• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

13 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Ice cream?

Yes, sorry. Honestly a new favourite flavour combo; I polished it off for breakfast with some biscuits, haha.

Thinking I might try for a coconut cardamom today...

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, jimb0 said:

Thinking I might try for a coconut cardamom today...

Finally got around to doing this. I steeped and blended some unsweetened coconut into 2% milk. Strained (kept the mush out and made a coconut curry with it for supper last night), added sugar, cream, ground cardamom, ground mace, about 10g of milk powder, and a pinch of salt. Outstanding flavour; together it almost has a lemongrass note (probably mostly due to the eucalyptol in the cardamom). 

B26F6CB0-8438-4223-BDD5-373DDB29304D.jpeg

• Like 10

More dough, more brioche.

Ricotta, sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla, poppy seeds, rum soaked raisins.

IMG_20190509_140854.thumb.jpg.f8fec7cb8bf7e6aeacaa1c6dd065d954.jpgIMG_20190506_213937.thumb.jpg.f10966de4342e549e2aa3cbec3df340e.jpg

Ricotta, Amarena cherries, dark chocolate, a hint of almond extract.

IMG_20190506_213458.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

More dough, more brioche.

Ricotta, sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla, poppy seeds, rum soaked raisins.

Ricotta, Amarena cherries, dark chocolate, a hint of almond extract.

Ed and I may just have to come and visit your kitchen one day....:wub:  You are an extraordinary baker. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 5/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, shain said:

Brioche with a filling of ricotta, mulberry, white chocolate and vanilla.

Mulberry season starts next week here, I'm happy, one of my favourites! Do you have the white ones where you live?

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Ed and I may just have to come and visit your kitchen one day....:wub:  You are an extraordinary baker. 

Thanks, you are too kind, I have much to improve yet. Regardless, It's a long flight, but you are always welcome :P 

~ Shai N.

56 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Mulberry season starts next week here, I'm happy, one of my favourites! Do you have the white ones where you live?

Our tree is of the Afghan variety, and it's season comes to an end. There are just a few white mulberry trees around, and a somewhat more of the black type.

There used to be a tree in almost every yard when I was younger - they used to plant them above the chickens cops for shade, back when almost every family had chickens.

Here's one from my tree, with my hand for scale. They are quite long.

IMG_20190509_182806.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

Wow, never seen such a big mulberry! Here the biggest ones reach 4 cm top, most trees give fruits that are less than 3 cm long. I know only one tree here that gives the white ones, they are my favourite, such sweetness and fragrance! Mulberries are totally forgotten and overlooked here, there are plenty of trees in the fields, but nobody harvest mulberries anymore. There's a long bicycle path that is surrounded by mulberry trees, when in season the asphalt becomes purple, yet people keep their eyes on their smartphones, really sad.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

If all goes well tomorrow - I will be making “my*” Coconut Filled Coconut Bundt Cake tomorrow ... 

*Its not mine - It’s a recipe on King Arthur Flour and it’s delicious. I sub the milk for coconut milk and don’t use lemon - I have an aversion to lemon. 

Coconut Filled Bundt Cake

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Had not made a patterned Joconde in quite a while so I made a hazelnut and chocolate mousse tort.  Came out a little rough, but overall happy since it had been a couple of years.  Rushed the freezing (or lack thereof) of the first mousse layer and the buttercream layer fell into it.  Great practice and look forward to making more!!

115714445_outsidetort.thumb.jpg.a0b6668ab31492cc6d7d345db01ec122.jpg

Chocolate spongecake base, patterned joconde, and ganache

1734057414_hazelnutchocolatemousse.jpg.fd0106defd12ef944c0bdcec012a77fb.jpg

Layers from bottom:  Chocolate spongecake, hazelnut praline feuillitine, chocolate mousse, Bailey's buttercream, Chocolate mousse, and ganache.  Spongecake did not really go well with it and will change it up in the future.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Made a cake for my mom's cousin. She loves basic white birthday cake, so I tried the WASC recipe for the first time. I only make scratch cakes, so using a mix is a no no for me. But, this actually tasted better then just a plain mix. The additions helped improve the texture greatly, didn't seem like a mix as much. She loved it though. 

I used the Ruby chocolate for the ganache drip since I was going for a pink color anyway.  

11B365CD-E9AB-45C2-8337-A421FF74BF16.jpeg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, RWood said:

Made a cake for my mom's cousin. She loves basic white birthday cake, so I tried the WASC recipe for the first time. I only make scratch cakes, so using a mix is a no no for me. But, this actually tasted better then just a plain mix. The additions helped improve the texture greatly, didn't seem like a mix as much. She loved it though. 

I used the Ruby chocolate for the ganache drip since I was going for a pink color anyway.  

11B365CD-E9AB-45C2-8337-A421FF74BF16.jpeg

I'm interested in this.  I've been on a decades-long hunt for a good white cake.  Can you direct me to the actual recipe you used and what adjustments it called for?  Thanks so much!

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm interested in this.  I've been on a decades-long hunt for a good white cake.  Can you direct me to the actual recipe you used and what adjustments it called for?  Thanks so much!

There are several versions of the WASC, check cakecentral.com and search for the original one by kakeladi.  I ended up using the one by Liz Marek on sugargeekshow.com. That one is different in that it has butter added, along with milk instead of water. If I were to use it again, personally, I would back off the additional sugar a little, and cut the almond extract in half. Kakeladi's seems to be loved by tons of people that have tried it. I might try it one day to see what all the fuss is about.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

I am weirdly proud of this. It's a simple mocha cake with praline walnuts underneath, for a very small kid's birthday

IMG_20190525_154801.jpg

My nearly 4 year old son would go ape sh!t for this!  He loves Peppa and Georgie pig.

Great job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

I am weirdly proud of this. It's a simple mocha cake with praline walnuts underneath, for a very small kid's birthday

IMG_20190525_154801.jpg

Doing the happy dance over here in VA!!!!  So glad to see you, @Panaderia Canadiense!!!!!!  I love your sweet, sweet cake, but I really just love seeing you back!!!  You were very much missed - I've been perusing the old food blogs lately and loved rereading yours.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Doing the happy dance over here in VA!!!!  So glad to see you, @Panaderia Canadiense!!!!!!  I love your sweet, sweet cake, but I really just love seeing you back!!!  You were very much missed - I've been perusing the old food blogs lately and loved rereading yours.  

Kim! I'm so glad to see you again!!! I've been thinking of doing another one...

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

12 minutes ago, Panaderia Canadiense said:

Kim! I'm so glad to see you again!!! I've been thinking of doing another one...

Oh wow!  @Panaderia Canadiense you are back!  I feared you'd been eaten by...by whatever it is that eats people in Ecuador.  Seriously you were missed.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou