• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks @kayb.

1924202528_BlueberryPieNovember16th20191.thumb.jpg.4ca1718da2fb6d1f3b675174c829fb7b.jpg

Blueberry Pie, just out of the oven.

1636075358_BlueberryPieNovember16th20192.thumb.jpg.ee24c208abe11863c13530b8d39f7537.jpg

Bought a pie plate/server from someone who advertised it on a local "New/Used repurposed furniture and household items facebook page" for the big sum of $5.00.

1770693292_BlueberryPieServerNovember16th2019.thumb.jpg.51d49d77740cc7308da06c396e9fc54c.jpg

Couldn't resist it.

The pie is beautiful, and the pie dish is a real find! It looks as though you baked the pie directly in the dish. Did you use the cover for any of that? I can see how that might help control browning and crispness. Whether that would be good or bad is another question.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The pie is beautiful, and the pie dish is a real find! It looks as though you baked the pie directly in the dish. Did you use the cover for any of that? I can see how that might help control browning and crispness. Whether that would be good or bad is another question.

@Smithy,  The person that I bought it from had never baked in it.  Only used it to take pies to potlucks.

I looked on line and found a number of different versions of the same thing, called both pie plates and pie servers. Couldn't find a picture where someone actually baked in it.   Most of the pictures referred to it as vintage.  No idea if it is old or new.  But it is made in Portugal.   Anyway, I figured since I only paid $5.00 for it, I really had nothing to lose if the pie plate broke in the oven.  Warned Moe that it would either work or I would be throwing out a pie.   Thankfully it worked.

ETA:  No, I did not cover the pie with the lid while it was baking.   I'm pretty sure it is only meant as decoration.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4

Every Fall since 2009 - when I got the recipe from @Lisa2k – I get the urge to make this Fig/Mascarpone/Apple Tart.  Along with her Green Apple Ice it makes the most perfect, seasonal dessert.  I put it together over the last few days for a dinner party we gave last night.  I started the ice on the 11th.  I did the crust a couple of days ago and baked the whole thing day before yesterday.  Pressed into the tart pan:

DSCN0382.JPG.44a59095428172cce1b56cee77373d7a.JPG

I love that this doesn’t have to be rolled out and transferred to the pan.  The mascarpone/fig filling:

DSCN0383.JPG.c13552edfba292e79c19a32cbcca9a26.JPG

With the apples and glaze:

DSCN0387.JPG.641d74b7fa3ebdaecef11306182967cc.JPG

And drizzled with apple cider caramel sauce:

DSCN0396.JPG.0c1346ddd002bcf36b4ec5dfdcb3e800.JPG

And Green Apple Ice:

DSCN0397.JPG.275f597f063e25ebd227267d854c25bc.JPG

Gratifying moans and groans ensued!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 6

On 11/17/2019 at 7:07 PM, Kim Shook said:

Every Fall since 2009 - when I got the recipe from @Lisa2k – I get the urge to make this Fig/Mascarpone/Apple Tart.  Along with her Green Apple Ice it makes the most perfect, seasonal dessert.  I put it together over the last few days for a dinner party we gave last night.  I started the ice on the 11th.  I did the crust a couple of days ago and baked the whole thing day before yesterday.  Pressed into the tart pan:

DSCN0382.JPG.44a59095428172cce1b56cee77373d7a.JPG

I love that this doesn’t have to be rolled out and transferred to the pan.  The mascarpone/fig filling:

DSCN0383.JPG.c13552edfba292e79c19a32cbcca9a26.JPG

With the apples and glaze:

DSCN0387.JPG.641d74b7fa3ebdaecef11306182967cc.JPG

And drizzled with apple cider caramel sauce:

DSCN0396.JPG.0c1346ddd002bcf36b4ec5dfdcb3e800.JPG

And Green Apple Ice:

DSCN0397.JPG.275f597f063e25ebd227267d854c25bc.JPG

Gratifying moans and groans ensued!

That looks delightful, Kim! You sent me down a rabbit hole looking for the recipe(s). For those who also would like to know more about them, here is a link to @Lisa2k's original post. In a later post, she notes that the actual recipe is in her blog, linked in her signature.

Ah, here it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Kim Shook, I have to echo @Smithy's "delightful" comment on that dish and I thank her for the links to the recipes. If I ever saw something like that on a restaurant menu, I would break my "look but don't touch" dessert rule in an instant! I was also pleased to read that the recipe calls for dried figs as I thought your photo looked like they might be fresh, and out of reach around here. 

Do you make the green apple ice in an ice cream maker? I don't have one but would love to make this over the holidays. Or maybe I can rope my cousin in to the plan and use hers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Kim Shook, I have to echo @Smithy's "delightful" comment on that dish and I thank her for the links to the recipes. If I ever saw something like that on a restaurant menu, I would break my "look but don't touch" dessert rule in an instant! I was also pleased to read that the recipe calls for dried figs as I thought your photo looked like they might be fresh, and out of reach around here. 

Do you make the green apple ice in an ice cream maker? I don't have one but would love to make this over the holidays. Or maybe I can rope my cousin in to the plan and use hers!

Thank you so much!  I do make the green apple ice in an ice cream maker, but if you look at the recipe, you'll see that @Lisa2k says you can do it in a shallow tray.  I happen to have a little cheapo ice cream maker (a hand me down from my MIL's neighbor) that doesn't make very good ice cream, but comes out once a year to make THIS.  😁 

I, too, love the fact that it is made with dried figs.  The window for fresh figs is so small and it never comes along at the same time as good apples in my area.  I love finding dried fig recipes!  I hope you get a chance to make this and enjoy it.  The recipe looks a little complicated and there are a few steps, but each step is really simple and most can be done ahead of time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got up at 3 so already had breakfast and lunch...  Orange olive cake is in the oven. Not too sweet. I picked the oranges after it was light enough to see well. They are not juicy yet but the zest is lovely. Waiting for the scent from the oven to come up. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

Well, I wasn't quite as motivated as Heidih ... the other day I made a little (and I mean little!) 3-layer 6" white cake with vanilla IMBC - it was so cute - so little! xD ... Mr Cat asked for a slice so I brought him a quarter of the cake - to me that was a slice :| ... when I brought it to him he looked at me like ¬¬O.o:shock: ... he took a quarter slice to work the next day and shared it with TWO other people :o ... well, that's what I get for thinking a quarter slice of a little tiny cake is one piece, I guess :| xD ... I also sent the same size slice to Cat Son ... he did not share :ph34r: 

• Haha 4

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

My meauring cups were all occupied so I "eye-balled" the orange olive oil cake. Probably low on sugar but really good to my taste. It was oranges as kumquats were pea green and the ground around was muddy ...  It has a lovely texture.  Obviously I have sampled :)

cake.JPG

• Like 6

My old scale is stuck behind this "tractor" and I had a yeast starter in one and rice and fish heating in another - only have 2. and hand issues so pyrex with a handle is my preferred mode  

tractor.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 2

A slice & bake version of Poilâne's Corn Sablés.  The recipe appears in Apollonia Poilâne’s new book, “Poilâne, The Secrets of the World-Famous Bread Bakery.” I used the recipe that Dorie Greenspan wrote about in the NYT: A Cookie Inspired by American Cornbread, Perfected in a French Bakery.

Instead of rolling the dough and using a 2" inch cutter, I shaped it into 2" diameter logs. 

IMG_1626.thumb.jpeg.cf61add4f09c928b0fc5896779a379eb.jpeg

Dorie describes the corn flour called for as, "a type of cornmeal so finely milled that you can barely feel the grain’s grit."  I purchased corn flour but it must be a more coarsely ground product as my cookies have a slightly gritty texture.  I don't mind it, but I might try sifting the corn flour next time to see if that makes a difference. On the other hand, she also says that sablé means sandy so maybe the texture is as it should be, though mine do look a bit more coarse than the article photo does. 

Either way, I like them - buttery, sandy and not too sweet. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

37 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Dorie describes the corn flour called for as, "a type of cornmeal so finely milled that you can barely feel the grain’s grit."

I did not know there was such a thing as corn flour distinct from what I know as cornstarch until I started baking from Modernist Bread and was able to source corn flour at my bulk food store.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I did not know there was such a thing as corn flour distinct from what I know as cornstarch until I started baking from Modernist Bread and was able to source corn flour at my bulk food store.

I bought mine at the same local mill where I get the coarser stuff I use for polenta.  It is certainly finer than the polenta stuff, but still with a noticeable grit.  I went ahead and sifted enough for another batch with a mesh strainer, giving the coarse bits an extra grind in my old whirly-blade coffee grinder until they were fine enough to pass through.  Dorie recommended the Bob's Red Mill corn flour for these cookies but I don't want to buy more corn stuff.  I'll save that expense and perhaps invest it in some cultured butter as Dorie says they use at Poilâne 🙃

• Like 1

Today I made the desserts for tomorrow, our US Thanksgiving. I have for the last 4 years made a batch of  my grandmother's Banana bread, it makes 3 loaves, and one happily went away with the young man who helps out with tasks too arduous for us to handle. 

I also made a hot fudge pie, and my first ever attempt at butter tarts.  OMG!!! they are one of the best little bites I have ever had. 

Rounding out the table will be a purchased pumpkin roll. Gussied up with fresh whipped cream of course.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! 

• Like 6

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

November 30, 2019

Today's bake.
Apple kuchen.
I had planned to make an apple bread pudding on T-Day but ended up just baking a small bread pudding.

Today I decided to mix up some dough for scones but as I began to measure out the liquid, I stopped at half the amount. I mixed in some self-rising flour, a little sugar, some almond extract. Then cored and sliced 3 apples, layered them with the batter/dough, sprinkling with cinnamon/sugar.
Baked for 65 minutes at 370°F.
Very tasty.

1549219486_Apfelkuchen113019.thumb.jpg.d97d4d08b5f537fee08cf3d5e77d9bbd.jpg

220043520_Apfelkuchen1130193.thumb.jpg.953a87c0bc296ed7903fe1e1c2ed2824.jpg

1201131285_Apfelkuchen1130192.thumb.jpg.d66a15fec41e7e4c00563d4a3db853ad.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett