• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Here's what happens when I want to bake first thing in the morning, before it gets too hot in my kitchen to turn on the real oven. And I want to make these in the real oven.

204942240_Chocolatechipcookies06-04.jpeg.e7ca3c45a31bcee05ae5eb3b9bdf78b0.jpeg

I overcrowded the cookie sheet, and a bunch of them were stuck together. Then I couldn't get them off the cookie sheet easily - but could have had I lined the friggin' cookie sheet with a piece of parchment! Idiot.

Still tasty.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Here's what happens when I want to bake first thing in the morning, before it gets too hot in my kitchen to turn on the real oven. And I want to make these in the real oven.

I overcrowded the cookie sheet, and a bunch of them were stuck together. Then I couldn't get them off the cookie sheet easily - but could have had I lined the friggin' cookie sheet with a piece of parchment! Idiot.

Still tasty.

Ironic that I was baking bread early this morning in a sweatshirt on the west coast (Los Angeles) and so cold I've kept it on all day!  Yes parchment paper is such a miraculous friend. I would eat those cookies with a cup of coffee with pleasure. Looks do not matter when taste is stellar,

• Like 4

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

204942240_Chocolatechipcookies06-04.jpeg.e7ca3c45a31bcee05ae5eb3b9bdf78b0.jpeg

Still tasty.

I'd still pound them.

And judging by the big gap on the tray, you and your tasters had no problems with them either :D

• Haha 1

Two of our grandkids, a brother and sister (boy 2, girl 5) had birthdays five days apart back in April but their joint party was delayed because of the virus. It finally took place this past weekend, and I made up a dinosaur cake for the little guy (his sister held out for an ice cream cake from DQ).

Neither cake decorating nor photography is exactly my forte, but here it is FWIW. Somewhere about midnight I realized that the main part of the body was supposed to have been done in rosettes, rather than the "gloop and spread" method, but by then I wasn't ready to go back and redo it. The little guy didn't mind, and I felt a lot less tired listening to his excited bellows of "DINO CAKE!!!" :P

IMG_20200531_103708.thumb.jpg.23f62f3ff26769700345f86355f14f4b.jpg

Apparently after my holiday baking binge I gave away or discarded a bunch of things from my decorating tote, including the cake board and dome, several of the food colorings I thought I'd had, and several colors of prepared decorating icing. Whoopsie...

• Like 11

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, jimb0 said:

i personally like a big chip but you could probably get something closer to what you want with a quick blitz in a blender or food processor. 

I've never had much luck with that - just big chips and a lot of powder afterwards.

Maybe just put them in a freezer bag and whack them with a rolling pin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I've never had much luck with that - just big chips and a lot of powder afterwards.

also a good suggestion. I like the vitamix on low for a couple of seconds for use cases like this, but it really is just a couple of seconds else yeah, dust. 

2 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

That is what I did with walnuts when doing holiday baking and the food processor went AWOL. I used the flat side of the meat mallet and did it outside on the patio concrete.

1 hour ago, RobertM said:

A friend of ours had a birthday yesterday,  he wanted was a “white cake, vanilla frosting and strawberries”

CF6936A2-294E-4510-B104-98E121CB19B4.thumb.jpeg.95e20fc401b949e47f7d50836f25fbc3.jpeg

So beautifully decorated.  Not something I can do. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My friend Ginger asked me to make her grandson a T Rex cake for his 3rd birthday (today).  

He's made of chocolate cake, Rice krispies and modeling Chocolate.  First time using Satin Ice covering chocolate instead of fondant. That stuff is great! 

The eye is made of isomalt with a transfer sheet. 

He was fun to make.

AA648C2A-6F89-4A4F-AC1C-876E7EB73977.jpeg

01974EC9-A08C-40B8-9A7E-4F5AD7EA6277.jpeg

• Like 20

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

That's just amazing! How long did it take you? And why are you not on TV making cakes?

Thanks! I started working on small parts of it (putting the structure together, figuring out the head, turning the house upside down looking for the stuff to make the eyes 🤦‍♀️) on Monday, and worked a little each day.  Thursday and Friday were the serious days. Finished the board Saturday before delivering. 

And, so not into the TV thing. Most people on those shows annoy me to much to watch 🤷‍♀️😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@RWood that dino cake is amazing!!! How did you go about designing it and figuring out how to make it stand without toppling?

Now, I'm going to post a pic of some brownies that I made... decided to make them in tartlet pans so they were a bit dainty and easy to nibble on. Tasty but not the WOW of a dino cake!!!

772616296_IMG_6139-tartletbrowniesSarahDwyer.jpg.aae85626300eb449d7627caa6b28105d.jpg

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, curls said:

@RWood that dino cake is amazing!!! How did you go about designing it and figuring out how to make it stand without toppling?

Now, I'm going to post a pic of some brownies that I made... decided to make them in tartlet pans so they were a bit dainty and easy to nibble on. Tasty but not the WOW of a dino cake!!!

772616296_IMG_6139-tartletbrowniesSarahDwyer.jpg.aae85626300eb449d7627caa6b28105d.jpg

I have three sets of the sugar structures made by Innovative Sugarworks, and I watched a couple of their videos on how the recommend using them and attaching a board. I just went by the shape of a T Rex. It took parts from all the sets to get it the shape and secure it. I went to Lowes and they had a scrap piece of thick MDF board they gave me. The weight of that helped keep it from being unbalanced.  I used armiture wire to make the arms.

Here are a some photos of the progression.

3AFED5C3-9F3E-4C68-8260-6E79133822AC.jpeg

0DE42C34-B247-4358-A78A-BD3A6F8562A3.jpeg

2E50E8A0-A203-4594-9422-8B2A4F7755A9.jpeg

502101D3-B319-4FF2-AB32-2FED25E2125B.jpeg

BCE8DB89-50AE-449B-995A-1F60845875A8.jpeg

3A17F4B7-C8C0-46BB-B24A-204B5EE947D1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

@RWood thank you very much for the explanation and the progression of photos. It is great to see how you went about making this cake! I did not even know that such substructures were available for purchase. I'll be checking out the Innovative Sugarworks videos that you mentioned. Doubt I'll ever make something like that but I'd love to learn more about how it is done.

• Like 1