• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Tomorrow is my granddaughter’s 19th birthday. These are her favourite brownies.

E0E85D2C-DBCB-4941-A3D6-78FAC5CE017D.thumb.jpeg.a86d4fc35ba77cb8428bab06e96d3a45.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

nice

with some outstanding whipped cream ?

I sure hope so 1

I suspect she will have them “straight up”. She is a bit of a purist that way when it comes to brownies.  She inhales them and I’m not sure how well whipped cream would work when inhaled. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Baked a chocolate bundt for the office Halloween party. It needs to cool. Tomorrow morning, I'll pour on a chcolate glaze and add some Halloween sprinkles (there were on sale at World Market).423779001_IMG_5394-chocolatebundt-halloweendecor.jpg.10194607b597d9891223c6d045e239de.jpg.

• Like 10

Dayum Kim!!! I'm impressed and jealous of all those who get the chance to take home some of these goodies! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

I've been playing around with different finishes recently, and come to the conclusion that glazes are overrated.  Go rough and crumpled!

Apple, pear and molasses cake

1752368199_Appleandpear.thumb.jpg.d67b80af160f465644804dd4967b3165.jpg

Speculoos base

Apple genoise

Pear tatin

Apple butter

Molasses and tonka chantilly

Crushed speculoos

Candied pear

(Actually the second attempt.  Fittingly, for Halloween, the first was a clear-glazed nightmare, in which each of my attempts to make it look better just made it more and more like foie gras in aspic.  The horror. THE HORROR.)

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2018 at 4:40 AM, jmacnaughtan said:

I've been playing around with different finishes recently, and come to the conclusion that glazes are overrated.  Go rough and crumpled!

Apple, pear and molasses cake

1752368199_Appleandpear.thumb.jpg.d67b80af160f465644804dd4967b3165.jpg

Speculoos base

Apple genoise

Pear tatin

Apple butter

Molasses and tonka chantilly

Crushed speculoos

Candied pear

(Actually the second attempt.  Fittingly, for Halloween, the first was a clear-glazed nightmare, in which each of my attempts to make it look better just made it more and more like foie gras in aspic.  The horror. THE HORROR.)

Cool!  Do you use a mold to get that effect?

8 hours ago, RuthWells said:

Cool!  Do you use a mold to get that effect?

Not at all - I spread some chantilly onto a sheet of acetate, put another sheet on top and crumpled it.  Then I just pushed down a cake ring on top of that and froze it before putting the crumple layer on the cake.

It would probably be easier to do it directly onto the cake as it was assembled though...

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 10:05 PM, RWood said:

Some cookies I made for Kitty911's bake sale this weekend. They've helped us a lot with TNR on many ferals. And, with vet visits for our outdoor residents. 

5A403A0E-51DA-478E-A1F1-59474FEBD6A8.jpeg

EC4B5BA2-352F-492A-B754-D21A868B3554.jpeg

Those are amazing.  Sure wish I could do work like that.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Those are amazing.  Sure wish I could do work like that.

Thanks! I don't make this type thing much, and I'm still working on getting more dimension in my faces. But, these came out better than last time. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, RWood said:

Thanks! I don't make this type thing much, and I'm still working on getting more dimension in my faces. But, these came out better than last time. 

The eyes on  the lollipops are especially good! They seem shiny and the little white dots on the sides of the pupil make it look like reflected light. Great work.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I made the prune cake I grew up with yesterday. It's kind of an unusual recipe that I'm pretty sure we got off the Sunsweet prunes container. It's made with buttermilk in both the cake and the glaze and the cake is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and contains chopped walnuts.

The cake is moist to start with and then you poke it all over while still hot with a skewer and pour on a glaze, so it comes out really moist and good. Not much of a flashy looker, but I have never served this to anyone who didn't love it, including prune haters.

The glaze is weird. It has butter, sugar, a weench of corn syrup and baking soda. If you make this cake, use a much larger pan than you think you will need for the glaze. The soda makes it foam up during the boiling to four times the size! I guess this brings a lightness to what would otherwise be a heavy glaze that allows it to penetrate the cake. I cut the sugar way down, as usual from the original recipe, and I think I will cut it even further next time. 

This was made in the CSO in the smallest of my French White Corning ware casserole dishes. We used to always make this in a Bundt pan, and while my Bundt pan fits in the CSO, I just think a full recipe would've risen too near the top elements. So I cut the recipe in half which is perfect for me cooking for just myself.

It's so good I grabbed a small piece as soon as I woke up.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <