• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Nigel Slater's Cake for Midsummer with peaches and blueberries

IMG_8693.thumb.jpg.da5be997d4c946cb8efd711ce4f6d820.jpg

Very similar to the Marian Burros Original Plum Torte from the dreaded NYT.  

Differences are golden caster sugar instead of white and the addition of ground almonds, a bit of orange zest and vanilla extract.

Chopped peaches and blueberries are stirred in instead of being placed on top in larger slices. 

I used white peaches because the ones I had were really ripe.  Sadly, they're about the same color as the cake so they don't stand out.  Should have sliced them and put them on top. 

IMG_8694.thumb.jpg.c95ec5244a712d30b35fb1dc39c9bc1b.jpg

I sliced this up, removed a very small sliver for quality control :D, smooshed it all back into a circle and packed it up in a pizza box to take down to my peach peeps at the farmers market. 

Edited to add that the peach peeps liked the cake and gifted me with ~ 6 lbs of very ripe peaches I can play with.

Edited by blue_dolphin
free peaches (log)
  • Like 16

I made Chelsea Buns, which I suppose are kind of a UK version of cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. It's an enriched dough filled with brown sugar, spice and currants. I used individual 10 cm (4 inch) rings rather than baking them in the traditional stuck-together way. Here they are before proofing and after baking.

1921126360_ChelseaBuns.thumb.png.19633c41e90c49985b1649119cd0a198.png

That pool of liquid is a sticky glaze (simple syrup) that's poured over the buns for the last two minutes of baking. As it cooled and thickened a little, I scooped it up and poured it back on top and down the sides of the buns. The original recipe - by Justin Gellatly in the Bread Ahead Cookbook - flavours the syrup with Cassis, but I had none. I wish I'd have used some other flavouring to lift it because it was just too one-dimensional sweet. Vanilla or citrus would have helped. The currants are traditional, but they're pretty tasteless so I think raisins would be better next time.

1952928288_ChelseaBun.thumb.jpg.2f1c4de8e7e59d3d31f651e9e8fd5571.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

3 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

I think raisins would be better next time.

If you're lucky, you'll never know the full extent of the rabbit hole you just went down with that... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Pete Fred

fine stuff

why do you think your currants were flavo(u)r less ?

I have not seen any at Trader Joes for a long time , but I liked them  way back when

which is meaningless.

consider other dried fruit , which you might need to chop to get to the right size

a pain I know

why not flavor(u)r you simple syrup

a little honey ?   almond extract ?

I mention these  a I do love Buns Sticky or not 

just like yours

you've done the very hard part well :   you made them and baked them!

looking forward to your further Bum adventures.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

If you're lucky, you'll never know the full extent of the rabbit hole you just went down with that... :D

Oh dear. I dread to think what I've stumbled into. 😱

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

why do you think your currants were flavo(u)r less ?

I think it's just low quality supermarket produce. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. These were (I think) Zante currants, quite small and a touch gritty. The recipe called for "plump currants" so maybe he had something a little better in mind.

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

looking forward to your further Bum adventures.

I think that's for a different message board. On the Dark Web, maybe. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

if you have any currants left , hydrate them, then sate them

the small ones I got from Trader Joes

almost irrelevant 

were small and a bit gritty.

I dont recall if I hydrated them before using

but I loved the somewhat tart , ' red ' flavor they added to home made fruit cake

I did add 1/3 cut rum after baking , and matured them for 4 - 6  months

maybe the Rum got together w the dried currants ?

TJ's has not had currants , usually a few months before Christmas 

for years and years.

:/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

I made Chelsea Buns, which I suppose are kind of a UK version of cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. It's an enriched dough filled with brown sugar, spice and currants. I used individual 10 cm (4 inch) rings rather than baking them in the traditional stuck-together way. Here they are before proofing and after baking.

1921126360_ChelseaBuns.thumb.png.19633c41e90c49985b1649119cd0a198.png

That pool of liquid is a sticky glaze (simple syrup) that's poured over the buns for the last two minutes of baking. As it cooled and thickened a little, I scooped it up and poured it back on top and down the sides of the buns. The original recipe - by Justin Gellatly in the Bread Ahead Cookbook - flavours the syrup with Cassis, but I had none. I wish I'd have used some other flavouring to lift it because it was just too one-dimensional sweet. Vanilla or citrus would have helped. The currants are traditional, but they're pretty tasteless so I think raisins would be better next time.

1952928288_ChelseaBun.thumb.jpg.2f1c4de8e7e59d3d31f651e9e8fd5571.jpg

I agree with @rotuts.  I think you should try plumping them up in some kind of liquid.  But I am mesmerized by how perfectly spaced they are!!!

• Like 7

I took a Flan Parisien round to a friend's. (Hence the artier than usual photography.) In French it's crème pâtissière in a pâte brisée case; in English it's a custard tart; and in American it'd be pastry cream pie, I guess.

700264173_FlanParisien.thumb.jpg.d29f7553b3cfcb68e38bbe92b31dcf73.jpg

And here's a bonus picture taken back at mine that demonstrates exactly how expensive vanilla beans are becoming these days.

1399108003_VanillaFlan.thumb.jpg.ee452e4c63c3f77744d2af78b9873d41.jpg

A couple of years back, there would've been waaaaaaaaay more seeds than this paltry amount. 😞

• Like 13

These are (sort of) the Cinnamon and Cardamom Scrolls from the Bread Ahead Cookbook. I swapped in a more brioche-y dough which resulted in quite a significant vertical rise...

2123020700_CinnamonScrolls.thumb.jpg.70029f68aadb60487e1922d545696ba2.jpg

This bugged me initially, but the more I look at them the more character they seem to have. So, rather than reducing the size of each bun, I'll keep it the same.

Like the Chelsea Buns from earlier in the week, they get a thorough drenching with sticky glaze, this time made with a mixture of orange and lemon juice, which works well...

853628528_CinnamonScroll.thumb.jpg.9973ded846dbe97289db577516fca0d3.jpg

I don't think I've ever met a cinnamon bun I didn't like, and this was no exception; soft, sticky and very tasty. Will make again.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

The annual Pear Brown Betty.  This year made with D'Anjou pears and baked in individual dishes.  It's based on a recipe that dates back to Colonial times.  And while it's very simple, it's just about the best sweet I make this time of year.  Diced pears are mixed with brown sugar and a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg.  Then fresh white breadcrumbs made from basic Wonder bread, then tossed with melted butter. 

Pear Brown Betty.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

1ACBD1E4-CA1B-4963-8FFC-BEC64AB82164.thumb.jpeg.994b68eb3a901c1644d37d94220c128f.jpeg

Just a few of the 80+ chocolate chip cookies I made for my daughter this morning. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been trying to figure out the perfect temperature for my oven to bake these things correctly. The struggle! Just when I think I have it a batch turns out weird and it's back to the drawing board. Good thing even the wonky ones taste good. 😅 IMG_0267-1.thumb.jpg.990cbcab31cd57e40524cf9167e20355.jpg

Edited by trisme11
Tiny texts (log)
  • Like 12

For some reason I've gotten on this tart in a shortbread crust craze recently.  This is a peach tart made with peaches some friends picked for me.  It's a u-pick orchard and they didn't remember exactly the variety of peaches they picked, but there were red peaches and some small white ones in the mix.  The topping is simply just some of the shortbread dough crumbled over the top.  I took it to a dinner club last night that meets once a month.  No peach tart leftovers so I guess they liked it.

Fresh Peach Tart.JPG

• Like 14

Apples are getting ripe early this year. I seized the opportunity to go pick back in the cow's inner paddock, while they feasted on hay. Had to tip-toe through a lot of crap (literally) to reach the best trees. For dessert this evening, I found a recipe for Apple Upside-down cake on Saveur.  So here it is..... Caramel could have cooked a bit longer, but pretty tasty for the first attempt. 

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

• Like 13

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: