• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

On 7/1/2019 at 1:35 AM, shain said:

Thanks. 

For the batter you need: 

2 eggs

200 ml (1 cup) milk (whole milk. If skim, replace water below with more milk) 

300 ml water 

200 grams flour 

1-2 tsp butter

1/2 tsp salt

1tsp salt 

Blend all together. 

Get a well heated pan, lighlty brushed with fat. Pour just enough batter to cover it, lift and rotate the pan to spread evenly.

You can cook from one side only, then set aside. But I like to flip and fry the second size for a few secs. 

@shain  Thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 2:22 PM, Anna N said:

These definitely appeal to me but I’m not into cutting out cookies with cookie cutters and my experience with slicing rolled cookies has always been abysmal. So I’m wondering how easy you found these to slice. Did they have a tendency to  crumble? Did they deform as you sliced?  I am sure it is operator error but after struggling with Dorie Greenspan‘s World Peace cookies I swore I would never try this again. But these do look good. Thanks. 

If it makes you feel any better, the World Peace Cookies are notorious for not slicing neatly. Sometimes they do, but more often they'll crumble a bit, or the slices will fall apart, or the roll will self-destruct as you're in the process of slicing. And it isn't just me that says so; Dorie herself admits it!

Just use a scale when you make the dough, to minimize any variation in the amount of dry ingredients, and go with it. If any cookies fall apart, push them back together and bake them. If the roll falls apart, push it back together and carry on!

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

As I have no eggs in the house, yet felt a need for brownies, I did some research and found that one small banana, mashed (1/4c) would be a suitable replacement for one egg. It was either that or unsweetened applesauce (no ground flaxseed on hand) and I figured the banana flavor would be OK with chocolate. It was Ghiradelli mix from the pantry, so not a big investment. I baked the brownies for the max recommended time and they were a bit underdone in the center to my taste. The banana taste is very faint, will see if DH notices...since I don’t plan to tell him.😏

Edit to add, the next day, no banana taste.

8750D11E-58F5-4E26-8B48-36FA2909EDC2.jpeg

Edited by BeeZee
Add photo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Cheese kugel. Toasted pasta with fromage blanc. Dried apricots, marzipan.

IMG_20190621_204211.thumb.jpg.96710f48c9d28375b404d3d1bd5a0828.jpgIMG_20190621_204107.thumb.jpg.aa8bf854fd350046ff5e3efdb53b25a2.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to find decent apricots in the market tomorrow. I still have half a batch unbaked, and I'd like to add some to it.

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

Since it's Spiderman weekend for the movie, I decided to make some Spidey Macs, with a few Deadpool.

Also Birthday cake Macs with the leftover blue.

3C5B2FD4-F642-4DCB-B458-CFD57603A15D.jpeg

434250C1-503F-44F9-A331-D4488C0385B7.jpeg

E5BEA9DF-9066-40B6-836E-26C47752CF8F.jpeg

• Like 16

How very cool!

What's the going rate for macarons? A cupcake shop here makes them. Decent sized -- between 1.5 and 2 inches in diameter. Charges $4.50 apiece for them. I was mildly astounded.

• Confused 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

How very cool!

What's the going rate for macarons? A cupcake shop here makes them. Decent sized -- between 1.5 and 2 inches in diameter. Charges $4.50 apiece for them. I was mildly astounded.

Probably depends on the area. For regular ones, I charge $2.50. More elaborate decoration like these, probably $3.50. I buy them in Seattle when I visit, and I pay $2.50 at LePanier in the market. 

This is inspired by Aachener Printen. I changed the recipe a little, first, because I wanted to experiment, and then, where I live, it is impossible to find zuckerrübensirup, only on Amazon, so I used honey, which made these cookies less dense and more sticky. Potash, that the recipe calls for, is much more effective leavener here than baking soda that is listed as a substitute for potash.

DSCN4891.JPG

• Like 5

The latest sugar shenanigans for work - treats for a coffee cart to kick off an annual fundraising drive and get the building into a giving mood:

IMG-0237.thumb.JPG.022276b552366c3ae85aa3b2118e255b.JPG

Serious Eats cutout cookies augmented with orange, lemon and lime zest and lots of crystallized orange, lemon and lime, which also went into the royal icing for extra citrusness; macarons in passionfruit and espresso (though not nearly as gorgeous as @RWood's!); little chocolate bars with a layer of peanut butter meltaway spiked with a mess of Rice Krispies, a sheet of @Kerry Beal's chewy caramel from EGCI, and a thin layer of marshmallow; and a rustic but delicious cookie with oats, coconut, chocolate chips, pecans and a hint of cinnamon - the recipe was printed in our local paper many years ago - probably more than 20 - and I have never seen it anywhere else online or otherwise.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Patty

25 minutes ago, patris said:

and a rustic but delicious cookie with oats, coconut, chocolate chips, pecans and a hint of cinnamon - the recipe was printed in our local paper many years ago - probably more than 20 - and I have never seen it anywhere else online or otherwise.

Not that I’m saying there is anything wrong with your other offerings but I would be wolfing down these. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not that I’m saying there is anything wrong with your other offerings but I would be wolfing down these. 

They are something else. Most of my recipes are stored on some device or other - either on a website or in a Kindle cookbook - but this is one of the few that only lives on paper, which is why I tend to forget about it for years at a time. I am always delighted anew when I dig it out and bake up a batch!

• Like 4

Patty

On 7/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, kayb said:

Wow, that's a lot!  I think average price here is around $2 each, with some shops up to $3.

So I did ended up making a second apricot kugel earlier this week.

It uses the same batter of toasted pasta and cheese, but cooked in the style of an upside down cake.

IMG_20190621_204459.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

I had a few different fruits that were approaching or at their peak, so:

8VTRBJb.jpg

An apricot, blueberry and fig crisp. One of the simplest desserts, and a great way to use up expiring fruits. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sister Pie. The recipe can be found online in a blog post at this link

IMG_1092.thumb.jpg.6539653ae3ef8f2bd527e991737657e5.jpg

Not that it makes any difference to me, but this recipe uses all buckwheat flour so they are gluten free.   

I bought my whole grain buckwheat flour from a local mill and it is fairly light in color as are my cookies when compared to some I've see that were baked with Bob's Red Mill buckwheat flour.  See the photos in the link above for the difference. 

The recipe calls for using a 1/4 cup scoop, mine are probably about half that size.  

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sister Pie. 

Love to get your opinion on taste and texture. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/7/2019 at 6:17 PM, David Ross said:

I'm not sure how long they can go but it's long.  When I was a teenager I went to work for an older lady who had a small horse farm east of Salem, Oregon where we lived.  It was set on a hill and there was a long white picket fence running on the north side.  The weather isn't overly harsh there and the fence row got sun all day and wasn't protected from rain by trees.  She had some rhubarb plants along the fence row and one of my jobs was to cut it for her every spring.  Huge stalks of bright red rhubarb.  I think it was there before she moved in and she lived there about 10 years and it was still there.  I think one of her secrets was to fertilize it with horse manure which gave it plenty of nutrients to keep going on.

I don't think a century or more is out of the question. My father and I dug up and relocated my grandmother's rhubarb patch after it had been in place for 60 years or so, and it was going STRONG despite an absolute lack of maintenance. There were roots in there that looked like tree stumps, about half the size of a grown man.

The rhubarb continued to flourish in its new location for the next few years, and presumably still does. The house was sold after my grandmother died in 2008, and is no longer in the family.

As/when my GF and I buy/build our place in the country, a rhubarb patch and a couple beds of asparagus will be among the first things to go in.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Crepes.

- Lemon sugar.

- Ricotta and lightly cooked cherries (pictured).

- Caramel, hazelnuts, vanilla, white chocolate, milk powder - blended smooth.

Fried twice to be extra crisp.

IMG_20190706_214418_1.jpg

IMG_20190706_215006.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

So, my mom buys about 4lbs of strawberries, then says, "we gotta do something with these" 🙄. We means me 🤨.  So, I remembered seeing a quick recipe on Smitten Kitchen for a summer strawberry cake.  Came out pretty good. Warm with vanilla ice cream. Just cake batter with a bunch of strawberries thrown on top. Be good for a picnic. 

FA1CABF1-2B2A-4F96-8CD9-371E4EDB7D00.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

I don’t have a photo but I made a coconut pound cake with coconut filling the other day ... it turned out beautifully (and it also “turned out” beautifully ha! ) My guys loved it - it is a favorite of theirs - that and buttermilk pound cake ... I guess sometimes it is the simple things in life ... 😋

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

14 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

I don’t have a photo but I made a coconut pound cake with coconut filling the other day ... it turned out beautifully (and it also “turned out” beautifully ha! ) My guys loved it - it is a favorite of theirs - that and buttermilk pound cake ... I guess sometimes it is the simple things in life ... 😋

Any kind of coconut sweet is a favorite around our house!  I'd love to have the recipe, if you care to share it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Any kind of coconut sweet is a favorite around our house!  I'd love to have the recipe, if you care to share it.

More than happy to 😁 - originally, I found the recipe on King Arthur - titled something like Lemon Coconut Filled Bundt Cake ? - I don’t like lemon and I didn’t like their instructions and I always think a coconut cake should be made with coconut milk (theirs wasn’t) ... so here are *my* instructions and it hasn’t failed me yet ... 🤞🏻 

1 10” Bundt Pan

BAKE
50 mins. to 55 mins.

Ingredients

FILLING
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 ounces ( 1/2 C )confectioners' sugar 
1tsp coconut flavor OR 2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut 
1/2 ounce (2 Tbsp) All-Purpose Flour

CAKE
8 ounces unsalted butter
14 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon salt*
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
12 3/4 ounces All-Purpose Flour
8 ounces (1 C ) milk (sub unsweetened coconut milk) 
1tsp coconut extract
*Use just 1/2 teaspoon salt if you're using salted butter.

GLAZE
1tsp  coconut extract
5 1/4 ounces sugar
(maybe coconut milk or regular milk to thin if needed)

Instructions
To make the filling: Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl until the mixture is soft and fluffy.

Add the confectioners' sugar, and beat at high speed until the mixture forms stiff peaks. When you scoop some up in a spoon, it should hold its shape easily.

Stir in the coconut flavor or vanilla.

Toss the coconut with the flour, and add to the egg white mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined. Set it aside while you make the cake.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a a 10", 10-cup capacity bundt-style pan, or 10" tube pan. 

*MIX BUNDT CAKE INGREDIENTS LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO! COMBINE FLOUR SALT BAKING POWDER. - BEAT SUGAR / BUTTER TIL REALLY FLUFFY / ALMOST WHITE - ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME JUST TIL COMBINED THEN ADD EXTRACT WITH LAST EGG ... ADD 1/3 OF FLOUR - 1/3 OF MILK - 1/3 OF FLOUR 1/3 OF MILK ETC - END WITH FLOUR ...

Spoon about 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. You want to add enough to cover the bottom, and start to come up the sides; but not so much that you don't have enough left over to cover the filling.

Distribute the stiff filling atop the batter, centering it within the ring of batter so it doesn't touch the sides of the pan. Pat it down gently.

Dollop the remaining batter on top, again smoothing it with a spatula.

Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the extract, and sugar - add coconut milk to thin if desired. Set it aside.

Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. (I usually give my pan a good thump and it comes right out - normally, for a bundt, it for 10 minutes then turn it out - but this one - 5 minutes - turn it over - whack it - it’s out *shrugs* - according to the guys - delicious warm and cold) 

*sorry for the weird instructions - I had just sent this to a friend of mine who doesn’t bake often and I just copy and pasted ... 

Edited by CatIsHungry
Removing erroneous text (log)
  • Thanks 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Ahh I have not posted goodies in a while, it's always so inspiring to see what everyone here makes and concoct:-).

Strawberry madness cake, everything strawberry, cake, filling and buttercream.

Sour cream chocolate cake with chocolate mousse, I did this at work, but only because i was craving a multilayer chocolate cake!!😋

Black Raspberries jam, we moved to a new house and there are tons of raspberries, so good!

Cornetti, or croissant, always a big hit, at work and home.

Umm I think this weekend I should try something new 😁

20190619_154140.jpg

20190614_152746.jpg

20190712_071806.jpg

20190606_081936.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Vanessa