• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

That looks delicious.  If only we could get good peaches here........

We have delicious peaches, but the wait is really hard for local peaches. We have to wait until the end of August and into September.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

That looks delicious.  If only we could get good peaches here........

Exactly what I was thinking. There's no such thing as a local peach where I live and we rarely get good non-local peaches. In fact, I'd say we never get good non-local peaches. We just, on rare occasion, get peaches that are a little better than the usual peaches we get. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I wish I could bring all y'all down here. It's high peach season. I get eight softball sized ones in a bag at the Farmers Market for $5, and they're marvelous. Grown 25 miles from me.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I got some local Niagara peaches at the farmers market on Saturday - the smell is wonderful. They are fuzzier that hubby likes though. Niagara Penninsula doesn't breed the hybrids.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, kayb said:

I wish I could bring all y'all down here. It's high peach season. I get eight softball sized ones in a bag at the Farmers Market for $5, and they're marvelous. Grown 25 miles from me.

I just had a little cry.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I mentioned up-topic that I am making a video of Bryan Ford's Choco Pan de Coco for work. In the process I noticed that the photo of the bread in the book is much lighter in color than mine, so I wrote to Ford, who said the book's got a typo in it. The book calls for double the amount of cocoa powder than it should! Oops. Of course, I had already filmed the video at that point. So at any rate, if you make this, make sure you only use 25g of cocoa powder! Here's the finished video in English:

The Spanish version is here, if that's your preference!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

23 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I mentioned up-topic that I am making a video of Bryan Ford's Choco Pan de Coco for work. In the process I noticed that the photo of the bread in the book is much lighter in color than mine, so I wrote to Ford, who said the book's got a typo in it. The book calls for double the amount of cocoa powder than it should! Oops. Of course, I had already ilmed the video at that point. So at any rate, if you make this, make sure you only use 25g of cocoa powder! Here's the finished video in English:

The Spanish version is here, if that's your preference!

Taste? I love the coconut chocolate combo coming from a Latin American cooking background. Would you use the revised cacoa amount next time?

• Like 1

Just now, heidih said:

Taste? I love the coconut chocolate combo coming from a Latin American cooking background. Would you use the revised cacoa amount next time?

The doubled cocoa powder amount results in a more-bitter-than-intended loaf, so I definitely recommend using the corrected amount. I enjoyed the bread, and also like the sort of cultural expansion of my own bread repertoire: until this cookbook I had never really considered naturally-leavened "New World" breads.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

39 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

The doubled cocoa powder amount results in a more-bitter-than-intended loaf, so I definitely recommend using the corrected amount. I enjoyed the bread, and also like the sort of cultural expansion of my own bread repertoire: until this cookbook I had never really considered naturally-leavened "New World" breads.

Interesting. It is a whole :"new world" ;)

9 minutes ago, shain said:

Cake with plums and nectarines, marzipan, prunes, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, almond extract, Greek yogurt, butter.

I enjoy marzipan with ripe summer stone fruit as you've done.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Wanted something chocolatey, so I made a small chocolate Bundt with glaze. I usually half the recipe, and it fits perfectly in this little pan I got years ago. Since there is only two of us, a regular Bundt is way too much cake.

EA491823-5485-400B-8CB8-EB8B33E4E1C2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@RWood 

your cake looks Soooo  Soooooooo  Good !

esp the glaze !

I hope you had some vanilla ice cream to go with it !

We were out of ice cream, but had whipped cream and strawberries. My mother complained the whole time that it was Soo dark chocolate, (ate it anyway 😑) with a dome of whipped cream that was as big as her head to help cut it.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Well, as I always do about this time of year, it's wild huckleberry season in the upper reaches of the Pacific Northwest.  Got my first batch of berries at the farmers market this morning.  These are picked in the mountains above Priest Lake, ID in the northern part of the state, just about 1 hour from my home in the Spokane area.  I buy them from a fellow who is also a wild mushroom forager, so he does pretty well.  Wild huckleberries and morels and chanterelles get a high price when they're shipped out. But as a local I was very lucky this morning as a one gallon bag was only $31, normally a gallon bag runs anywhere from $45-$60.  This is a recipe from last year for Huckleberry Shortbread Bar Cookies, blueberries are an ok substitute.  I have some new huckleberry recipes on the way this season.

Huckleberry Shortbread #1.jpg

Ingredients

Shortbread Crust-

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 cup powdered sugar

12 tbsp. melted butter

reserved shortbread dough

Huckleberry Filling-

1 cup fresh wild huckleberries substitute fresh blueberries substitute fresh blueberries

4 tbsp. melted butter

1/4 cup sugar

1 tbsp. all-purpose flour

2 tsp. cornstarch

dash nutmeg

dash cinnamon

Instructions

Pre-heat the oven to 350.  Spray a 8" x 8" square metal baking pan with non-stick spray.

In a bowl combine the flour, powdered sugar and melted butter and stir to combine until the mixture forms a soft dough ball. Take 2/3 of the dough and press it into the bottom of the baking pan. Reserve the remaining 1/3 of the shortbread dough to use as the crumb topping. 

In another bowl, combine the huckleberries, melted butter, sugar, flour cornstarch and dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. Gently toss the mixture until thoroughly combined with the huckleberries.  

Spoon the huckleberry filling on top of the shortbread crust. Crumble the reserved shortbread pastry on top of the filling and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes until the filling is set and the topping starts to brown. 

Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Cut the shortbread into 12 squares.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

On 7/27/2020 at 6:29 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I got some local Niagara peaches at the farmers market on Saturday - the smell is wonderful. They are fuzzier that hubby likes though. Niagara Penninsula doesn't breed the hybrids.

I find that a good rinse and light rubbing with barely warm water does a good job of laying the fuzz.  

• Like 1

Delicious looking bakes, y’all!

@jedovaty– your blueberry “pie” is lovely. 

I made the Joy of Cooking Sour Cream Apple Cake Souffle Cockaigne that JoNorvelleWalker introduced us to:

IMG_3037.jpg.a8515e77123f78773568055c2fccbf93.jpg

Thank God that Jo was available by PM because I have the 1975 edition and some of the directions were odd.  It called for “shredded almonds” and for baking in a 12x17-inch baking pan.  I have no idea what a shredded almond is and neither does Google.  And the only pan I have that size is a baking sheet with a less than one-inch rim.  Jo had a newer edition and set me straight.  I have to say that I really hate the format of Joy of Cooking and never use it unless I’m looking for a specific method/recipe that I can’t find anywhere else.  It has great information and background, but the format of interspersing ingredients throughout the directions, rather than at the beginning, drives me crazy and I’m always afraid I’m going to miss an ingredient.  All that said, this was a delicious and unusual dessert.  I really appreciated the fact that it is actually BETTER when very cold because it can be cooked ahead, and leftovers taste great.  I served it with Cool Whip (because I had it in the freezer):

IMG_3040.jpg.f14db8d413b3767af1432000692aa8d4.jpg

On Sunday we took a pie over to my MIL for her birthday.  She’s been craving this pie for months and the restaurant that used to serve it has closed for good:

IMG_3055.jpg.af20805e7e4504dfc97f6cb2dce08e0b.jpg

This is the Surrey House Peanut and Raisin Pie.  I was deeply suspicious of all those raisins.  I love raisins but wasn’t at all sure about them in a pie with peanuts.  I needn’t have worried.  It was a delicious pie.  Very rich, but hard to stop nibbling.  Slice:

IMG_3067.jpg.424edc8a2463fd4768c37395befbc3dc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2