• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Birthday cakes for myself and a friend. Abstract buttercream for me (one white, one chocolate raspberry) and a mini sorting hat for my friend. Coconut cake with coconut buttercream. 

4101C0CE-343C-4D39-9A57-09A0BE1A6113.jpeg

73C9C008-5364-4B29-B165-FF3B3F7FDB68.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps a little late for Epiphany, but here's this year's Galette des Rois.

255863235_GalettedesRois.thumb.jpg.fb2d9b923005c421e606c5aa681d14ae.jpg

Those vertical indentations are due to a technique I saw where a rack is positioned above the galette to stop the puff rising too much and doming. Not sure I'll bother in future. And next time I'll be little bolder with the scoring so the design is more apparent.

The pastry was an inverted puff. Highly recommended if you've never tried it; incomparably delicate and melting, and not as difficult to make as you might imagine (the butter is on the outside when laminating 😲).

1025268087_GalettedesRoisCut.thumb.jpg.ee9ce9f9672d4120734741d8300a6f0e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

8DC5AA72-176A-4503-BF74-21AE6BB324E2.thumb.jpeg.0b62c44f898af1a5bdae6edd7cd941ae.jpeg

Gluten-free buttertart bars for someone who chooses to be gluten-free and therefore was no challenge as far as contamination is concerned.  This was the first time that I used Bob’s Red Mill Cup 4 Cup flour mixture.

I think you could use cardboard as the base for buttertart squares and no one would really notice any difference in taste. I did notice some difference in texture. Since gluten development is not wanted in this kind of shortbread crust I think gluten-free flours can probably escape detection except by the most discerning.  

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/25/2019 at 6:53 PM, Pete Fred said:

Those vertical indentations are due to a technique I saw where a rack is positioned above the galette to stop the puff rising too much and doming. Not sure I'll bother in future. And next time I'll be little bolder with the scoring so the design is more apparent.

Really well done on the pastry work - it looks excellent.  

If you're unhappy with the rack, I'd suggest properly docking the galette all over with a fork - when I used to do them, they'd end up with a tight herringbone-type pattern.  This will help them stay nice and flat and elegant :) - especially with inverted, which will puff up massively if you leave it unchecked.

I can't tell whether you've done it on yours, but it's always a good idea to brush it with syrup at the end of the bake, then put it back in for a few minutes.  It gives it a really nice shine and makes the pastry a little more interesting to eat.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I'll do the docking next time and will try your patterning. 👍

It did get a light glaze - perhaps too light - but no return to the oven. Will be sure to do that next time. (Although next time will probably be next year, so don't hold your breath for an update. ☺️)

Gateau Basque. It's kind of a cake-tart hybrid, filled with either cherry jam or pastry cream (or sometimes both).

674340676_GateauBasque.thumb.jpg.3b0b234f8d2042034e0d5fc08a695339.jpg

The recipe is by Bruce Poole via "a good pastry chef" he employed from a three Michelin star restaurant. Perhaps that pastry chef got it from Pierre Herme because the recipes are very similar. The texture of the cake is a little shortbread-y, especially at the edge, and the pastry cream is made with semolina and flavoured with citrus, rum and vanilla. Most enjoyable.

• Like 17

There were some leftovers from the the last couple of bakes so, continuing the French theme, I made pailles (puff pastry "straws")...

Pailles.thumb.jpg.f9c835d2b1bd99866fa7408570fd6ab7.jpg

filled them with either raspberry confiture or crème pâtissière...

1613067199_Pailles(Filled).thumb.jpg.797d9795a138ec332452cdef148cf799.jpg

and turned the last few pastry scraps into almond and ginger arlettes...

Arlettes.jpg.3a7e6c070feefa8d0e702bf25ed06a2f.jpg

• Like 20

Just made Julia Turshen's blackberry/raspberry cobbler as both fruits were on sale this week.  Wow....only thing is I didn't have lemons for zest or peel so subbed in toast dope to toss the berries in.  Even Johnnybird liked it!!

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My mad Gallic tear continues with a Kouign Amann (Breton Butter Cake).

491543717_KouignAmann.thumb.jpg.517a7866d562b85f659fdc16e1fb0637.jpg

I prefer the traditional large type rather than individual kouignettes, which seems to put me at odds with the current fashion, especially on Instagram. For me, the slices taste more buttery and have a better texture.

1568577368_KouignAmannSlice.thumb.jpg.f5b04926dd775053064d93e3b0651851.jpg

• Like 16

57 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

My mad Gallic tear continues with a Kouign Amann (Breton Butter Cake).

491543717_KouignAmann.thumb.jpg.517a7866d562b85f659fdc16e1fb0637.jpg

I prefer the traditional large type rather than individual kouignettes, which seems to put me at odds with the current fashion, especially on Instagram. For me, the slices taste more buttery and have a better texture.

1568577368_KouignAmannSlice.thumb.jpg.f5b04926dd775053064d93e3b0651851.jpg

I'll eat them in whatever shape I can get them.  They look yummy.

• Like 1

Ok, I decided to do some experimentation today. I took my recipe for Almond shortbread, and replaced the almond meal with toasted Pecans ground to a powder. The bottom is not burnt, I brushed the bottoms with beaten egg, and dipped them in raw turbinado sugar, and baked them like that. I tried to use a cookie stamp on them, but I ended up destroying three trying to get them off.

E5ABE8AD-62CB-4E3D-9F2E-69D957D06C90.jpeg

EEBF9B2C-F11E-4EB2-B9BE-CEAA90145AE6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

The latest iteration of my office confections is one of the most popular with my colleagues - chocolate clusters with heavily salted David Lebovitz's candied peanuts. These peanuts are daaaaangerous on their own, and in combination with chocolate they are one of the few things that really challenge my Keto resolve. So simple and so, so moreish.

Plastic food storage container full of caramelized peanuts

Chocolate nut clusters on white parchment paper

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Patty

13 minutes ago, patris said:

These peanuts are daaaaangerous on their own, and in combination with chocolate they are one of the few things that really challenge my Keto resolve. So simple and so, so moreish.

I can imagine them being completely lethal on their own without the chocolate. I will resist. I will resist.

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I can imagine them being completely lethal on their own without the chocolate. I will resist. I will resist.

Resistance is futile!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Patty

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I will resist. I will resist.

I won't... recipe bookmarked! :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I had some - then I had some more...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Dear God, my all time favorite combination - peanuts and chocolate!  

ETA - LOL - I went to bookmark the recipe and realized I made these almost 11 years ago!  I loved them and saved the recipe on my webpage.  But I didn't think to coat them in chocolate.    Must try that!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4

Going through more of my eG archives looking for some ideas for pastries to make for Easter.  Well, I came upon our Apple Cook-off and found this recipe and instrk uctions I did for making apple fritters.  I don't eat many donuts these days and this one takes a lot of steps and work, but I'm thinking it would all be worth it for Easter.

apple fritter finished.jpg

https://forums.egullet.org /topic/149304-eg-cook-off-67-apples/?do=findComment&comment=1992673

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Going through more of my eG archives looking for some ideas for pastries to make for Easter.  Well, I came upon our Apple Cook-off and found this recipe and instrk uctions I did for making apple fritters.  I don't eat many donuts these days and this one takes a lot of steps and work, but I'm thinking it would all be worth it for Easter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

My favorite and there is nowhere where I live to get a decent apple fritter.  These are making my mouth water as I look at the picture.  If you didn't live so far away, I would be pounding on your front door.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Interesting topic because this sweet loving family had no Easter pastry traditions. I think it was accepted that the kids got to "pig out" on their Easter finds and the adults sorted through the remains ala Halloween :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Easter, for me, requires strawberries. My personal favorite is to make a basic pound cake, and serve macerated strawberries over that, with a sizeable dab of whipped cream.

Folks are starting to advertise pick-your-own strawberries south of me. We should have local berries in two or three weeks. And then I will eat strawberries daily until they're gone.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ahhhhhh... strawberries.  As I look out all I see is snow covered ground.  We are a long ways away.  I too eat them daily once they arrive, until the local ones are done.  I don't bother with the imported ones as it seems to me they are grown for size, not flavour.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1