• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

On 10/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, David Ross said:

Every year at this time I post about the Apple Tarte Tatin and for years I've been posting my efforts here at eGullet.  Living in Washington we are fortunate to be not only the top producer of apples, but we have dozens and dozens of different varieties available to us throughout the season.  This year I bought a new camera specifically for taking food photos, which also enhances the look of the Tarte Tatin this year.  When I tell people the variety of apple I use they are surprised-the Golden Delicious.  My original recipe is adapted from Saveur Cooks Authentic French cookbook which calls for the Golden Delicious.  I've tried the Granny Smith, Fuji, Gala and many others and none seem to get the right balance of sweet and slightly tart, and soak up the buttery caramel.  And after the long baking time the Golden Delicious still holds its shape.  Here is the recipe, along with some new photos for this year. This recipe suits a 10" cast-iron skillet but the photos were taken using a 6" cast iron skillet.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, David Ross said:
Apple Tarte Tatin.JPG

Oh...my. I have no words.

But I do have a question. You cook the apples in the caramel in the oven for 1.5 hours at 400F? I'd'a never thunk it. Looks like the sugar would burn. But obviously you have it down to a science.

Saving this one.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_5802~2.JPGI tried a rocher type glaze on my pumpkin bread. I didn't think I would like the chocolate and pumpkin combo as others do but I really enjoyed it. I used Jivara and some candied pecans. I will definitely dip next time as opposed to pouring the glaze

IMG_5936~2.JPG

Edited by trisme11
wonky spacing from using my phone to post (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, trisme11 said:

IMG_5802~2.JPGI tried a rocher type glaze on my pumpkin bread. I didn't think I would like the chocolate and pumpkin combo as others do but I really enjoyed it. I used Jivara and some candied pecans. I will definitely dip next time as opposed to pouring the glaze

IMG_5936~2.JPG

That is just all-over gorgeous!  The cake texture - the chocolate finish - this thickness of the coating.  Wow!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trisme11 said:

I tried a rocher type glaze on my pumpkin bread. I didn't think I would like the chocolate and pumpkin combo as others do but I really enjoyed it. I used Jivara and some candied pecans. I will definitely dip next time as opposed to pouring the glaze

It looks great! I love the pairing between pumpkin and milk chocolate. I would suggest adding some pumpkin seeds, they work great too.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

Left over filo sheets where made into an apple strudel.

Apples, raisins and dried apricots. Brown sugar, cinnamon (not too much), nutmeg, orange zest. chopped walnuts between the filo. Creme anglaise.

IMG_20191001_213825.jpg

IMG_20191001_212843.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

Left over filo sheets where made into an apple strudel.

Apples, raisins and dried apricots. Brown sugar, cinnamon (not too much), nutmeg, orange zest. chopped walnuts between the filo. Creme anglaise.

IMG_20191001_213825.jpg

Good plan since in my part of the world it is apple season :)  We only use a bit of zimt as spice

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, kayb said:

Oh...my. I have no words.

But I do have a question. You cook the apples in the caramel in the oven for 1.5 hours at 400F? I'd'a never thunk it. Looks like the sugar would burn. But obviously you have it down to a science.

Saving this one.

Sorry, thought I already answered this one.  Yes, it seems odd to cook the apples in sugar that long.  I do check about every 25 minutes or so.  The apples will show some dark areas on the top, where they aren't touching the caramel.  But when you flip it over, deep golden brown and the apples never taste burned.  It sounds crazy I know but I've used this consistent cooking time for years.

• Like 1

Still had some apples to use, so I made an apple kugel. Plenty of walnuts, raisins, sweet wine, cinnamon. 

Top is buttered and baked until crisp. It makes for the best part.

IMG_20191009_211441.jpg

IMG_20191009_211454.jpg

IMG_20191009_212401_1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

19 minutes ago, shain said:

Still had some apples to use, so I made an apple kugel. Plenty of walnuts, raisins, sweet wine, cinnamon. 

Top is buttered and baked until crisp. It makes for the best part.

IMG_20191009_211441.jpg

IMG_20191009_211454.jpg

IMG_20191009_212401_1.jpg

Love the look of that apple kugel. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@shain

really looks delicious.

are all the layers apples ,

or are their noodles making up some of the layers ?

The noodles give it most of the bulk. I cut the apples into noodle wide pices,so that they get tangled along them.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

Wow, that apple kugel looks amazing, @shain!

Cinnamon Spice Cake from Odette Williams's Simple Cake. The kindle version of this book is currently $2.99 on amazon.com but not amazon.ca  

It's all spelt flour with olive oil, applesauce and milk and the usual baking suspects.  I used Penzy's pie spice in lieu of cinnamon and nutmeg but forgot the orange zest.  I was concerned that it would be heavy but it's a very light, flavorful snack cake, perfect with a cup of coffee. 

I made a half recipe in a 9 x 9" pan, so it's a little thinner that it would be if one baked the full recipe in the 9 x 13" pan called for but perfect for cutting into smaller squares and eating out of hand. 

IMG_1444.thumb.jpeg.1820a3efc2c761c8e90bdb6066789bb2.jpeg

The crumb is light and tender.  Moist but not at all wet.  

IMG_1447.thumb.jpeg.2e9053538340efa5a1ff7cd8dea5ad2c.jpeg

The book gives options for adding walnuts, pecans or ginger and allspice, dusting with confectioners's sugar, or brushing with melted butter and cinnamon sugar (calling them cinnamon donut cakes), frosting with cream cheese frosting or serving warm with caramel sauce and ice cream. She also gives time and size options for baking in a round pan, individual mini Bundts or cupcake tins. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Re: the kugel. Does anyone know if there's such a critter as gluten-free egg noodles? I would love to try a kugel, but alas....celiac disease sucks.

ETA: Amazon shows some. But they're sure pricy!

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 4/26/2017 at 7:24 AM, Kasia said:

My last baking initiative - Plum scones.

Ingredients:

400g of flour
200g of 18% cream
200g of butter
3 tablespoons of caster sugar
plum stew
caster sugar for sprinkling

the whole recipe and its story you will find here

DSC_0920a.jpg

Just like my moms kifli

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Re: the kugel. Does anyone know if there's such a critter as gluten-free egg noodles? I would love to try a kugel, but alas....celiac disease sucks.

I can't vouch for them, but I'm sure you'd be up to the task: GF egg noodle recipe.  It doesn't look too hard.

@RWood - the texture of your icing is amazing.  I geeked out and opened a separate copy of the photo so that I could zoom in and really see the surface.  Incredible.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kayb said:

This recipe turned up on Food52 not long ago:  The Best Gluten-Free Pasta Recipe, According to a Chef

It uses a LOT of egg yolks!

8 hours ago, kayb said:

Use your favorite gluten free eggless noodles. Egg noodles are better, but not crucial.

~ Shai N.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, Kim Shook said:

I need a little guidance, please.  Mr. Kim asked me some time ago to make the Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I finally put the dough together day before yesterday and baked them yesterday.  They are enormous cookies (3.5 oz. each):

(snip)

Crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle.  The perfect cooky.  Mr. Kim and Jessica were having serious moments with these cookies.  You know, I’m not sure if I really like chocolate chip cookies, even orgasmic ones.  Because I’ve never had one that I went crazy over.  And these were good.  But I’m not tempted to go downstairs to get another one.  But here’s the thing – I’m not sure that I used REALLY excellent chocolate for these.  I just decided on the spur of the moment while I was at Aldi to make them.  I had everything but the chocolate, so I bought 2 bars of Moser Roth 70% dark and 3 bars of Choceur 49%.  What I’m wondering is if I went ahead and bought the Jacques Torres or the Valrhona chocolate, are they SO much better that I might love these cookies?  I am just so ignorant about dark chocolate.  I spent just under $10 for 1 1/2 lb. of chocolate.  The Jacques Torres would be about $15 for the same amount – half again as much, which isn’t bad, but I’m sure I’d have to pay postage.  The Valrhona is more than twice that, so that’s out.  I’d really like to be able to go to a local store and buy what I can feel confident is really GOOD dark chocolate to try next time I make these.  Your opinions would be wonderful!  

Hi there, I'm a little late on response.  Yours look just right and delicious, and like you, I find these better the next day, after they have cooled down and "rested".  But unlike you, I can eat and have eaten a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies in one sitting (forget delayed gratification!!).  While I'd like to suggest trying different chocolates in the mix at once, based on history of reading all your posts here I think I'd be preaching to the choir :)  If you haven't done so, try that, use different chocolates, and also, maybe try using a little less than the recipe calls for.  Or, instead, make small, bite-sized ccc, these are always very popular at my office.  For chocolate, I usually use my own left-over dark chocolates (~70% no dairy, wipe out the chocolate from the melanger, mix with the ones that don't quite make full mold, and press out 1/4" sheets between parchment), and sometimes chunks of left over hazelnut/chocolate failed ganaches, or etc.  Also, I've made a JT-based ccc recipe with strawberry white chocolate and macadamia nuts.

However, I've found the JT recipe to make very greasy cookies.. I can't seem to get them them quite right, I have tried reducing butter or increasing flour.  Any suggestions?

Someone else stated they enjoy shortbread cookies.. to that person and to you, try the Alison Roman shortbread chocolate chip cookies, they are quite good.

strawberry white chocolate macadamia.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

Hi there, I'm a little late on response.  Yours look just right and delicious, and like you, I find these better the next day, after they have cooled down and "rested".  But unlike you, I can eat and have eaten a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies in one sitting (forget delayed gratification!!).  While I'd like to suggest trying different chocolates in the mix at once, based on history of reading all your posts here I think I'd be preaching to the choir :)  If you haven't done so, try that, use different chocolates, and also, maybe try using a little less than the recipe calls for.  Or, instead, make small, bite-sized ccc, these are always very popular at my office.  For chocolate, I usually use my own left-over dark chocolates (~70% no dairy, wipe out the chocolate from the melanger, mix with the ones that don't quite make full mold, and press out 1/4" sheets between parchment), and sometimes chunks of left over hazelnut/chocolate failed ganaches, or etc.  Also, I've made a JT-based ccc recipe with strawberry white chocolate and macadamia nuts.

However, I've found the JT recipe to make very greasy cookies.. I can't seem to get them them quite right, I have tried reducing butter or increasing flour.  Any suggestions?

Someone else stated they enjoy shortbread cookies.. to that person and to you, try the Alison Roman shortbread chocolate chip cookies, they are quite good.

strawberry white chocolate macadamia.jpg

Thank you for the idea of using different chocolate (I always have bits and pieces of it left after baking – kind of like the ends of cheese!) – I’ll definitely be doing that.  And one of the recipes that I looked at actually make the cookies much smaller – I will try that next time.  I really think that they are just too big for most people, but I want to make sure that the texture is the same because that was perfect. 

I’m really unsure why your cookies would be greasy.  You seem to have addressed the usual culprits (too much butter or too little flour).  Could it be the brand of butter?  I used an inexpensive Irish butter that I got at Aldi.  And did you let it rest at least 24 hours?  I’m really just flailing around here – I’m no expert.  Maybe someone else will have some advice about that.

I found the Alison Roman cookies that you mentioned.  They look fantastic.  And shortbread cookies are probably my all-time favorite.  Thank you for mentioning them.

So, does anyone have ideas about why @jedovaty's cookies are greasy despite changing the amounts of butter and/or flour?  I’m at a loss.

SO, I just figured out that for awhile now (not sure exactly how long, but a fairly long time) what I've been using as and thought was baking powder is actually baking soda.  All my life baking soda has come in a box and baking powder in a canister.  This is a canister of baking soda.  🤪

What this means is the Jacques Torres cookies that I made so carefully and agonized about were made with NO baking powder and twice the amount of baking soda the recipe calls for.  And now I don't know what to think.  Why is my life like this?

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Haha 6