• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I made the Joy of Cooking Sour Cream Apple Cake Souffle Cockaigne

Gesundheit?  That is one long name for a dessert.

How did you peel the almonds?  I've only tried once when I made some marzipan, I remember it was even more difficult than hazelnuts. Those I blanch about a pound with some baking soda then take about 20 minutes to "pop" individual nuts.  Very tedious.

25 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

How did you peel the almonds?  I've only tried once when I made some marzipan, I remember it was even more difficult than hazelnuts. Those I blanch about a pound with some baking soda then take about 20 minutes to "pop" individual nuts.  Very tedious.

It is a long name.  Mr. Kim was calling it "Le Cockaigne", but I just said apple souffle!  😁

Peeling the almonds was a bit tedious, but incredibly easy.  You just cover them with boiling water for one minute, then rinse in cold water to cool them off.  Then all you do is "pinch" them and they pop right out (sometimes across the kitchen!).  I got to a point where I would kind of twirl each individual almond between my fingers and thumb and they would just slip right out.  I wouldn't want to do it as a job, but I won't avoid recipes that call for them anymore. 🙂

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

It is like peeling shrimp or picking crab - meditative process or group project. Hazelnuts - toast and massage in tea towel.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

It is like peeling shrimp or picking crab - meditative process or group project. Hazelnuts - toast and massage in tea towel.

That doesn't work as well for me as blanching in baking-soda water, you get much much cleaner results, although, it takes forever.  I know ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference, but I like all the skin removed.  All the skin off.  Must remove every last bit.  All off.  *crazy eyes*

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

That doesn't work as well for me as blanching in baking-soda water, you get much much cleaner results, although, it takes forever.  I know ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference, but I like all the skin removed.  All the skin off.  Must remove every last bit.  All off.  *crazy eyes*

Oh we all have preferences and I respect that There are some here who insist on peeling tomatoes - hello @Shelby 

• Haha 2

A new Huckleberry recipe I created for the season of 2020, Wild Huckleberry Bundt Cake with Candied Lemon Peel.  We're having a good huckleberry season in the Northwest, (I'm in Eastern WA and close to North Idaho).  June was mild and wet, then three weeks ago summer arrived.  The best berries each year are at the higher elevations and will keep ripening through the end of this month.  

IMG_1882.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 8/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, Kim Shook said:

This is the Surrey House Peanut and Raisin Pie.

Looks a bit above my raisin tolerance level but I googled up the recipe anyway. Basically the pecan pie I'm used to with peanuts and raisins replacing the pecans. I'm still not tempted by the raisins but I could see me making my next pecan pie with peanuts instead. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

13 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Looks a bit above my raisin tolerance level but I googled up the recipe anyway. Basically the pecan pie I'm used to with peanuts and raisins replacing the pecans. I'm still not tempted by the raisins but I could see me making my next pecan pie with peanuts instead. :D

The VA Diner peanut pie is just exactly that.  And it is incredibly good.  Just make sure to use REAL VA peanuts.  They are the absolute best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

You might want to look at Smitten Kitchen's Salted Peanut Tart. No raisins within a thousand miles.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/02/salted-peanut-tart/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I hesitate to post this here.  All I did was bake biscuits from frozen, macerate some berries, and activate some aerosol coconut whipped cream:

IMG_3109.thumb.jpg.29276ca42973c505f75c280e49d25ed4.jpg

It was really good, though.

Why hesitate? It looks good. You said it was good... that's the most important box checked. You baked biscuits, macerated berries and whipped cream in a can is just whipped cream made easier. You put in a lot more effort than most of the desserts I eat at home which usually involve scooping some commercial ice cream in a bowl and shoving it in my mouth. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I made this: Moelleux of Summer Fruits currently up on David Leibovitz's website. It is described as a "soft" cake. Anyway it is delicious and very easy. I used plums. I'm sure peaches or nectarines would be great as well. I made two alterations: I switched the ratio of AP flour to almond flour. I reduced the sugar to a scant cup. I would caution against using fruit that is super ripe. My plums were just the early side of ripe, and that was excellent. I am guilty of cutting back on the sugar for much of my baking, especially fruit cakes or pies. I like tart. It was great the day of and it was great for breakfast. What's left will be gone by tonight. Oh, and the sides get seductively crispy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@pastrygirl – I really like the sound of strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream.  Would you share the recipe?

Mr. Kim’s birthday was Friday.  His mom and our daughter, Jessica, came over for dessert (he decided that he’d rather have his birthday dinner on Saturday).  He picked Frosted Daquiri Pie:

IMG_3140.jpg.5f682a3aec9c2f3d8a39c1f197b854c7.jpg

Slice:

IMG_3148.jpg.febcea59d8eb95418afb57d2ee063b6e.jpg

He loves this pie.  I’ve been eating it since high school.  One of my mother’s friends gave her the recipe and it was a common “company” dessert.  Honestly, it’s not my favorite.  I’m just not crazy about gelatin-based “creamy pies” – I prefer them to be heavy cream- or cream cheese-based. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Made @caroled's chocolate pie tonight.  She says it is @racheld's favorite and I completely understand:

IMG_3207.jpg.09a2027bdf9f86beb032101a84edc0ce.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg.43a0a66dd0596bfda081e645ee8fe347.jpg

Yes, there should be a scoop of good vanilla ice cream on top of that slice.  According to my freezer inventory, we had some.  Turned out to be not only freezer burnt, but SUGAR FREE😖.  I added good ice cream to my shopping list and tossed that in the garbage.  

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

with deep respect , i.e. you made it

looks like Brownies w a Crust !

not a bad idea id say.

I looks and tastes like that.  But the texture is a little lighter than that would be.  There is almost a fluffiness when you actually take a bite.  So good and crazy easy.