• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Made my first batch of Paul Young brownies. First seen here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157568-chocdoc-and-eg-friends-in-lala-land/?do=findComment&comment=2177722.

Made them in a round pan since I did not have a small enough square pan -- they still taste like brownies 🙂.  Oh my, what a tasty brownie, this one beats my previous favorite fudgie brownie by a mile. Made these with 73% Becolade Noir Vietnam chocolate. Thank you @Kerry Beal for all your help!

Now to find out if the office loves these or hates them (tempting those with New Year's resolutions to abstain from sweets).  😉

IMG_5593-brownies-round-pan.jpg.a5d2b0a20ad3e13d77b05fd2c41392e1.jpgIMG_3019.jpg.03a8c4094f3cdf71ac67e8c44fe19bab.jpg

• Like 11

Christmas Eve desserts:

DSCN8953.JPG.c70ee976bc5d40fda31f522631ae7555.JPG

Toffee and Happy Accident Candy:

DSCN8954.JPG.5b47108a5d5e70114104998379ac665e.JPG

PB cookies, Nyackers gingersnaps, mocha cookies:

DSCN8955.JPG.e619f214ca462aaaa29636747d893e11.JPG

Sugar cookies:

DSCN8956.JPG.7e3e0accda4fd3eef163a1e9ad25734b.JPG

Sponge candy, peanut brittle, turtles:

DSCN8957.JPG.1237bdd94e62b984ab6d57b18c69f484.JPG

Cinnamon pecans:

DSCN8958.thumb.JPG.f8c3924d50457eaf896815a913cbd86e.JPG

Not pictured – lemon chess tarts, gluten free sugar cookies, chocolate fudge and Reeses Cup fudge.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

39 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Toffee and Happy Accident Candy:

Wonderful seasonal dishes....and what is Happy Accident Candy???

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Darienne said:

Wonderful seasonal dishes....and what is Happy Accident Candy???

Happy Accident candy is the shards and crumbs from breaking up the sponge candy mixed into leftover melted chocolate from making fudge.  I always saved the shards and crumbs, thinking they were too good to toss and that they could go on ice cream or something and then never used them.  But one day, I was putting away the extra chocolate from fudge-making and saw the bag of crumbs and had an epiphany.  Thus: Happy Accident Candy!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, curls said:

Made my first batch of Paul Young brownies. First seen here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157568-chocdoc-and-eg-friends-in-lala-land/?do=findComment&comment=2177722.

Made them in a round pan since I did not have a small enough square pan -- they still taste like brownies 🙂.  Oh my, what a tasty brownie, this one beats my previous favorite fudgie brownie by a mile. Made these with 73% Becolade Noir Vietnam chocolate. Thank you @Kerry Beal for all your help!

Now to find out if the office loves these or hates them (tempting those with New Year's resolutions to abstain from sweets).  😉

IMG_5593-brownies-round-pan.jpg.a5d2b0a20ad3e13d77b05fd2c41392e1.jpgIMG_3019.jpg.03a8c4094f3cdf71ac67e8c44fe19bab.jpg

Just don’t try and take them through TSA ......

Yet again I forgot to photograph the cookie platters for our holiday party, so I made a demo plate for (virtual) sharing.  We keep making the same assortment year after year because we can't agree to cut any of them.  

Sugar cookies (vanilla + lemon); Ginger Spice; Pistachio Cranberry shortbread (+ orange); Coffee Snaps; Spritz (vanilla + almond); Golden Bars (brown sugar & pecans); Meringues (peppermint + mini chocolate chips).  My daughter made this batch of meringues so tiny that it's tempting to grab them by the handful.

IMG_3257.thumb.JPG.445d0bb535d662b02dff90aa4e0d7975.JPG

We will not discuss how many of these cookies made it back into the tins.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Such CUTE little meringues! I made a ton one year, when I made eggnog and had a big bunch of whites left over. Wasn't making eggnog this year so I didn't make any.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I photographed today's dessert and went to put it up, noting the odd provenance:  My Blueberry Cobbler Recipe and then remembered that I had put together three different recipes into one to make it.  So it really is mine.  (sort of...)
876658745_MyBlueberryCobblerRecipe.thumb.JPG.840472765abe8934649ede9809cd6fff.JPG

Ed thinks he'd like some whipped cream on it.  Talk about gilding the lily.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My first bake of the year was a classic English-style egg custard tart.

1992892413_CustardTart.thumb.png.e040e55108c1e88694f88f8f33edc83b.png

It's from a recipe by Marcus Wareing who served it in his two Michelin star restaurant in London. That makes it sound a little more grand than it actually is: after all, it's just a custard tart. Having said that, it did win the first series of Great British Menu and he subsequently made it for The Queen. Unfortunately, royal protocol dictates that we'll never know whether she liked it or not. However, I can tell you that mine was very nice. 😜

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

1 minute ago, Pete Fred said:

it's just a custard tart

Ah.  But not so easy to get it just right. Yours looks perfect. It has been many years since I had a custard tart. I would be happy to sample yours.😋

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have an aunt who lives in Mississauga. Sadly, the last time I visited was in the 80s, with no future plans to return; otherwise I'd be requisitioning her kitchen and dropping by with a slice or three.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

I have an aunt who lives in Mississauga. Sadly, the last time I visited was in the 80s, with no future plans to return; otherwise I'd be requisitioning her kitchen and dropping by with a slice or three.

What a delightful sentiment. Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Carrot cake with brown butter, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, nutmeg, vanilla, orange zest and a little cinnamon.

Served with sweetened cream cheese mixed yogurt and lightly whipped.

IMG_20181227_205008.jpg

IMG_20181227_210510.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:24 PM, curls said:

Should be like taking chocolates thru... just get them swabbed and examined. Did TSA take your brownies away @RobertM?

No, they didn’t take it, but there was a great deal of concentrated attention directed towards me....including the head of the bomb squad .....and a close (but not quite) strip search......

• Sad 2

Another custard tart. This time it's the salted caramel one that Phil Howard served a few years back at his two Michelin star joint in Mayfair. (The UK guide certainly seemed enamoured with uncomplicated desserts back then!)

766052386_SaltedCaramelTart.thumb.jpg.3cce58d305f28570a93d1ec71892ecfe.jpg

I like to take my caramel quite far - in this instance over 190°C (375°F). And I was quite bold with the salt.

Oh, and I brûléed the top for giggles coz, well, what's the point of having a torch if you're not gonna use it? 😉 It didn't add much to the party, other than a pleasingly delicate snap when digging in.

1434320540_SaltedCaramelBrulee.jpg.a1ea861f6445d7b2db3f5cba25ebe44b.jpg

And I always look forward to freezing the leftovers, which magically transform into a kind of biscuity, ice cream fudge. Yum.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Here's a good, old fashioned English steamed pudding made with beef suet.

303743159_SteamedGingerPudding.thumb.jpg.26e523727cc9939170bcfea35b2f7119.jpg

It's the ginger pudding that Simon Hopkinson served at Bibendum in the 90s. Alain Ducasse thought it "one of the best things he'd ever eaten". The pressure of that evening's service caused Mr Hopkinson to suffer what he described as a "mini-breakdown" and shortly afterwards he left the world of professional kitchens, never to return. So it's a pudding with quite a tale.

I had mine with thick cream, but props to the fearless amongst us who went all-in and had custard too. Mentalists!

1693124768_SteamedGingerPuddingwithCustardandCream.thumb.jpg.0c24fed4724bfe871a105fac0846ed2d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

January 8 at 2:55 PM · 
Today I made a pumpkin pie. I did not use a recipe. I've made so many pumpkin pies in my lifetime that I don't require a recipe. Besides this was going to be an experiment.
I only had one small can of pumpkin, not enough for a pie. However, I had a jar of Mexican candied pumpkin in syrup that was a couple of months past its "use by" date. This is very firm chunks of pumpkin that is usually sliced because it is a bit too firm for easy snacking.
I put that, along with its syrup in the food processor and pulsed it till it was in small bits.
I then added the can of solid pack pumpkin.  Pulsed to all pureed.
Also added 4 eggs and about 2/3 cup of heavy cream, that I had left in a carton from last week.
I did not add any additional sugar. I figured the syrup from the candied pumpkin would be enough.
Instead of the usual nutmeg, I decided to use MACE for the major flavor profile, since I had a large jar from Penzeys and I like mace. I used 2 teaspoons and lesser amounts of cinnamon - 1/2  teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (Wynad).
Mixed it all in the food processor, poured into a crumb crust. Baked for 50 minutes at 350°F.
Turned out pretty good.

16920338_Pumpkinpie1.thumb.jpg.b7902cc0dcc3cc3a693e14a7528040cb.jpg

1191415149_Pumpkinpie2.thumb.jpg.dfc5318aae198d5566f0041a4772f8ad.jpg

• Like 12

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Tonight’s dessert - Carrot Cake with a piped cream cheese frosting.  I put the toasted pecans in the Thermomix for about 15 seconds and mixed the resulting paste in with the frosting.  Same great flavor, just a slight smoother non-crunchy texture24ED8590-D556-48A6-A5A8-D3E097647E0B.thumb.jpeg.1d741ebfcc2dd2c819fba8f4474f07a3.jpeg

• Like 12

Oh, those are PRETTY! I love a carrot cake, and have made them by the Silver Palate recipe, which is a good one. But I don't make them often because they make a HUGE dang cake.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It was the Old Russian New Year this week, so we celebrated with Russian party food and fortune-telling.

As I'm forbidden from making the classic dishes, I was relegated to dessert, booze and chiromancie.

I dug out the old standby, the Medovik I put together a few years ago with help from the many fine minds here at eGullet, but played around with the presentation a little to make it more wintery.

265268149_Finished5.0.thumb.jpg.30dbca92c45c76db29a04cb9c8c686ed.jpg

I used pine honey this time, though, so the honey flavour was a lot more pronounced.  

• Like 14