• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

5 hours ago, GRiker said:

Hibiscus glaze. Delicious! 

it worked really well! Originally was going with lime, to cut through the richness (these are the ideas in food doughnuts, so a batch has two pounds of butter and eight eggs), but forgot to buy citrus at the store. So I thought about how acidic hibiscus is and powdered five grams of the dried before mixing it with 40 grams of water. In another bowl I mixed 280g of sugar (powdered in a blender), 40 grams of whole milk, and one to two grams of salt. I didn’t want to accidentally curdle the milk. I poured the infusion into the glaze; all but the biggest unground pieces went in (as you can see from the picture). Really pleased with the result! Faintly fruity, in one of those fun, mysterious ways (since how often do you taste hibiscus with this much sugar). Definitely going to add this to the rotation. Kind of want to do a hibiscus curd, now. Or maybe a hibiscus ganache for truffles?

Fried off the rest of the doughnut dough today. I'm calling them jimbits :D

Currently sitting in a bag of powdered sugar while I figure out what to do with them.

image_from_ios.thumb.jpg.6ab674b163d8460b540b2eecb11e8d75.jpg

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

Fried off the rest of the doughnut dough today. I'm calling them jimbits :D

Currently sitting in a bag of powdered sugar while I figure out what to do with them.

image_from_ios.thumb.jpg.6ab674b163d8460b540b2eecb11e8d75.jpg

They look  like individualistic XL donut holes. Interior shot maybe?  No treat needy neighbor's doorsteps?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

They look i,e individualistic XL donut holes. Interior shot maybe? 

I'll dig one out of the bag in a little bit and cut it open; the shot's just close, though; they're smaller than golf balls.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, heidih said:

They look  like individualistic XL donut holes. Interior shot maybe?  No treat needy neighbor's doorsteps?

as requested 

D7786339-F9F4-451D-A4AF-4809F5A6E4D1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh my! How many did y'all snarfle when thy were warm ;)

well I’m skipping supper and going for a run on the treadmill after I’m done roasting coffee.....

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.bfc3a661aaf9fdc4c0eca12cc40d688d.JPG

The only chocolate chip cookie - this is based on a Jacque Torres recipe - reminds me of Paul Raphael's browned butter and muscovado cookies.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

IMG_6083-brownies.jpg.61f8879e141fe42c038204eb21f9efcd.jpg

My standard fudgy brownie recipe -- using Valrhona unsweetened chocolate. Not as rich or dense as the Paul Young brownie recipe but still very rich and chocolatey.

• Like 6

On 5/18/2020 at 4:52 AM, jimb0 said:

hibiscus ganache for truffles?

I’ve definitely thought of that, though not tried it yet.  There is a Mexican drink called agua de jamaica which along with hibiscus flowers has cinnamon. I’ve thought an agua de jamaica bon bons would be delicious. It’s on my list. 

Edited by GRiker (log)
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GRiker said:

I’ve definitely thought of that, though not tried it yet.  They is a Mexican drink called agua de jamaica which along with hibiscus flowers has cinnamon. I’ve thought an agua de jamaica bon bons would be delicious. It’s on my list. 

The jamaica agua frescas I see are usually plain though I'v seen it with a more spicy anise tilt (star anise is good) often served as a warm tea..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRiker said:

I’ve definitely thought of that, though not tried it yet.  They is a Mexican drink called agua de jamaica which along with hibiscus flowers has cinnamon. I’ve thought an agua de jamaica bon bons would be delicious. It’s on my list. 

Maybe a hibiscus cocoa butter shell and a cinnamon ganache. Or, well, I think we could work some pineapple in there with them, too.

I made a hibiscus creme pat tonight. Pretty good. Managed to curdle the milk at one point (hibiscus is soooo acidic) but vitamixed it smooth again. As you might expect the custard dulled the flavours substantially to the point where I think you'd have to add rather a lot to really get some flavour out of it. 

Edited by jimb0 (log)

Frozen yogurt mae granita style (no machine). Yogurt, banana and chocolate. Yogurt, banana and mullberry. Topped with some quickly made granola.

IMG_20200520_212056.jpg

IMG_20200520_212337.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

My mother used to make Eccle.....thought I would take the Covid time to try and make one myself.....(I apologize to the admins....I accidentally posted this in the bread thread)

F0D99543-375E-45DC-9B72-14212E91B62F.thumb.jpeg.46993b99feb26d57ecab8ed72e465563.jpeg

• Like 5

More quarantine snack packs for coworkers and neighbours. Caramels (half salted browns, half coffee) wrapped tonight; doughs in the fridge for baking and frying fresh tomorrow morning. 

FB75365B-C118-4B17-86AF-D2942C7DEAEA.jpeg

• Like 11

Also practiced my macarons today; I think I’m finally pleased. These will get a schmear of the blackberry ganache I have setting up in the fridge 

38E6A0F8-4871-4061-882A-9E0BC5D2D6DE.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1