• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Had a craving for the type of doughnuts I'd normally only be able to buy at a fairground stall (after watching them fry to perfection in the oil and travel along a little conveyer to dump them in the sugar). No fairs this year means I've now discovered how dangerously quick and easy these are to recreate!

IMG_20201010_173059560.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, shain said:

apple kugel. With walnuts, wine soaked raisins, cinnamon, dark brown sugar. Brushed with butter and baked crisp.

Recipe here:

Shai, you are a genius baker.  If only you were nearer.....I'd be dropping into your kitchen regularly.  9_9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Bien Cuit's salted chocolate buckwheat cookies.  After reading the comments on two websites that share the recipe, it was clear it doesn't work as written, so I changed the recipe a bit based on what I've learned over the past couple years reading this forum (woohoo, you all rock!!!).  It still needs a little more tweaking, but overall, very interesting "first" for me having buckwheat sweet instead of savory, as well as creaming coconut oil with sugar (say wat?!) :)

bien cuit buckwheat cookies.jpg

• Like 5

Sadly I have not tried them out as I only bake for holiday gifting but these buckwheat chocolate chippers have remained on my mind  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/buckwheat-chocolate-chip-cookies-cookie-recipe-lappart-david-lebovitz/ Anyone made them? I may slide thm in to replace my regular ones in the hoiday round-up.

• Like 1

This weekend I made my largest batch of chocolate so far. 2500 grams. A mix of nibs I had left over from other batches, but the predominant is from Fiji. A 56% milk chocolate which I tweaked my previous recipe on to make it a bit darker. The idea is to use it for shells for bonbons, but man it tastes pretty good on it’s own. I decided to practice decorating the bars for the first time. I’ve not done this before, so I piped some white chocolate I made last weekend into a couple of the molds, and this is the result. Definitely a learning experience because the other mold didn’t turn out so well. I think mainly because I jumped the gun unmolding it. Next step, using color and the airbrush.

0D988E9C-1D11-48D8-8591-AF8027217374.jpeg

• Like 10

An Ooey-Gooey version of Mary Berry's Banoffee Pie.  Bananas courtesy of our garden.  I used a chocolate cookie base in place of her digestive biscuit base.  Mi esposo se gusta chocolate; bananas, meh.

bananas.jpg

banoffee1.png

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

frankly, I distrust the recipe, the cake was pretty near one of those flourless cakes in texture, and I don't think that was intentional...

For me, that'd be a bonus. Anything that makes a cake more dense (in a good way, not bricks) and moist is a plus in my cake-eating world. :D Nice work with the video!

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:51 PM, AAQuesada said:

Found a BA video making this cookie at the shop. I don't know if thats helpful or if you've seen it.

Buckwheat Chocolate chip recipe Video link

I watched this video at least a dozen times before baking the cookies.  The comments at both BA and food52 led me to believe the recipe was incomplete, and watching the video helped confirm that.  My tweaks, for the most part, worked.  The biggest take-away, get the right kind of buckwheat flour.  The grocery store stuff like bob's red mill, uses whole grain including the hull.  So one needs to use either japanese soba-ko, or grind your own from hulled seed (which is what I do since pre-covid I ended up with 25lbs of buckwheat groats, ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies).  The other change was adjusting the amount of flour, sugar, and butter/fat/oil, due to the volume measurements.

I've had nothing but problems working with buckwheat (I have cold mountain Soba ko & BRM buckwheat myself) wish I could help but I'm going to stick with my rye chocolate chip cookies lol

really looks easy in the video!

These are from Fanny Zannoti. They really are excellent -i'll often add a bit of rye whiskey to it. I was going to link to the recipe as well but i don't see it on her current site.

A LOT OF RYE AND A LITTLE MILK CHOCOLATE KIND OF COOKIES

makes 24

100g butter

120g light brown sugar

40g caster sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract/paste

one egg

90g rye flour

90g plain flour

120g milk chocolate, chopped into chunks

30g rye flakes

one tsp flaky seasalt, crushed

1/2 tsp baking powder

In a large heatproof bowl, melt the butter. Add the sugars and vanilla and mix well. When it’s cooled down a bit, whisk in the egg.

In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and add them to the butter mixture. Stir until it forms a dough.

Scrape it onto a large piece of clingfilm and pat into a 2cm thick rectangle. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least an hour or up to 3 days.

Cut into 24 squares, roughly the same size. Now you can either bake the cookies straight away or freeze the dough for later use. In that case, simply let it thaw in the fridge for a couple of hours before proceeding to the rest.

Roll the little squares of dough into balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, making sure to space them quite a bit, around 8cm apart.

Bake at 170°C for 10-12 minutes, until the edges start to brown. Allow to cool down slightly.

4 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I've had nothing but problems working with buckwheat (I have cold mountain Soba ko & BRM buckwheat myself) wish I could help but I'm going to stick with my rye chocolate chip cookies lol

really looks easy in the video!

The rye cookies sound yummy. One reason they may be successful is that they are not 100 percent rye; they use an equal amount of AP flour. I'm very fond of buckwheat flavor, but baking with only buckwheat and no AP flour is a major challenge. One of the most touted recipes for an all-buckwheat cookie comes from Tartine Bakery. Note that Elizabeth, the baker, is allergic to gluten and has worked hard in the last few years to bake gluten-free.

I like a percentage of buckwheat in some cakes and pancakes, but I've never had an all-buckwheat bread or pastry that I really thought was great. I like Soba noodles a lot, but most of them, if you read the ingredients, are not 100 percent buckwheat; those folks who avoid wheat altogether already know that.  If there is a big selection of soba you will probably find one or two that are only buckwheat. My experience trying them once is that the texture really suffers.

A couple things for Halloween. Decorated Halloween cookies, and the Corpse Bride. I wanted to make her for a few years, so I finally got around to it. I don't make many figures, so I can see things I would like to do better on, but I think she's cute for a first attempt. 

F321B2CE-D3CF-4CEF-8FFF-74EF3FEBA17D.jpeg

4D283099-1724-45EB-B900-DAEE63419664.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, RWood said:

A couple things for Halloween. Decorated Halloween cookies, and the Corpse Bride. I wanted to make her for a few years, so I finally got around to it. I don't make many figures, so I can see things I would like to do better on, but I think she's cute for a first attempt. 

They are wonderful.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RWood said:

I'm just stunned at the artistry here.  Bravo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Ricotta and sour cream cheesecake, flavored with rose water, vanilla, lemon zest a hint of nutmeg. Bottom is syrup soaked almond basbousa. Topped with wild blackberry(? - it's Rubus Sanguineus fruits), almonds and basil.

PXL_20201022_160735384.jpg

PXL_20201022_161559744.jpgPXL_20201022_160821660.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.