• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

2 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

More than happy to 😁 - originally, I found the recipe on King Arthur - titled something like Lemon Coconut Filled Bundt Cake ? - I don’t like lemon and I didn’t like their instructions and I always think a coconut cake should be made with coconut milk (theirs wasn’t) ... so here are *my* instructions and it hasn’t failed me yet ... 🤞🏻 

1 10” Bundt Pan

BAKE
50 mins. to 55 mins.

Ingredients

FILLING
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 ounces ( 1/2 C )confectioners' sugar 
1tsp coconut flavor OR 2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut 
1/2 ounce (2 Tbsp) All-Purpose Flour

CAKE
8 ounces unsalted butter
14 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon salt*
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
12 3/4 ounces All-Purpose Flour
8 ounces (1 C ) milk (sub unsweetened coconut milk) 
1tsp coconut extract
*Use just 1/2 teaspoon salt if you're using salted butter.

GLAZE
1tsp  coconut extract
5 1/4 ounces sugar
(maybe coconut milk or regular milk to thin if needed)

Instructions
To make the filling: Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl until the mixture is soft and fluffy.

Add the confectioners' sugar, and beat at high speed until the mixture forms stiff peaks. When you scoop some up in a spoon, it should hold its shape easily.

Stir in the coconut flavor or vanilla.

Toss the coconut with the flour, and add to the egg white mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined. Set it aside while you make the cake.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a a 10", 10-cup capacity bundt-style pan, or 10" tube pan. 

*MIX BUNDT CAKE INGREDIENTS LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO! COMBINE FLOUR SALT BAKING POWDER. - BEAT SUGAR / BUTTER TIL REALLY FLUFFY / ALMOST WHITE - ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME JUST TIL COMBINED THEN ADD EXTRACT WITH LAST EGG ... ADD 1/3 OF FLOUR - 1/3 OF MILK - 1/3 OF FLOUR 1/3 OF MILK ETC - END WITH FLOUR ...

Spoon about 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. You want to add enough to cover the bottom, and start to come up the sides; but not so much that you don't have enough left over to cover the filling.

Distribute the stiff filling atop the batter, centering it within the ring of batter so it doesn't touch the sides of the pan. Pat it down gently.

Dollop the remaining batter on top, again smoothing it with a spatula.

Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the extract, and sugar - add coconut milk to thin if desired. Set it aside.

Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. (I usually give my pan a good thump and it comes right out - normally, for a bundt, it for 10 minutes then turn it out - but this one - 5 minutes - turn it over - whack it - it’s out *shrugs* - according to the guys - delicious warm and cold) 

*sorry for the weird instructions - I had just sent this to a friend of mine who doesn’t bake often and I just copy and pasted ... 

Thank you so much!  This looks wonderful - I can't wait to make it!

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you so much!  This looks wonderful - I can't wait to make it!

You are quite welcome Kim - I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does 😁

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Catered a luncheon for the local Chamber of Commerce.  The dessert I am pushing here lately is tiramisu since it is always simple and light for the heat this time of year.  I hand make the mascarpone cheese and the ladyfingers and use ground chocolate-flavored coffee beans in the simple syrup for soaking the ladyfingers.  Finish it with a 3-cocoa blend from KAF that I really like.  One of my favorite desserts to make.  Had a lot of people tell me they like that it does not taste like the same old same old tiramisu you see in stores or at other catered events (read, from Sysco frozen haha).

Tiramisu.thumb.jpg.5a9c0b94e385ad94d72df4f06b2ceb18.jpg 

Tiramisu.pdf

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

Catered a luncheon for the local Chamber of Commerce.  The dessert I am pushing here lately is tiramisu since it is always simple and light for the heat this time of year.  I hand make the mascarpone cheese and the ladyfingers and use ground chocolate-flavored coffee beans in the simple syrup for soaking the ladyfingers.  Finish it with a 3-cocoa blend from KAF that I really like.  One of my favorite desserts to make.  Had a lot of people tell me they like that it does not taste like the same old same old tiramisu you see in stores or at other catered events (read, from Sysco frozen haha).

Looks good! I turn my nose up at tradition with tiramisu and don't use any cocoa powder on top at all. I get a piece of dark chocolate nice and cold and use a super fine grater to grate the chocolate over the top. It's almost fine enough to look like cocoa powder until you get real close. People in my area seem to like it better than the cocoa powder. Or did like it better, haven't been catering for a long time now. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

29 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Looks good! I turn my nose up at tradition with tiramisu and don't use any cocoa powder on top at all. I get a piece of dark chocolate nice and cold and use a super fine grater to grate the chocolate over the top. It's almost fine enough to look like cocoa powder until you get real close. People in my area seem to like it better than the cocoa powder. Or did like it better, haven't been catering for a long time now. :D

Yep, I hear you.  I like the shaved chocolate too.

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

@Merry Berry Those slices look really good - do you put gelatin in the mascarpone mix?  I've never had it sit up so well without it.

Yes, I make a mascarpone mousse with a bombe mixture heated to 165, add the gelatin sheets and fold in the mascarpone.  Then fold in the whipped cream.  It sets it up nicely, but not overly so (it is still light and airy without being too rigid).  I typically have to keep it frozen since it will start to sag over time in the cooler.

• Like 1

Been awhile, but this weekend I decided to make a Gugelhupf. There are a lot of stories about this cake’s origin, but this is my favorite. It’s said that on the way home from honoring the baby Jesus, the three Magi passed through what is now France, where they met a potter who opened his home to them.

In order to pay him for his generosity, they took a pot he had just made (which looked like there turbans), and using ingredients they had, baked a cake for him. When the potter awoke the next morning, he found his guests gone, but the cake there.

C5C9E086-E509-406B-970E-04F13F0D98A6.jpeg

34C86BA4-62E0-4770-BBF1-D50BD7749601.jpeg

31622B67-8621-47EB-937E-6766D0CD94FE.jpeg

89E87486-BCB2-41F9-A121-F5E0015E1912.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Another catering event.  This time, just a simple Vanilla Bundt cake with mixed berries and lemon glaze.  Again, this time of year in the heat and humidity, something light and simple is preferable.  All of it (2 cakes) was gone by the time the luncheon was over.  Always happy with no waste!!

20190806_111221.thumb.jpg.04c1f3a2054b63123e5d86de8e64506e.jpg

• Like 10

It was Mr. Kim's BD yesterday and he requested Lemon Icebox Pie.  I just saw it made on Pioneer Woman, so I gave that recipe a try.  Pie and slice:

DSCN9961.JPG.7e4f7f1e6a77e8844b335182a892d786.JPG

DSCN9963.JPG.3905d721f7bde353d4caecdc631173f3.JPG

It was very good - light, refreshing, and really tasty -  but we all agreed that there was too much whipped cream to lemon filling.  I’ll adjust that next time.  Also, I’ll add just one drop of yellow food coloring to the lemon filling – it was so pale that you couldn’t see where it ended and the whipped cream began. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My never-fail recipe for lemon icebox pie:

2 cans condensed milk

5 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

Beat well. Pour into graham cracker crumb crust and bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Cool and top with whipped cream, lightly sweetened. Makes 2 pies.

Very little is any simpler, or any better. The egg yolks also do away with the coloring issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

CINNAMON ROLLS - Extra-large.

Overnight dough in Bread machine (a new for testing) on Dough cycle.  The 100° daytime temps make doing this during the day, impossible.

Prepped, shaped and set to rise at 4:55 a.m.

Oven preheated to 400°F.

Into the oven at  5:22 a.m.

Finished at 5:50 a.m.

Ready for tasting at 6:00 a.m. exactly.

292359789_CINNAMONROLLS81819.thumb.jpg.8ad402f8a48fad6c5664f308d9af2f93.jpg

HPIM3815.thumb.jpg.c06dd4ae70e05f834efd602fc67b676e.jpg

HPIM3816.thumb.jpg.c747dfdbed4efe27da54c1a121a01a79.jpg

HPIM3817.thumb.jpg.f7279a19f161a18ebafd355d6dd148c3.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 8/15/2019 at 8:26 PM, kayb said:

2 cans condensed milk

5 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

Beat well. Pour into graham cracker crumb crust and bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Cool and top with whipped cream, lightly sweetened. Makes 2 pies.

Very little is any simpler, or any better. The egg yolks also do away with the coloring issue.

Can this pie (minus the whipped cream on top) be frozen?

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Not, @kayb, but mine (with the whipped cream) is actually supposed to be frozen.  It still tastes fine.  I was a bit surprised.

Thank you!!!  I think I'll throw one in the freezer then.  It'll be nice to have a dessert ready :) 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, kayb said:

2 cans condensed milk

5 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

I wonder if lime juice could be subbed for lemon.  I've done this with a lemon cheese pie.  

ps.  I'd be more likely to top it with a dark chocolate ganache than whipped cream.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

I wonder if lime juice could be subbed for lemon.

Lime juice works great, my late wife always made them with lime because she liked it better than the lemon version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Since I made several batches of @ninagluck's egg nog, I had a lot of leftover egg whites.  I.do.not.do.egg.white.omelettes.🤮.

I found a recipe for Estonian egg white cake Munavalgekook from @Pille 's site Nami Nami (in English).  It uses 6 whites at a time!

I find it a hybrid between angel food and pound cake.  I may have over cooked it a minute or two, but the inside was tender, the outside crisp.   I like it very much.   It appears it will freeze well also.  I plan on using up the remaining egg whites with more batches of this recipe.

I don't have a bundt pan so I used some small springforms I bought for my Instant Pot, but never used.

IMG_8294 3.jpg

IMG_8293.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I wonder if lime juice could be subbed for lemon.  I've done this with a lemon cheese pie.  

ps.  I'd be more likely to top it with a dark chocolate ganache than whipped cream.

You can indeed use lime juice. I have, in fact, juiced Key limes and made Key lime pie by this recipe (and was astounded at how many Key limes it took to generate 3/4 cup of juice.

I have even used (thawed) frozen orange juice concentrate, mixed 1-1 with water instead of the conventional 3:1 to make the orange flavor more intense. I suspect one could use any sort of fruit juice or puree, though I've never tried.

H'mmm. Bet it'd be good with fresh peach puree. And I have peaches on the counter. 

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've never tasted a Key lime for real.  I don't think we get them in Ontario...well, we don't get them in Peterborough for sure.   The orange sounds promising also.  

Next thing I know, some eGer from Toronto is going to announce that they can buy Key Limes...:P:P

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.