• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

@ElsieD  Yep, that's the one.   I forgot all about the cranberries!  I had decided not to use cranberries right from the git-go because no one here likes them much, except at Thanksgiving. The apples were very tart, and they provided the balance that I think the berries might have added.  I completely forgot they were part of the recipe.  

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

We found a pick-your-own place nearby and ended up with a load of rhubarb and apples.  It's still too warm for crumbles, so I made a cake...

...which ended up tasting and eating a lot like a crumble :/

Rhubarb and apple cake

1189906459_Rhubarbandapple.thumb.jpg.9ed6a37eadfe8b4326faf995c0de0bdb.jpg

Speculoos and ginger crunch

Set rhubarb compote

Pain d'épices

Apple tatin

Muscovado chantilly

Glaze

Candied pear

591071829_Rhubarbandapplecut.thumb.jpg.749b410fc3c8f593a00108362184fec4.jpg

The apple tatin is my favourite part.

• Like 17

I'm finally done with my new cake. Lesson learned; do not let it sit outside of the fridge for two hours. It will lose its shape. :D 

Edit: why not let you know what it's made of?

Top to bottom;

Gianduja mousse

Hazelnut mousseline

Hazelnut praliné

Hazelnut crisp

Hazelnut sponge

image.thumb.png.7ddb9f271e049780e9503e848c15eafe.png

image.thumb.png.d42bc78c00c16cdb41f97ed15f926fd4.png

Edited by Rajala
Added more info (log)
  • Like 18

Here's the Coconut, Almond and Raspberry Cake from Ottolenghi "Sweet". He uses blueberries in the book, but they're so spectacularly bland here in the UK I've learned to steer clear. Why on earth he would choose to use them is beyond me.

1786064694_RaspberryandCoconutCake.thumb.jpg.2ae0d027116b5c3a2033a8382b367af1.jpg

I liked it. Very good texture. The coconut was quite subtle, but present. I contemplated adding some crushed freeze-dried raspberries for a more pronounced hit but decided to go as-is for the first attempt. Definitely next time, though. Or maybe add a hint rose for an Hermé Ispahan vibe.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

A6E9ACAF-D208-4C2F-88EC-39FE26CD5913.thumb.jpeg.89a182a7597d91b0801902b1f6616455.jpeg

Copycat Spiced Wafers from here.

Since I have never seen these or tasted them I cannot be sure how close they are to the manufactured ones. 

449F9197-E1F4-4306-9BA6-F54DBC394C70.thumb.jpeg.20c226750210be24af1ee53ecb44ec51.jpeg

There was some complaint that the wafers in the linked recipe were not dark enough.

I am showing you this one on parchment paper to give you an idea of the colour. 

2EF4180F-0249-4E3E-857D-B3B144788FD9.thumb.jpeg.ec4dcbc1a4d044137443f53dae4c56b9.jpeg

Where the recipe says that these spread – – believe it!  

I found I got a much better looking cookies using an almost new quarter sheet pan than those baked on well used and hence darker ones. 

Whether or not these resemble the commercial version they are damn good cookies.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A6E9ACAF-D208-4C2F-88EC-39FE26CD5913.thumb.jpeg.89a182a7597d91b0801902b1f6616455.jpeg

Since I have never seen these or tasted them I cannot be sure how close they are to the manufactured ones. 

449F9197-E1F4-4306-9BA6-F54DBC394C70.thumb.jpeg.20c226750210be24af1ee53ecb44ec51.jpeg

There was some complaint that the wafers in the linked recipe were not dark enough.

I am showing you this one on parchment paper to give you an idea of the colour. 

2EF4180F-0249-4E3E-857D-B3B144788FD9.thumb.jpeg.ec4dcbc1a4d044137443f53dae4c56b9.jpeg

Where the recipe says that these spread – – believe it!  

I found I got a much better looking cookies using an almost new quarter sheet pan than those baked on well used and hence darker ones. 

Whether or not these resemble the commercial version they are damn good cookies.  

Brilliant!  They look just right...a few might be a touch over done. They are great cookies indeed.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Brilliant!  They look just right...a few might be a touch over done. They are great cookies indeed.

Thank you.  No worries. The over done ones are the bestest!   I will claim those.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Ditto.  Does that mean these are copy-copycat cookies?

IMG_8940.thumb.jpg.ba61a4886e6d27063c07d7716975c90d.jpg

241166006_IMG_8939(1).thumb.jpg.25d59d8a1b6182818623b334952a3bc5.jpg

I use a small cookie scoop that delivered 15g of dough and baked up into 65mm diameter cookies.  The recipe yielded 55 cookies vs the predicted 3 dozen. Baked on a silpat lined baking sheet.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Going to make these soon as the new sorghum comes out of the mills. Likely next month.

For those who don't live close to the source, "new sorghum" has a distinctly different taste from sorghum molasses after it ages a few weeks. Very bright and almost citrusy. It was always an occasion when one could get the first "new sorghum" of the year (they'd announce it on the news on the local radio station. Major big deal), and I knew what dinner  would be that night. Country bacon, crackling cornbread, canned tomatoes and new sorghum. And there was a very specific way to eat it. One put a couple of tablespoons of butter on one's plate, poured a similar amount of sorghum over it, and mixed the two with the blade of a knife. Then one spread dollops of it on the cornbread, a bite at a time. (I always dipped my bacon in it, too.

The tomatoes were a nod to having a vegetable on the table, and served to cut the richness of the other items, as well.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I use a small cookie scoop that delivered 15g of dough and baked up into 65mm diameter cookies.  The recipe yielded 55 cookies vs the predicted 3 dozen. Baked on a silpat lined baking sheet.

Next time I will definitely try a smaller scoop. They are delicious but I don’t need all the calories! Small cookies suit me better and you can share 55 cookies so many ways!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Going to make these soon as the new sorghum comes out of the mills. Likely next month.

I’m probably being quite dense but what are “these”?

My 2004 eG Blog

I’ve been on a bit of a jag the past two weeks. 

Too many macarons (dark chocolate, pistachio and cherry, lime, spumoni, s’mores, and plain pistachio):

6DC2ECC9-FB6F-4861-99AE-AD76259E02AA.thumb.jpeg.512184eaa276d798d67182664f7572e0.jpeg

Lemon cake with lemon buttercream, filled with lemon curd and topped with candied Meyer lemon slices for my 9-year old’s birthday:

EDD3646C-3486-40E3-BE44-1FAFB721FE11.thumb.jpeg.6227322cecac20f3da365acb9a96a0ea.jpeg

Pear frangipane tartlets from pears we grew:

707F13D5-013F-4AE3-A823-EE54C76354E2.thumb.jpeg.a2be6efebf9efe13b8368dddb09d5d98.jpeg

Homemade Oreos:

713672EB-99D2-4F66-82BA-E61CAE19F6C5.thumb.jpeg.b65076134962231f954a0f0d99df523b.jpeg

• Like 20

This is still a work in progress, but I HAD to post it. This is a sexy looking, tart Thimbleberry ganache, that will end up in a bon bon eventually.  I've never successfully made a Thimbleberry ganache--- so I am just freakin happy about it!  It is a unique flavor to work with.  

IMG_3097.JPG

• Like 9

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

On 8/28/2018 at 4:46 PM, Kim Shook said:

I agree with @rotuts.  I think you should try plumping them up in some kind of liquid.  But I am mesmerized by how perfectly spaced they are!!!

I'm a bit late coming in on this but thought perhaps you might be interested in trying real black currants, freeze-dried. from Nuts.com

I use some for baking but mostly I use them to make a black currant drink, often combined with hibiscus and sweetened with stevia since these two things are so strongly flavored, they overpower the residual flavor of the stevia.  You can eat them out of hand but they are extremely tart.  For baking for each half cut, I mix about 3 tablespoons of sugar into the dry berries and just cover with hot water, putting a weight on top so they stay submerged.  They are pretty well plumped after an hour.  

They are very light so 2 pounds is a large volume.  I ordered 2 pounds last December.  It filled this 8 liter container and I still have this much left and I used a lot for drinks during the hot weather. 

HPIM2061.thumb.jpg.217201aebaa4ad7fad07d3e262ff2a7a.jpg

HPIM2062.thumb.jpg.577130a6c647acec13115bf60d2a69c8.jpg

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

11 hours ago, kayb said:

The tomatoes were a nod to having a vegetable on the table, and served to cut the richness of the other items, as well.

Sorry but this threw me.  Did not know what this had to do with spiced wafers.

Edited by Anna N
To add a sentence. (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Sorry but this threw me.  Did not know what this had to do with spiced wafers.

Nothing, other than the fact it has to do with sorghum molasses. Just one of my mutitude of flights of digression. Oh, look! A squirrel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Nothing, other than the fact it has to do with sorghum molasses. Just one of my mutitude of flights of digression. Oh, look! A squirrel!

Gotcha.  I’ve been guilty of that myself and my best friend is frequently guilty of it.  Aren’t you @Kerry Beal?

Edited by Anna N
Grammar (log)
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, kayb said:

For those who don't live close to the source, "new sorghum" has a distinctly different taste from sorghum molasses after it ages a few weeks. Very bright and almost citrusy.

Wow, that sounds wonderful.  Is there particular brand/maker you use?  Do they have an online store?  Is it even feasible to want "new sorghum" outside of its area of production?