• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

1 hour ago, RWood said:

A few Easter cookies. I'm trying to refrain from baking a lot, there's only two of us and since I can't give it to anyone 🤷‍♀️

These are Raspberry cookies with almond royal icing and wafer paper decoration. A little gold lustre painted on the edges. 

E66032D1-D009-46C5-A5FC-C29CCF736230.jpeg

So elegant! 

• Like 6

Disclaimer: I did not make this. But our local Mexican bakery posted its 3Easter cakes and Child A had a conniption. So I masked up, hustled down there, and got their last one.

20200411_143025.thumb.jpg.f34c998cf8eb534835b6b9280da08c44.jpg

Curious to know from the professionals in here what you'd charge for s similar cake. This one is about 8 inches square, and inside is tres leeches and chocolate. I paid $48, which I thought was awfully cheap.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Applesauce muffins made with half WW four and half almond flour. May go 2/3-1/3 next time. Very moist, they are supposed to be better the next day. They sank as they cooled. I think my baking powder is too old, also.

46F635BC-59CF-46EE-973A-D85A173E2DD5.jpeg

• Like 8

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, shain said:

mulberries

I really envy your meter long mulberries!

No mulberry trees within 200 meters from here, if they prolong the lockdown then I'm going to miss them. I already missed wysteria season damn. But I'm not willing to loose mulberries, so I'll end up running by night as a ninja.

Teo

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Teo

Eight treasure rice.

Sticky rice with sweet adzuki beans, pumpkin seeds, chinese dates, sesame seeds, lotus seeds, longan, ganlan.

Lacking osmanthus syrup, orange blossom water worked well.

IMG_20200418_214518.jpg

IMG_20200418_214616.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Nothing impressive compared to the stuff made by professionals here, but got to try my hand at making some classic basic pastries.

Paris-Brest. Piping extra praliné between the creme mousseline and adding crushed reserved pralines really kicks up the praline flavour and adds nice texture.

IMG_20200422_210448.thumb.jpg.be70e6ab104b0fa341c207a37ab11b54.jpg

Orange brûlée tart with candied orange slices.

IMG_20200417_213426.thumb.jpg.5ec752ee234a30a3155e93f987f83446.jpg

Caramelized apple tart. Not the most photogenic, but absolutely one of the best tasting desserts I've ever had.

IMG_20200331_201418.thumb.jpg.3de2506c0811af377ae6e90b47e4a8e4.jpg

Edited by Cahoot (log)
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Cahoot said:

Nothing impressive compared to the stuff made by professionals here, but got to try my hand at making some classic basic pastries.

You are being modest, those are far from basic pastries, and all look great. I'd love to have myself a slice (or two) from each of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Matthew.Taylor  Very nice!  I have never had any luck making those.  Either the crust is too hard to cut through or the chocolate shatters when I cut into it.  Yours look perfect.

I got the recipe here.

http://collectingmemoriess.blogspot.com/2015/05/millionaires-bars.html?m=1
give it a shot.

though I should tell you, make sure you stir the caramel constantly! It will take at least 40 minutes of constant stirring.

EDIT: though I should tell you that I may have cooked it too long. The caramel is not as soft as I would have liked.

Edited by Matthew.Taylor (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1