• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Grandpa Brian sent me some photos of the birthday boy with his cake.  When I dropped it off he had just woken up from a nap, so he wasn't quite sure what to make of it.  I think he wanted to play with it :).

F62045EF-AE1E-4B5A-A7CA-96D0B2C32D9D.jpeg

52DF9D9F-E16C-44A7-A14D-67EE43B5A8C2.jpeg

29AF420E-69B1-4210-ABBF-6A03E5B14979.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Ha I was wondering where the cut would be. They picked the best spot to preserve the look. Yes his eyes do look a bit half-mast. H will never forget it though!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@RWood, you have ruined that child for all other cakes and set yourself a very high bar for repeat performances, which I’m sure will be demanded!

Yeah, Ginger was already asking me what I thought of a humpback whale.  New obsession I guess.  But, that could change in a year :).  And, the mom is expecting another boy in a few months.  

I have a few cakes I'm wanting to make.  An octopus for myself, and a standing Harley for my dad, but I have to get back to Georgia to make it for him.  I have a list that maybe I'll get to one of these days.  Hopefully from paying customers and not just for me ;).

• Like 8

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Ha I was wondering where the cut would be. They picked the best spot to preserve the look. Yes his eyes do look a bit half-mast. H will never forget it though!

Yeah, the back is the only place that is cake.  The rest is rice krispies.  They only needed cake for about 10 people, so like I told them, I got over enthusiastic :).  But, for a 3D standing dinosaur, what else would have looked right?

• Like 9

New neighbours got a welcome package today: more sourdough jimbits (doughnuts), coffee and salted vanilla caramels, fresh-milled, whole rye, chocolate chip cookies, a jar of the jelly we made from the neighbour's crabapples, and some non-edibles: soap, some street and neighbourhood coasters.

Image from iOS.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, jimb0 said:

New neighbours got a welcome package today: more sourdough jimbits (doughnuts), coffee and salted vanilla caramels, fresh-milled, whole rye, chocolate chip cookies, a jar of the jelly we made from the neighbour's crabapples, and some non-edibles: soap, some street and neighbourhood coasters.

Wow! I hope they are the type of folks who get that thank you is enough

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

Wow! I hope they are the type of folks who get that thank you is enough

One hopes!

They seem nice and have friendly dogs. Someone dropped off a lovely potted daisy as a thank you for some caramels the other day. 

• Like 6

I'm definitely becoming known in the neighbourhood for dropping off stuff, especially caramels, so god forbid you want to move to southwestern Ontario, you can get in on the action. Sometimes I worry about my neighbours getting too much stuff - I'm being a little hypocritical here, haha, because I don't want a bunch of food - but everyone seems to be enjoying it so far.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rajala said:

Rhubarb tart!

rhubarb_tart01.thumb.png.f631fb048d3463d2d8e737f3fcfb51df.png

Sooooo....thin-sliced lengthwise on a mandoline? I might have to try that.

Did you blanch in syrup or par-roast or anything to make it flexible?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Sooooo....thin-sliced lengthwise on a mandoline? I might have to try that.

Did you blanch in syrup or par-roast or anything to make it flexible?

Yes and almost, I guess. :)

Lengthwise on a mandoline, and hot syrup poured over the rhubarb strips. I let them rest for a few minutes in the hot syrup, to get them more flexible as you wrote.

• Like 1

Cool.

Just harvested some yesterday, and this looks like a perfect use-case for the larger stems.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning