• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Japanese cheese cake. It was decent, quite tall and flavorfull, but it wasn't fluffy enough, and next time I'll replace the milk with yogurt for extra tanginess.

IMG_20190608_223230_1.jpg

IMG_20190608_223650.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

We were always throwing away bananas that had just gotten too ripe, but banana bread has become a solution that we both enjoy. As soon as I have three that are over the hill they either go into the freezer or come out of the freezer and end up here.

HC

IMG_0383.thumb.JPG.590ef85e9c9c98148fe32e6591dd9126.JPG

IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.0ba1f25559668044028bcd03b4f552a0.JPGIMG_0407.thumb.JPG.b8548eb78a6206337397d9e41b01cbec.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, HungryChris said:

We were always throwing away bananas that had just gotten too ripe, but banana bread has become a solution that we both enjoy. As soon as I have three that are over the hill they either go into the freezer or come out of the freezer and end up here.

HC

IMG_0383.thumb.JPG.590ef85e9c9c98148fe32e6591dd9126.JPG

I do the same thing.  I joke that I know it is time to make some banana bread when I open the freezer and frozen bananas fall out.  What is the frosting?  Looks good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I do the same thing.  I joke that I know it is time to make some banana bread when I open the freezer and frozen bananas fall out.  What is the frosting?  Looks good.

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

" Its the frosting that makes the cake . "

I said that.

We tried it with and without frostings of a few types and have both decided that cream cheese frosting is the only way to go.

HC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@HungryChris

Im not a fan of BB.

probably Ive never had one that wasn't a bit soggy

a sort of Let's get rid of this , and make that

for me the That was not thought out too well

but , I do like the looks of your BB !

Id like those who use Fz or not old B's 

to consider :  what might mike your BB tastier and more interesting ?

with very little trouble to you 

Spices , that you have ?

Cinnamon , freshly greater Nutmeg   [ the great sleeper of all spices ]

and Id suggest 

a thicker layer of Frosting.

I do like the CS as a starter

a bit of Rum or Rhum ?

suprise.gif.58de37be239a234e476e8d6e4a7431b8.gif

money-mouth.gif.b3862e703cd31307a19ef08dd4027559.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

Im not a fan of BB.

probably Ive never had one that wasn't a bit soggy

a sort of Let's get rid of this , and make that

for me the That was not thought out too well

but , I do like the looks of your BB !

Id like those who use Fz or not old B's 

to consider :  what might mike your BB tastier and more interesting ?

with very little trouble to you 

Spices , that you have ?

Cinnamon , freshly greater Nutmeg   [ the great sleeper of all spices ]

and Id suggest 

a thicker layer of Frosting.

I do like the CS as a starter

a bit of Rum or Rhum ?

suprise.gif.58de37be239a234e476e8d6e4a7431b8.gif

money-mouth.gif.b3862e703cd31307a19ef08dd4027559.gif

I have often thought that rum would be a natural in BB, but because it goes into the office with Deb, I'd have to be careful to keep them apart, if you know what I mean.

I am not against adding a few additional spices, as an experiment and will probably do so in the near future. We do like the basic BB, however.

HC

• Like 5

On 6/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Here are the 3 remaining shortbread cookie variations from Sister Pie, all slice & bake. 

I got a surprise from my mom a couple days ago--she's been seeing all of your wonderful creations from this book and she decided I needed to have it :)  I am getting ready to peruse it right now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I got a surprise from my mom a couple days ago--she's been seeing all of your wonderful creations from this book and she decided I needed to have it :)  I am getting ready to peruse it right now.

How sweet!  I borrowed Sister Pie from the library and have been trying to give it a workout before it goes back on Saturday.  The other day, I sent my cousin home with a package of shortbread cookies. She later texted me that she thought I should have the book so she's ordering me a copy!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

How sweet!  I borrowed Sister Pie from the library and have been trying to give it a workout before it goes back on Saturday.  The other day, I sent my cousin home with a package of shortbread cookies. She later texted me that she thought I should have the book so she's ordering me a copy!

You need to be getting royalties ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Chocolate chip cookies. Crisp all the way through, no place chewy cookies in my house. I think that I'm finally happy with my recipe, it took some tweaking to get right (the balance of baking soda and powder, some milk chocolate in addition to dark, toasted oat flour in the dough). I also made a batch with caramelized peanuts and bagel sticks.

IMG_20190609_231855.jpg

123.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

From Sister Pie, this is the Apricot Raspberry Rose Galette. 

I went cherry picking earlier this week so I subbed in a mix of Rainier and Bing cherries for the raspberries.  The crust is the Cornmeal Rose Galette dough, an all butter crust with cornmeal and rose petals added to the usual ingredients.  It also uses a thin layer of cream cheese spread under the fruit.  

Pre-bake:

IMG_1058.thumb.jpg.9ad6ca644b5a6b0bc886531bfa8b262c.jpg

The recipe said to bake @ 425°F for 25 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F and continue to bake for an hour.  I pulled this out 30 minutes into that hour and wish I'd gotten to it sooner.  

Post-bake: 

711124083_IMG_1063(1).thumb.jpg.a243c208d15a748e6add6863c0f46a60.jpg

My cousins stopped by for a 10 AM coffee break.  There is no more left.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

On 6/26/2019 at 9:10 AM, Kim Shook said:

It is worse when you have 3 refrigerators at home and all 3 are filled with bananas falling on the floor from the freezer.  My wife takes a dim view on them doing that, for some weird reason haha.

Besides banana bread, one of my favorite uses for it, is a Bananas Fosters molded white chocolate bonbon.  It is a hit everywhere I take them

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

It is worse when you have 3 refrigerators at home and all 3 are filled with bananas falling on the floor from the freezer.  My wife takes a dim view on them doing that, for some weird reason haha.

Besides banana bread, one of my favorite uses for it, is a Bananas Fosters molded white chocolate bonbon.  It is a hit everywhere I take them

Could you describe how you make the filling for your Bananas Foster?

7 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Could you describe how you make the filling for your Bananas Foster?

Sure, but credit goes to lebowits since I am pretty sure I use a recipe he posted on here once.  I want all the starch in the bananas to be converted to sugar, so I use bananas that are oozing sugar syrup.  So they basically are all black and look terrible, but are delicious to use.  His version just called for medium ripe.

2 bananas, black and oozing syrup

1 vanilla bean, scraped

150 g walnuts

325 g dark brown sugar

225 g white chocolate, melted

25 g butter, soft

80 g dark rum

1. Process the bananas and walnuts in a food processor until the fruit is smooth and the nuts well chopped

2. Melt the sugar in a pot with the scraped vanilla and slowly bring to a boil

3. Add the banana and walnut mixture to the pot and continue to cook for several minutes, stirring to thoroughly combine

4. Take the pot off the heat and add the butter, stirring to combine

5. Add the sugar mixture to the melted chocolate and mix to combine

6. Allow the mixture to cool to about 100F

7. Add the rum and combine

8. Allow to cool to room temp

Pipe into molded white chocolate shells and seal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@shain  I haven't had those in years.  Yours look delicious and prompted me to look for my recipe.  Which naturally, I no longer seem to have!  ☹️

Thanks. 

For the batter you need: 

2 eggs

200 ml (1 cup) milk (whole milk. If skim, replace water below with more milk) 

300 ml water 

200 grams flour 

1-2 tsp butter

1/2 tsp salt

1tsp salt 

Blend all together. 

Get a well heated pan, lighlty brushed with fat. Pour just enough batter to cover it, lift and rotate the pan to spread evenly.

You can cook from one side only, then set aside. But I like to flip and fry the second size for a few secs. 

Edited by shain (log)

~ Shai N.

I'm not much of a baker. And I especially don't do pie dough, although my husband can. I make great brownies and a couple of good apple cakes and  two dependable types of cookie . But I've had this cartoonish recipe floating around for years and I realized the other day that if I don't hurry up and just get it over with I'll be dead before ever tasting it.

Some of you have no doubt made it or heard of it: Atlantic Beach Pie, from North Carolina. The pictures always look fabulous and the ingredients are downright silly. The crust is made with saltines, sugar and butter. The filling is made with egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lots of lemon juice. And that's it. I can't remember the last time I bought saltines; it must have been forty years ago....or more. My mother used to buy them to eat alongside chocolate ice cream. Yes, she was strange. As for condensed milk I went through a phase of making Viet iced coffee years ago, so I do remember what that's like. And I remember having it in tea in Mexico; always fun along with fresh made Mexican pastries. 

The recipe suggests topping the pie with whipped cream, a sprinkle of sea salt (it's Atlantic Beach Pie, after all) and lemon zest. I didn't have any whipped cream, so I simply salted and zested the top of the custard. Okay, this pie is addictive. It gets served cold, from the fridge and it so easy it's embarrassing. Also the recipe leaves you with bit less than half of a sleeve of saltines. They're really good. It's like discovering a new exotic cracker. I had no idea.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm not much of a baker. And I especially don't do pie dough, although my husband can. I make great brownies and a couple of good apple cakes and  two dependable types of cookie . But I've had this cartoonish recipe floating around for years and I realized the other day that if I don't hurry up and just get it over with I'll be dead before ever tasting it.

Some of you have no doubt made it or heard of it: Atlantic Beach Pie, from North Carolina.

How does your recipe compare to this version: Bill Smith's Atlantic Beach Pie?  I can tell the ingredients are the same as you indicated but not sure if the quantities and method are similar or not.

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Some of you have no doubt made it or heard of it: Atlantic Beach Pie, from North Carolina. The pictures always look fabulous and the ingredients are downright silly. The crust is made with saltines, sugar and butter. The filling is made with egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lots of lemon juice. And that's it. I can't remember the last time I bought saltines; it must have been forty years ago....or more. My mother used to buy them to eat alongside chocolate ice cream. Yes, she was strange. As for condensed milk I went through a phase of making Viet iced coffee years ago, so I do remember what that's like. And I remember having it in tea in Mexico; always fun along with fresh made Mexican pastries. 

The recipe suggests topping the pie with whipped cream, a sprinkle of sea salt (it's Atlantic Beach Pie, after all) and lemon zest. I didn't have any whipped cream, so I simply salted and zested the top of the custard. Okay, this pie is addictive. It gets served cold, from the fridge and it so easy it's embarrassing. Also the recipe leaves you with bit less than half of a sleeve of saltines. They're really good. It's like discovering a new exotic cracker. I had no idea.

I've made this pie all my life. 3 cans of condensed milk, 5 eggs or egg yolks, 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice, to make two pies. Baked about 40 minutes at 325F. I did always use a basic graham cracker crust, though. The Saltine crust is good with apple pie. If you just use the egg yolks, you can use the whites for meringue unless, like me, you are meringue-averse.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've made this pie all my life. 3 cans of condensed milk, 5 eggs or egg yolks, 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice, to make two pies. Baked about 40 minutes at 325F. I did always use a basic graham cracker crust, though. The Saltine crust is good with apple pie. If you just use the egg yolks, you can use the whites for meringue unless, like me, you are meringue-averse.

My husband claimed he would prefer a graham cracker crust. I can certainly see that. It's just that saltines are so funny.