201102_195507500.thumb.jpg.9ddb0229ed4dd4d9f2891ad23046c9a3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

534989716_BananaBread10-09.thumb.jpeg.a6a05d3d2dc3beea9156bacc66d2028d.jpeg

The King Arthur (original book version) banana bread, as opposed to my standard from Nick Malgieri's How to Bake (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) banana bread.

1329930490_Bananabreadcut10-09.thumb.jpeg.9de357b414ee96722ccced45a3ed28dd.jpeg

CSO baked, with addition of walnuts and a few raisins.

The King Arthur bread is a much bigger, moister loaf (has yogurt in it, and oil as opposed to butter) - I can't say I like it more.

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So, so long I didn’t bake a tart. This is tarte Bourdaloue from Felder, recipe courtesy of AAA here

I didn’t have pistachio paste and used an almond and cocoa butter I had in the house and instead of sprinkling it with pistachios or almonds, I used some Wildway granola, dark chocolate and salt. It has a pear and amandine filling. 

5BC07013-057D-4EC4-B203-CD217558743E.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Franci said:

So, so long I didn’t bake a tart. This is tarte Bourdaloue from Felder, recipe courtesy of AAA here

I didn’t have pistachio paste and used an almond and cocoa butter I had in the house and instead of sprinkling it with pistachios or almonds, I used some Wildway granola, dark chocolate and salt. It has a pear and amandine filling. 

5BC07013-057D-4EC4-B203-CD217558743E.jpeg

Wow. And I thought my mom was cool because she used the "good" cake mix instead of the cheap store brand.

• Haha 6

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Zapekanka. A cheese cake of Russian origin made of tvorog (farmers cheese) and sour cream with semolina. Flavored with vanilla and orange zest, along with various inclusions - I added brandy soaked raisins, prunes, candied orange peel, Amarena cherries, candied blueberries and dark chocolate. I like it best when served slightly warm.

PXL_20201107_205746995.jpg

PXL_20201107_211423387.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:00 PM, shain said:

Zapekanka. A cheese cake of Russian origin made of tvorog (farmers cheese) and sour cream with semolina. Flavored with vanilla and orange zest, along with various inclusions - I added brandy soaked raisins, prunes, candied orange peel, Amarena cherries, candied blueberries and dark chocolate. I like it best when served slightly warm.

Looks great! I've had mixed results with tvorog in desserts - does it stay crumbly in your zapekanka, or does it mix into the filling?

35 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Looks great! I've had mixed results with tvorog in desserts - does it stay crumbly in your zapekanka, or does it mix into the filling?

Not sure that I understand. It's a cheesecake, not a filled one. As such, it is homogeneous. When I use it as a filling it is often mixed with eggs/yolks and sometimes sour cream, this usually prevents crumbling, but it does stays quite solid - that's the charm of this type of cheese.

~ Shai N.

43 minutes ago, shain said:

Not sure that I understand. It's a cheesecake, not a filled one. As such, it is homogeneous. When I use it as a filling it is often mixed with eggs/yolks and sometimes sour cream, this usually prevents crumbling, but it does stays quite solid - that's the charm of this type of cheese.

I hadn't looked properly - I thought there was a base.

The most successful use I've seen with this cheese is the Café Pouchkine tvorog éclair. I think it's the only time I've had it crumbly and enjoyable.

2 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I hadn't looked properly - I thought there was a base.

The most successful use I've seen with this cheese is the Café Pouchkine tvorog éclair. I think it's the only time I've had it crumbly and enjoyable.

I never had it in a preparation I'd call crumbly, other than when raw. Try it in blintzes, mixed well (even blended) with yolks and sour cream, then pan fried. It should be smooth but firm once cooked.

Edited by shain (log)

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

I never had it in a preparation I'd call crumbly, other than raw. Try it in blintzes, mixed well (even blended) with yolks and sour cream, than pan fried. It should be smooth but firm once cooked.

I'll give that a go. Thanks for the idea

• Like 1

I recently bought a cookbook for a fundraiser and one of the recipes I want to make is for raspberry scones.  It is a pretty standard recipe, calling for 3 1/2 cups of flour.  It is from what I and many others consider to be one of the best bakeries in town.  The amount of one of the ingredients seems wrong to me. It calls for 1/4 CUP of baking powder.  Can this possibly be right?  I have never made nor seen a recipe for scones calling for this much baking powder.  I have sent them an e-mail asking about this but I haven't heard anything back..

• Confused 1

Made a few tarts recently, just some more basic, classic recipes.

Apple tart

IMG_20201029_230527.thumb.jpg.00119580393d77cc02dd51368e4e7beb.jpg

Tarte Bourdaloue

IMG_20201002_214710.thumb.jpg.513fec2be2194da754854dbceb0e9766.jpg

Tarte normande

IMG_20201117_210100.thumb.jpg.b3c4f72d7990f796454ba9a5e1b36d5d.jpg

Pastéis de nataIMG_20201104_212543.thumb.jpg.6939eeccd8d3963ac2a21f7220edaa41.jpg

On a related note: I've been looking into buying tart rings since I prefer the look of the clean, straight edges over the fluted edges. I have the option of buying tart rings with rolled edges, or just regular cake rings of the same height (2cm). Is there an advantage in using one over the other?

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

On 11/23/2020 at 4:19 AM, Cahoot said:

Made a few tarts recently, just some more basic, classic recipes.

Apple tart

IMG_20201029_230527.thumb.jpg.00119580393d77cc02dd51368e4e7beb.jpg

Tarte Bourdaloue

IMG_20201002_214710.thumb.jpg.513fec2be2194da754854dbceb0e9766.jpg

Tarte normande

IMG_20201117_210100.thumb.jpg.b3c4f72d7990f796454ba9a5e1b36d5d.jpg

Pastéis de nataIMG_20201104_212543.thumb.jpg.6939eeccd8d3963ac2a21f7220edaa41.jpg

On a related note: I've been looking into buying tart rings since I prefer the look of the clean, straight edges over the fluted edges. I have the option of buying tart rings with rolled edges, or just regular cake rings of the same height (2cm). Is there an advantage in using one over the other?

The ones with the rolled edges tend to be stronger and less likely to deform if you drop them or step on them.

ETA: Great tarts, by the way. I love a classic Bourdaloue.

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, ElsieD said:

I recently bought a cookbook for a fundraiser and one of the recipes I want to make is for raspberry scones.  It is a pretty standard recipe, calling for 3 1/2 cups of flour.  It is from what I and many others consider to be one of the best bakeries in town.  The amount of one of the ingredients seems wrong to me. It calls for 1/4 CUP of baking powder.  Can this possibly be right?  I have never made nor seen a recipe for scones calling for this much baking powder.  I have sent them an e-mail asking about this but I haven't heard anything back..

It sounds unlikely to me, but I'm fuzzy on baking ratios. I'm bumping this up in hopes that someone with more insight will jump in. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It sounds unlikely to me, but I'm fuzzy on baking ratios. I'm bumping this up in hopes that someone with more insight will jump in. 

I think this was a "good answer" from an exerienced baker https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155077-your-daily-sweets-what-are-you-making-and-baking-2017-–/?do=findComment&comment=2273782

• Like 1