• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Nice battenburg, @Matthew.Taylor :)

Another attempt with bergamot - as long as I keep finding them, I'm going to keep using them 😃

Milk chocolate, bergamot and orange cake

1238596299_Milkchocolatebergamotandorange.thumb.jpg.48599d8f109340bef3119719e10f3da5.jpg

Milk chocolate orange crunch

Orange marmalade

Sour bergamot curd

Milk chocolate and bergamot crémeux

Milk chocolate chantilly

Kumquat

Milk chocolate and bergamot work well together - try it!  The crémeux is just a curd, in which the butter is replaced by chocolate.

I've stumbled upon an excellent milk chocolate chantilly, as well.  1 part milk chocolate, 3 parts cream, 1% gelatin, leave to set overnight before whipping in a stand mixer.  It's like an extremely light buttercream, with much less sweetness.  I'll be using that again :)

• Like 17

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Made a batch of the well known Orange Creamsicle Cookies but flavored with lime zest instead of orange.  I believe @Anna N dubbed these Lime Bees when she made them. 

I made a few with the addition of some Ruby Cacao Wafers from Trader Joes in addition to the white chocolate chips the recipe calls for.  

IMG_0174.thumb.jpg.ea0880da131921778f2bc037e7c101df.jpg

The TJ's website post says they are not recommended for baking but they seem fine.  I'll try them in some chocolate cookies next.  

I'm curious if they mean they aren't good to use in a baked good where they get melted and incorporated into batter. They look quite striking in the cookies!

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

An obligation-free Sunday and a hoard of Ruby Cacao wafers from Trader Joe’s got me thinking about peanut butter meltaways - a favorite of just about everyone in my life, so I won’t have any trouble getting these addictive little suckers out of my house. The Ruby makes for a little PB&J vibe that definitely does not suck. And they’re great for dipping (tempered via EZTemper, of course) -  nice and fluid but not too fluid.

663B3B31-B8B1-456E-A67C-AE9102F2401B.thumb.jpeg.81ef96f5ea1ca91493a1520ca81d26b1.jpeg

• Like 13

Patty

43 minutes ago, patris said:

An obligation-free Sunday and a hoard of Ruby Cacao wafers from Trader Joe’s got me thinking about peanut butter meltaways

This is a post I was waiting for without even realizing it. I gave thought to covering meltaways in chocolate a while back mainly in the interest of making them easier to handle without having to coat them in powdered sugar and decided (without actually trying it... I know, shame on me) that it would probably inhibit the melty effect of the meltaways and never did it. Since I already know you wouldn't do it if the result wasn't good, I'm now giving new thought to it. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

26 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

This is a post I was waiting for without even realizing it. I gave thought to covering meltaways in chocolate a while back mainly in the interest of making them easier to handle without having to coat them in powdered sugar and decided (without actually trying it... I know, shame on me) that it would probably inhibit the melty effect of the meltaways and never did it. Since I already know you wouldn't do it if the result wasn't good, I'm now giving new thought to it. :D

I always dip them! Tempering the meltaway with EZTemper silk makes the texture so wonderfully melty that the chocolate is just a temporary barrier, especially with a relatively thin coating. Melts in your mouth, not in your hands, as they say...

• Like 1

Patty

41 minutes ago, patris said:

I always dip them! Tempering the meltaway with EZTemper silk makes the texture so wonderfully melty that the chocolate is just a temporary barrier, especially with a relatively thin coating. Melts in your mouth, not in your hands, as they say...

It's on the short list, I shall give it a try. Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Chocolate raspberry thumbprint cookies decorated with a drizzle of melted TJ's Ruby Cacao wafers

IMG_0185.thumb.jpg.87af07722889e85a0ef9f5b9913beab0.jpg

Very pretty.  Chocolate and raspberry is one of my most favorite combos.  Those look Valentine-y.   I'm gonna stalk TJ's to obtain the Ruby Cacao this week, if it's in this region.

Edited by lemniscate
if (log)
  • Thanks 1

Another Valentine-y cookie decorated with the TJ's Ruby Cacao: Cherry-Nut Chocolate Pinwheels

IMG_0189.thumb.jpg.e3773619bc4e19d7ba509eabc484ecd2.jpg

Both this recipe and the Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints that I posted yesterday are from Dorie's Cookies and made from the same Do-Almost-Everything Chocolate Cookie Dough which can be rolled and cut for simple chocolate cookies or used in one or more of the 4 variations in the book.

The filling in these is chopped dried sour cherries and walnuts, cooked with a bit of sugar and water until the syrup reduces.  

• Like 9

I made a batch of brown sugar spice cookies from Finecooking.  They are refrigerator cookies.  The log is brushed with egg white and rolled in chopped walnuts.  Delicious especially because I used fresh ground cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice..except .preground ginger.  No picture..my camera is down.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 4

Tried my hand at almond macaroons.   I need to work on it a bit.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

We had our annual Valentines Chocolate party last night.  

The white chocolate course was white chocolate ganache, raspberry pate de fruit, Callebaut crispearls and raspberries with a clear glaze.

03E6977C-6EA6-41C3-BD2C-4E8D21A65F7A.thumb.jpeg.b9bf80441c1930b55b1532587f5d52da.jpeg

second course was a milk milk chocolate tropical cake, with a passion fruit & orange filling and a passion fruit mascarpone icing

7A93D8BD-7594-447E-85BD-1935DE4E262B.thumb.jpeg.9fe4605d88b1c4fcfc5389cc431ec8fe.jpeg3BC7B40E-704B-4F85-9C48-6A485F07C4F4.thumb.jpeg.1e0432aa09a26dc4202669b2f84469b5.jpeg

(we weren’t quick enough for a photo without a piece missing.....sorry)

Third course I called Midnight Passion.  A Paul Young brownie, with salted caramel, caramel-peanut mousse, caramelized peanuts and a dash of whipped cream

50FAD8C5-D4BC-4AA6-BFB1-0B67F0804CD6.thumb.jpeg.b44f35090f7e1bc7185ed729651a2d4f.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1